PDA

View Full Version : pondering replacement after crash

12-25-2004, 09:16 AM
Hello, earlier this year my brother was out riding when someone blew a yield sign and broadsided him. Luckily no head injuries, but the impact swelled his knee up pretty bad.several months later he's ready to jump on the rollers. before this he has to replace some parts though. From the hit his pedal is ruined,the large(outside) dura-ace chainring is bent,and many parts are scuffed up. we can't see any damage to the crank arms or bb, but we are wondering if these parts could be trusted being the pedal is really bad, and to bend a chain ring as hard as the dura ace off the 7701 model cranks(9 speed) leads to my concern. so my question is what would you recommend. replace the crank arms/bb. or ride em and see what happens.

Thanks much!

Dekonick
12-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Ummm....

I would get a new bike - at the car owner's expense. He is lucky to be alive.

if the old stuff is 'usable' I would only ride it on a stationary trainer or rollers. Why risk your life when you dont have to? It's dangerous enough on the road with a bike that you know wont fail... I would hate to be descending at 50 and have a failure...

vaxn8r
12-25-2004, 07:45 PM
I'd replace it. I agree it might be OK for the rollers or a trainer. At any rate I'd have someone check it out, who you trust knows what he's doing, if I were going to think about riding it.

Peter
12-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Throw some known good pedals on there and replace the chainring; you'll NEVER get it straight enough.

Then, after riding the bike you'll be able to determine whether the crankarm is still straight. BB axles are typically too stout and too short to be bent from a crash like that; the softer aluminum of the crankarm absorbs all the forces.

I speak from experience because I was broadsided last March. After getting the bike on the road again, I discovered a wobble on the left side. I replaced the left pedal with a spare and the wobble did NOT disappear. Ordered a new left crankarm and-problem solved.

A word of advice: you should check all parts of the bike CAREFULLY for cracks. Wash the bike and run your fingers along all the tubes to feel for subtle buckles and kinks. My broadside, while tweaking the crankarm, also buckled the seat tube at the bottom bracket subtly, but visibly.