PDA

View Full Version : I hate wasps!

avalonracing
04-28-2009, 09:20 AM
It's been over 90ºF here for the last for days. Ahh, April in the mid-Atlantic... I'm predicting 140ºF for July.

Anyway, heat makes for an unzipped 1/2 zip jersey wide open to collect all the air I can get. Sadly it also took in a wasp on a nice decent without a shoulder and car traffic on my back wheel. By the time I stopped, the effer stung my midsection FIVE times! You know, I get stung maybe once a year but the combination of the heat, no fat over my ribcage and what is obviously a genetically mutated super-venom in the wasp made this thing hurt like hell.

Summer is here.

Nathanrtaylor
04-28-2009, 09:44 AM
In those conditions I usually have my mouth wide open as well.

Never had a wasp fly into my mouth, but I'd personally make them go extinct if I did.

konstantkarma
04-28-2009, 09:52 AM
The bugs are definitely out in earnest here in MD. They were bouncing off my glasses like crazy on Saturday. A strange tip that I learned from my uncle...when you get stung by a wasp apply saliva liberally. It seems to work pretty fast to draw out the toxins, and stop the stinging. Your results may vary :) .

TAW
04-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Got one caught in my helmet once and stung me before I could get it out.
Fun stuff.

konstantkarma
04-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Got one caught in my helmet once and stung me before I could get it out.
Fun stuff.

This is precisely why I always wear a full bandanna under the helmet.....oh, and to prevent sunburn on my shiny pate.

maddog17
04-28-2009, 10:40 AM
watch out for the black and white wasps!!! those bastards are just plain mean!!! they attack without any provocation and they HURT REAL BAD!!!

geoffm
04-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Wasps must die...

Kevan
04-28-2009, 11:28 AM
I can't help if it's my heritage.

Louis
04-28-2009, 11:32 AM
no fat over my ribcage

There's an easy, tasty solution to this problem - Pizzza and Beer :beer:

tab123
04-28-2009, 11:50 AM
A couple years ago one got under my sunglasses and stung me near my eye. I did not crash and was able to ride home. My face swelled up so much I looked like an alien. Not fun at all.

rwsaunders
04-28-2009, 03:35 PM
After at least a hundred stings over my lifetime (I caddied in junior and senior high), a paper wasp introduced me to my bee sting allergy several years ago....out cold in ten minutes, wakened by an IV from the paramedics. Two months later, the wasp's cousin reinforced the fact that I had to take the allergy seriously.

An Epipen goes everywhere with me now. It's hard to believe that a bee could render one unconscious via a lowering of the heartbeat. Live and learn.

ckamp
04-28-2009, 04:33 PM
I too have been a victim of several stings (three) wile wearing an unzipped jersey in a decent. I'm pretty sure the randomness of the entire event made me laugh afterward.

Dekonick
04-28-2009, 09:18 PM
After at least a hundred stings over my lifetime (I caddied in junior and senior high), a paper wasp introduced me to my bee sting allergy several years ago....out cold in ten minutes, wakened by an IV from the paramedics. Two months later, the wasp's cousin reinforced the fact that I had to take the allergy seriously.

An Epipen goes everywhere with me now. It's hard to believe that a bee could render one unconscious via a lowering of the heartbeat. Live and learn.

Don't forget benadryl - keep some with that epi-pen...

:)

rwsaunders
04-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Don't forget benadryl - keep some with that epi-pen...

:)

Roger that....I keep four tabs in the saddle bag.

Charles M
04-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Where's BumbleBee...

He probably got with the wasps too!