PDA

View Full Version : Custom frame available

Jack Brunk
04-29-2009, 11:55 AM
I noticed that Dave Kirk has a new just built ready for paint frame available because a customer had to back out. If anyone is interested they should contact Dave for a great frame. Pictures look incredible as usual. Pics are on the web site. Just an FYI.

dannyg1
04-29-2009, 12:30 PM
It's a 57 c2c squared. 73 degrees sq. if I'm remembering what I read (Maybe 72?)

Louis
04-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Link (http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/) to more info.

I Want Sachs?
04-29-2009, 04:38 PM
I would probably not call this a custom frame since it was built with someone's body in mind. (Custom for the original owner, but not for the new owner.) I have not doubt that this will be a great riding bike for the right size person, but just not custom. Just a pet peeve of mine to have the designation correct.

:beer:

rnhood
04-29-2009, 04:49 PM
$2900 for a custom frameset built for someone else??

I will pass. But I'm sure it is a nice bike for the right person.

Bob Ross
04-29-2009, 04:55 PM
I noticed that Dave Kirk has a new just built ready for paint frame available because a customer had to back out.

I feel bad for Dave (and for the original customer) but given the current economic climate I can't say I'm surprised. What I am surprised about is Dave saying this is the first time that a customer has backed out of an order.

Late last summer, when this whole economic house of cards was starting to tumble, a friend of mine who worked in the Financial Services Sector predicted that the wait time for my Sachs would be shorter than originally expected. His theory was that a lot of folks already in the queue for a high-end custom steel bike are folks whose discretionary income is tied into Wall Street, and that many of those folks would panic and pull out.

If this is the first time someone's pulled out of Dave's queue, I hope that means my friend was wrong. Not that I wouldn't mind getting my Sachs a little sooner, but I'd prefer business remain good for all custom builders.

I'll bet Dave finds a buyer fairly soon. Heck, if my wife weren't already in panic mode I'd probably be double-checking those measurements: 57cm is damn close to my ideal!

Smiley
04-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Wow, and I thought Brunk was getting taller, call me when your a 58 cm size Jack :)

gearguywb
04-29-2009, 07:54 PM
That will be a grat bike for someone. I am still holding out for a 56 or 57 peg or vanilla...anyone have one that needs a new home?

toaster
04-29-2009, 08:55 PM
$2900 for a custom frameset built for someone else??

I will pass. But I'm sure it is a nice bike for the right person.

So, who is a Specialized Tarmac built for? I know it isn't custom but any custom doesn't just work for just a single human being either. A little checking into the concept and sizing will sort it out.

dogdriver
04-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Beautiful. Can you clearcoat steel to show off the work?

Jack Brunk
04-29-2009, 09:24 PM
There are a lot of guys out there than can ride a 57cm square and it would be a CUSTOM frame. Dave doesn't make a run of the mill 57cm frame. IF you look at his work and it doesn't wow you then it's not for you. No worries from Dave I'm sure. His frames are some of the best on the market today and if you want a 57cm frame then there's one that's really far along in the line. Jump in.

Climb01742
04-30-2009, 05:23 AM
There are a lot of guys out there than can ride a 57cm square and it would be a CUSTOM frame. Dave doesn't make a run of the mill 57cm frame. IF you look at his work and it doesn't wow you then it's not for you. No worries from Dave I'm sure. His frames are some of the best on the market today and if you want a 57cm frame then there's one that's really far along in the line. Jump in.

hey, mr b, when can we see pictures of your new kirk?

Sandy
04-30-2009, 06:00 AM
I think Dave Kirk's offering is rather straightforward. You are being offered a new beautiful steel lugged frameset, built by Dave Kirk and painted by Joe Bell, to be delivered in approximately 2 1/2 months as opposed to the existing 9 month wait for the aforementioned combination of superb builder and equally superb painter. The price is what Dave needs/wants for his product. If in fact the size/price works for you, it is an opportunity for you to receive and use an outstanding steel lugged frameset this cycling season.

Sandy

goonster
04-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Can you clearcoat steel to show off the work?
Yes, but it yellows over time. Might look good for a year or two.

JeffS
04-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Yes, but it yellows over time. Might look good for a year or two.

Really? I thought clear powder would maintain it's color, or lack thereof.

goonster
04-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Really? I thought clear powder would maintain it's color, or lack thereof.
The powder does. The steel underneath does not.