PDA

View Full Version : How outdated and obsolete is campy 8 speed?

Nautilus
04-28-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm in the process of buying my first geared road bike (early 90's Serotta or Merckx) and I'm curious if I'll regret an 8 speed set up in the long run...

I'm only 22, and I plan on keeping this bike for a very long time. I don't race, and I don't need 18 gears but I do want campy ergo levers.

With that as my primary requirement, a campy 8 speed setup seems to be the most economical way for me to get there. I also prefer the classic look of the old levers and derailleurs that don't say anything but campagnolo on them.

My concern is that 5-10 or so years down the road I'm not going to be able to find cassettes or other parts, is this a valid concern? As of now, they seem to be cheap compared to 9/10 speed stuff.

Also, would I be able to easily convert 8 speed levers to be 9/10 speed compatible in the future?

Thanks for any replies...

bfd
04-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Limited. Currently, only 12-23 or 13-26 cassettes are available (from Campy), you can only use those $10-25 chains and only levers available are the "pointy" style hood ergo levers. Of course, those 8 speed "pointy" hood ergos can only be upgrade to 9 spd, not 10 or 11!

Bottom line, if you don't mind the embarassment and "low-tech" jokes you'll be getting from your riding pals, I say GET IT AND RIDE! :)

Nautilus
04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks! What's with these $10-25 chains? They aren't loud are they? Noise is the main aversion I've had to going with a geared road bike.

bfd
04-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks! What's with these $10-25 chains? They aren't loud are they? Noise is the main aversion I've had to going with a geared road bike.

Actually, nothing is wrong with 8 speed chains. In fact, at $10-25, its actually a bargain compared to the more expensive 9, 10 or even 11spd chains. Since chains are consumables, like cassettes, tires and brake pads, I would get the cheapest and ride!

redir
04-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Campy 8 speed is/was loved by many. It still fetches a good price too.

dookie
04-28-2009, 02:35 PM
i just did a 'period-correct' restoration and had no major problems sourcing new or excellent used 8s record gear. it took some looking, and occasionally some paying, but no bending over backwards.

5-10 years from now is a real stretch though. if it were me (and it is), i'd grab up some of the consumables to have on the shelf when needed...cassettes, chains, ergo hoods, maybe an ergo index ring if i could find one.

the sram 8s chains work great...pc-68?

palincss
04-28-2009, 02:44 PM
My concern is that 5-10 or so years down the road I'm not going to be able to find cassettes or other parts, is this a valid concern? As of now, they seem to be cheap compared to 9/10 speed stuff.

One approach would be to stockpile a 5-10 year supply (while they're cheap).

Who knows what's going to be obsolete 10 years from now? I'm constantly surprised that the full range of Shimano 7spd cassettes seems to be available, but in the past year many of the 8spd cassettes (especially those without 11T sprockets) were discontinued.

palincss
04-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Bottom line, if you don't mind the embarassment and "low-tech" jokes you'll be getting from your riding pals, I say GET IT AND RIDE! :)

Atmo, it's people who make stupid "low-tech jokes" who ought to be ashamed of themselves. Who needs "pals" like that?

draper
04-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I was on my Serotta with 8 speed record yesterday for 50 miles. Kept up just fine in the go fast group. Nobody laughed going up hill.

Hell, nobody laughs at the 5 speed record on my old Trek, either.

Enjoy your bike!

John M
04-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Also, would I be able to easily convert 8 speed levers to be 9/10 speed compatible in the future?

Thanks for any replies...

If the 8s is fuctional, get it and ride it into the ground. Only need to replace and chain and cassette likely, and only once or twice for the cassette in 5 years depending on you mileage. Chains are cheap. 9s Campy compatible chainrings work fine with 8s and are readily available. Besides, in 5-10 years, you will be older, probably have more money and a nice Serotta or Merckx frame will with worth the upgrade to whatever is readily available at that time. Maybe 12s by then..... :)

fiamme red
04-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Hey, 9-speed and 10-speed are obsolete too, so why not go with 8-speed?

How long will 11-speed be on the market before it's superceded by 12-speed?

As Oscar Wilde said, "Nothing is so dangerous as being too modern; one is apt to grow old-fashioned quite suddenly."

Pete Serotta
04-28-2009, 04:31 PM
:banana: :banana: :beer: QUOTE=fiamme red]Hey, 9-speed and 10-speed are obsolete too, so why not go with 8-speed?

How long will 11-speed be on the market before it's superceded by 12-speed?

As Oscar Wilde said, "Nothing is so dangerous as being too modern; one is apt to grow old-fashioned quite suddenly."[/QUOTE]

Ken Robb
04-28-2009, 04:54 PM
I read this OP to say that he is thinking of buying some 8 speed gear. I think that there's nothing at all wrong with that idea but he may find 9 or even 10 speed stuff at about the same price. I see so much more of that offered than I do 8 speed these days I'm wondering if 8 speed has become "collectable". I'm riding 7,9,10 speed stuff from Shim and Campy and it's all good. :banana:

dogdriver
04-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Buy it. Ride it. Plus, its always more fun to be on older equipment when you're crushing the guys with the bling. If you REALLY want to hurt them, wear a flannel shirt. Classic rides are cool. Cassic Campy is really cool.

ChipRI
04-28-2009, 05:32 PM
I bought my 90's Serotta tg with Campy 8 and I love it. And I was able to back myself up with a complete group of 8-speed components from folks here on the forum (quite reasonably) for future replacements.

