PDA

View Full Version : just ordered my first RoadID

vqdriver
04-28-2009, 12:56 PM
just filling in the info makes you really thing about things.

tv_vt
04-28-2009, 02:42 PM
I have a "thing about things" too. JMO, but if you're on this forum, you should be wearing a RoadID when you ride. Not for yourself, but for whoever has to pick up the pieces...

Thom

Waldo
04-28-2009, 03:08 PM
I use a Road ID for no other reason than it's a hell of a lot smaller than my wallet, which houses my driver's license and health insurance card.

Nathanrtaylor
04-28-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm curious what info you guys put on yours (assuming you didn't get the interactive RoadID)

I have been wearing mine religiously since I got it.

mike p
04-28-2009, 03:35 PM
I've always had it on a list of things to get but keep putting it off.

Mike

ckamp
04-28-2009, 04:30 PM
I usually just fill out the sticker that comes with a new helmet (and hope the sweat doesn't take it off). I should look into the Road ID, your talking about this right?

http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

Thanks,

Bruce K
04-28-2009, 04:49 PM
That's it.

I don't leave home without it.

I had mine haning on my bike in my classroom today and the kids started reading the info. :crap:

It makes me think long and hard about the interactive version.

BK

jimp1234
04-28-2009, 05:04 PM
I've thought about getting one, but I'm not sure it has advantages over my current system which is to take a business card write my drivers license number, health plan number (with 800 #) and wife's cell phone written on the back, and put it in my spare tire bag (along with a $5 bill). Assumption being my spare tire bag is always on the bike so I don't have to worry about forgetting to wear that bracelet thingy. And if I'm in bad enough shape where I can't talk the cop or emt will look in my tire bag along with my jersey pockets for some form of ID. (Granted this assumption could be all wrong. Any first responder/EMT care to comment?)

rePhil
04-28-2009, 05:25 PM
I keep a laminated ID in my seat bag,and wear dog style tags. One tag has basic name, address, home & wifes cell number. The other has my kids names and numbers. I purchased mine at a local flea market. The guy had an old GI issue dog tag machine that he restored. $6.50 for both.

Bruce K
04-28-2009, 06:46 PM
If you are injured, it is not very likely that anyone will be looking in your saddle bag anytime quickly to try and find ID.

If your basic info is strapped to your wrist or ankle, or on a chain around your neck, it is readily available to any and all who are trying to help you.

BK

jasond
04-28-2009, 06:48 PM
My GF bought me one for xmas and it's perfect however I still carry my license since I usually carry a debit or credit card.

Question about the interactive one. How many ambulance companies or town fire/police vehicles are able to access the interactive information via computer?

majorpat
04-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Have to agree, when the EMT's are trying to put you back together, they're not going to look in your seatbag and probably don't know jersey's have back pockets.
Best to go with the Road ID on the wrist.

SoCalSteve
04-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Since I started running, I wear one as I dont want anything on me to bounce around...hand held water bottle that has a place for cash and a key, road id, my ipod and my Forerunner 405 CX with hrm strap...travelin' light.

When I cycle, I always just carry my wallet...Just more convenient.

Steve

rounder
04-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Will the ID wrap around a seatpost. That might be a good place.

dekindy
04-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Will the ID wrap around a seatpost. That might be a good place.

No.

You are not trying to ID the bike. The bike may be a long way from you if there is an accident. It could be down an embankment and they might not even be able to find it in the brush. If you are in a group it would be impossible to match your bike to you. What are they going to do, look at what kind of cleats you have and match them to your shoes? That would be absurd of course. It is even very possible that you would be separated from your shoes in an accident. Now that I think about it, even a RoadID might get ripped from your arm or leg if you slide down the pavement. If it is on your person at least you would be certain of being identified if it were a medical emergency.

If you want to have the best chance to be identified, I think you are going to just have to bite the bullet and wear it on your person even though it might be a pain. How much inconvenience is your life worth?

Maybe a tattoo and hope you don't get road rash!

dekindy
04-28-2009, 09:19 PM
This thread has really got me thinking. I have been considering ordering one and this may be the time. Thanks for bringing it up!

KeithS
04-28-2009, 09:45 PM
I got mine after my wife er.. suggested I get it. We were going on spring break in FL, her point being - too much left to chance with wallet that says MN and me in a ditch in FL. I got the interactive version, the web site has all that is needed. I went on to the site, put in the temporary information - local address, local phone, wife's cell etc. Site is very comprehensive, and I change it when traveling. I take the bike to the lake several weekends in the summer and on other trips out of town, it's very easy to make the changes. Other benefit is room to list all my meds and dosing.

Fortunatly I haven't had to put it to the test, I think I will ask a friend who is a fireman if he's got any experience or has seen one in "action".

It puts my wife at ease, after 20 years of marriage, her at ease is a good thing and well worth the $20.

Charles M
04-28-2009, 10:03 PM
;)

ROAD ID: BUY THIS PRODUCT RIGHT NOW (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=2918)

Honestly...

Is there a better 10 or 20 bucks to spend?

