PDA

View Full Version : Removing silkscreened printing from Campy alloy

Steve in SLO
04-29-2009, 01:04 AM
I want to build up a bike up with Centaur alloy components and would like to simplify the appearance of the components for aesthetic reasons by removing the silkscreened logos.
I would rather not sand or polish the components. Has anyone had success with solvents? I have tried acetone, mineral spirits, isopropyl alcohol and Goof-off, all without success. Has anyone been successful with chemicals?
Thanks,
Steve

Gothard
04-29-2009, 01:29 AM
the scripts are placed on the parts before anodising. You can not remove them without removing the anodising.
Polishing the whole part is the only aesthetically viable solution, followed or not by anodising again.

Steve in SLO
04-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks, Gothard.
I didn't realize that, but it now makes sense, given the seeming impossibility of removing it with solvents.

benb
04-29-2009, 10:54 AM
If you want to try one last thing try brake cleaner. (for car brakes, not bicycle brakes)

Don't get it anywhere near paint, bearings, or anything rubber or plastic though. (There, I warned you)

Jeff N.
04-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Easy-Off oven cleaner'll do it, but it'll remove the anodizing, everything. You may not like the result. Use at your own risk. Jeff N.