Also - Dookie is correct. My LBS suggested a SRAM PC-68 chain and it's great with the Campy cassette.

shiftyfixedgear
04-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Just wait till you discover girls, junior.

That bike will be gathering dust soon after.

Good luck with em'.
You'll need it <G>

Elefantino
04-28-2009, 06:28 PM

Uh, no.

Chicks dig Campy. Chicks really dig retro, 8-speed Campy. If you were to find a six-speed Croce d'Aune setup, you wouldn't sleep for a week. At least not alone.

Nautilus
04-28-2009, 08:39 PM

Good luck with em'.
You'll need it <G>

The girlfriend has an 83 Rossin with full campy record....
She actually made me quite envious, I can't even keep up with her on my fixed gear, thus my personal endeavor into campy.

Dave
04-29-2009, 07:27 AM
Those old brake/shifter levers are hard to get parts for and they are not nearly as comfortable as the newer models. Cassette choices are limited. You'd be better off buying 2009 Veloce or Centaur.

djg
04-29-2009, 07:36 AM
I read this OP to say that he is thinking of buying some 8 speed gear. I think that there's nothing at all wrong with that idea but he may find 9 or even 10 speed stuff at about the same price. I see so much more of that offered than I do 8 speed these days I'm wondering if 8 speed has become "collectable". I'm riding 7,9,10 speed stuff from Shim and Campy and it's all good. :banana:

Exactly. The 8 speed gear is perfectly good kit, and replacement bits are still available, and if one finds a used bike with 8 speed, there's no reason that cannot work as one's main road bike. OTOH, you may be at least as likely to find good deals on more recent -- but not current -- 10 speed kit (or sometimes 9). Cassettes will be easier to find, etc. Some of the best deals may be found on pre-UT 10 speed chorus and centaur.

bfd
04-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Those old brake/shifter levers are hard to get parts for and they are not nearly as comfortable as the newer models. Cassette choices are limited. You'd be better off buying 2009 Veloce or Centaur.

The comfort of the levers is debateable. Not everyone who tries the new lever finds them comfortable. Hey, some find Shimano or Sram levers more comfortable than Campy. I think the OP has to test them for himself.

LesMiner
04-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Campagnolo maintains tech info back to 1994. That's probably the vintage of the 8 speed components you are considering. You can find drawings with part numbers for every component.

Campy Data (http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp)

Ochsners in Wheeling, Illinois carries Campy spare parts.

http://www.ochsnerusa.com/

If you enter a Campy part number, you will probably find it in the Ochsners spare parts catalog.

By the way I have a few 8 speed cogs laying around if you are interested.

dookie
04-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Ochsners in Wheeling, Illinois carries Campy spare parts.

except you have to have a dealer account...

sc53
04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
I still ride my Campy Record 8spd on my '96 CSI with no problems. I have a couple extra cassettes and chains I bought for spares but recently got a 13-28 cassette from Peter White Cycles that is compatible with my stuff for better climbing. I think the cassette is made by IRD; anyway it's contemporary but compatible with the vintage stuff. I sometimes wonder if the modern Ergo levers are more comfortable but since there's nothing wrong with my old ones I am keeping them. I don't think you'll regret riding the older stuff!

beungood
05-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I bought a Spectrum from Znfndl and it had 8spd Campy. Not had any problems with it and it was easy finding spare casettes. Due to a trade I am upgrading to 10 so make me an offer and thier yours. Brifters are spoken for.

97CSI
05-02-2009, 03:59 PM
I sometimes wonder if the modern Ergo levers are more comfortable, but since there's nothing wrong with my old ones I am keeping them. I don't think you'll regret riding the older stuff!Have put thousands of miles/hours on both and can't tell the difference. Both are very comfortable. Think the OPer will be fine. And, as chains are backward compatible, he can spend as much as he wants on them. :D

TimD
05-02-2009, 07:14 PM
A friend just bought a Ti Serotta frameset here, for an astonishingly low price. He plans to build it up with Campy 8-speed for use as a winter bike.

I just installed NOS Shimano -7700 brifters on my new-to-me Ottrott.

The only thing that makes the old stuff obsolete is the need to generate sales of newer, "better" stuff. At least the FlightDeck works on my -7700, which cannot be said for -7800...

Tim

Nautilus
05-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks so much for all the replies!
I ended up picking up an 8 speed Merckx the other day and the 8 speed's been working as I'd assumed it would.
The only problem is that It's missing the matching left lever, any one have one they'd like to sell?

97CSI
05-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Keep an eye on eBay. They come up fairly often. Though you will likely have to buy the pair. Think of the extra one as spares.

texbike
05-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks so much for all the replies!
I ended up picking up an 8 speed Merckx .........The only problem is that It's missing the matching left lever, any one have one they'd like to sell?

Hmmmm. Did you happen to snag the Motorola paint scheme MX Leader that was on ebay?

If so, congratulations! It looked like a nice bike and is actually quite rare with the Max seatstays.

Post pics when you have a chance...

Texbike

Nautilus
05-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Hmmmm. Did you happen to snag the Motorola paint scheme MX Leader that was on ebay?

If so, congratulations! It looked like a nice bike and is actually quite rare with the Max seatstays.

Post pics when you have a chance...

Texbike
Maybe... :D I'll post some pics once the bike's built up somewhat properly.