WadePatton
04-28-2009, 10:27 PM
nothing against any product discussed here, but i don't understand how knowing your name and mailing address or any other bit of contact information is going to help EMT's and doctors put you back together.*

If you get better, you can tell them.

If you don't--what's the rush?

don't you have an "ICE" number or two in the phone anyway? which raises the same question again.

* (special medical condition info excepted)

Dekonick
04-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Have to agree, when the EMT's are trying to put you back together, they're not going to look in your seatbag and probably don't know jersey's have back pockets.
Best to go with the Road ID on the wrist.

Ummm

Yes - we do.

We look in your clothes, cut them off, look in your bag(s), glove box, back pack, inside your helmet, saddle bag, suitcase, medicine cabinet, refrigerator (no joke here) etc...

And we DO know jersey's have back pockets.

Perhaps not everywhere - but in Howard County, MD you are in pretty good hands.

We DO use medical alert tags / bracelets / etc...

Even if we dont use the interactive info - the hospital can. (again - in Howard County every ambulance has a laptop with GPS and internet...)

It is always a good idea to carry ID - but the most important information is medical history, allergies, and medications. Everything else can wait... at least until the hospital.

:beer:

Dekonick
04-28-2009, 10:42 PM
oh - don't bother with your blood type - it won't matter as every hospital will still have to draw blood, and type and cross it - no matter what your ID says...

:)

KeithS
04-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Go take a look at the web site and click on the demo for the interactive version. There are 8 sections of information that can be accessed by medical professionals and first responders. The information is stuff like Medical plan information, primary care physician, medications and dosing, emergency contact information, allergies etc.

I didn't even use up the 8000 characters that can be used to describe medical conditions.

Ken C
04-28-2009, 10:46 PM
You are missing the obvious:

If you have any medical condition or allergies you can put it on it.

I have my name, my drivers lic #, health ins #, my heart condition, and that I have no medical allergries.

If I can't speak I want whomever to be able to quickly give me service with as much information as possible without having to second guess anything.

I have a heart arythmia (WPW) and I sure want to the doctors to know that when I would not be able to tell them. In addition, many have allergies to things like penacillin, how are you going to tell them that when you are out cold?

Yes I do carry my drivers license with me on a ride, but having two forms of ID is much better than one. Plus when they are scraping you off the road they are not going to dig through your saddle bag to find your ID and I want them to have my wife # and my parents # as soon as possible. Personally I think it is the best $15 I have ever spent, YMMV.

Steve in SLO
04-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Another Dogtag wearer here. Mine has my name, home phone number, drivers license number, blood type and NKDA (no known drug allergies)

-dustin
04-28-2009, 11:11 PM
my strap disintegrated after about a month. Have yet to replace it.

Birddog
04-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Are you referring to the Road ID strap? If yes, I have to concur, it is pretty weak. Although mine has lasted over a year, it is in terrible shape and will disintegrate soon.

Birddog

paulrad9
04-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Are you referring to the Road ID strap? If yes, I have to concur, it is pretty weak. Although mine has lasted over a year, it is in terrible shape and will disintegrate soon.

Birddog

I bought mine with a couple of extra straps because I couldn't decide on color and wrist/ankle. I think they were less than $5/each

vqdriver
04-29-2009, 01:06 PM
just got a thank you email from roadid with a coupon for referrals. i've already ordered, but you can save a buck with it: it's good or 30 days, so pass it on

coupon code: ThanksElbert481045

go here for info: https://www.roadid.com/common/default.aspx

Cinci Jim
04-29-2009, 08:46 PM

I'd call them up and explain what happened to Mike or Edward at Roadid - I bet they will make good on it.

They are really good guys - locals to me - if I go for a ride at lunch I bike right past their office in Erlanger, KY

They are very active in local cycling - here is a ride they are involved with - http://www.westsidepokerride.com/westsidepokerride.html

LesMiner
04-30-2009, 07:09 AM
The local bike club here made a group buy of RoadIDs. It is a good idea. A friend of mine many years ago was run down on a country road while jogging. It was a hit and run, never found the driver. The ER did not know who he was for a couple of days. Meanwhile his family thought he was abducted or something.

Another identification that may seem strange. I have a tatoo on my left side indicating my blood type. It was put on when I was 6 years old. The tatoo was a program done by the elementry school I was attending. I have never heard of anyone else ever having such a tatoo outside the school I attended. I doubt any EMT would know to look for the tatoo.

TMB
04-30-2009, 07:56 AM
I actually ordered 3 RoadID's when I bought mine.

One for use "at home" in BC - with my wife's and daughter's phone numbers here.

One for use in AZ if I am there, with the family, and it has local phone numbers for AZ.

If I am away from home without the family then I always wear the one that has the local "at home" numbers.

I also bought one of the interactive ID's which I have worn a lot less, don't know why, and I filled out all the info there and paid for 5 years of the web service up front.

Makes me feel better to have it on.

flickwet
04-30-2009, 08:15 AM
I just feel better with it on, also, its my secret society of cyclists band,other cyclists admire it and those who don't ask me what it is and I'm pleased to tell them.