PDA

View Full Version : Serotta CDA vs. Colnago Master X-light

muskypicke
04-30-2009, 11:26 AM
It's come down to these two models. Anyone have any insight/opinions on strengths or weaknesses of these two frames. Your expert analysis is highly appreciated.

Thank you!

97CSI
04-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Have had both over the past 5-6 years. Both were stock. I preferred the Colnago, but let me tell you why. I rode it with OPs laced to Record hubs and rode the CDA on Ksyrium SLs. There is a very big difference between these wheels, which I did not realize at the time. The SLs made the CDA very stiff. So much so that I found it uncomfortable. If I had been smart I would have at least gone to 25c on the SLs. But, I wasn't and blamed the frameset. My mistake. If I had put on a comfy set of wheels I might still be riding the CDA. I got rid of the Colnago as it was too 'fancy' for my view of myself (I am quite pedestrian). This was my learning experience on just how big a difference a set of wheels can make. Unfortunately, I learned this after the CDA and not during or before. If I had to choose today, I would go with the CDA and a set of Proton or Neutron wheels and 25c tires. Based on fit and finish, the CDA was a much nicer bike than the Colnago.

fixednwinter
04-30-2009, 12:20 PM
I owned a Master Carbon and a Master X-Light. Have never owned a CDA, but I currently own two American-made bikes (Hampsten IF-built).

Like 97CSI, I found the Colnago's finish to be not at the same level as American high-end these days. The IF-built Hampsten paint and finish is at a very high and durable standard. I found both Colnago's to have paint that chipped easily and some of the masking was not even.

Having said that, the style of paint my Colnago's had were very pretty. They have a bling look to them, with their bright paint and chrome ( on the X-Light, that included the rear triangle) that attracts a lot of attention. At a recent event, I saw a fellow rider on a Master with the Saronni colours (dark red and white panels) and it was extremely good looking.

Ride-wise, I liked the diamond-shaped tubing of the Master very much. Fit - for me: I had stock frames, so I had to use an extremely laid-back seatpost (32.5mm setback FSA) to get my correct position, as the seat angle is very steep (for me).

I used both hand-built wheels and factory aero (Easton Circuit and Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL). Same effect on me as 97CSI - harsher ride with the factory wheels and 23mm tires.

I like the ride of my Hampsten's (853/Platinum round tubing) and the fit is perfect - but the Hampsten's are custom and the Master's were not, so not quite a fair comparison.

thwart
04-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Just sold a Master X Light (to a friend), and replaced it---so to speak---with a 2007 CDA. Not exactly apples to apples, as the CDA has a bit more upright geometry. This was dictated by some chronic shoulder issues.

Different bikes, both great to ride. Both descend as well as any other bike I've ridden. The CDA has a slightly smoother ride, yet still very snappy feeling and alive. Yet the 'Nag was such a visual treat, on or off the bike.

If I had both around I would undoubtedly ride the CDA more often, regardless of the shoulder thing.

Marcusaurelius
04-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Never had a CDA but I had a CSI and Colorado III and if I had it to do over again I would get CDA with down tube cable stops since I've developed a liking for down tube shifters. I don't believe the new Colnago Masterlight has down tube cable stops.

A minor details perhaps.