PDA

View Full Version : Staying Dry (Rain Gear

nahtnoj
04-27-2009, 02:24 PM
I've got most of my cycling wardrobe under control. I have hats and gloves for all conditions. Base layers get mixed and matched based on temperature, wind, sunshine, ride length and elevation profile. Shoes and socks and booties to tailor my needs anywhere for 10 degrees to 100.

The area where I have a deficiency is in the rain gear department. I can usually time rides so this isn't an issue, or if commuting just deal with getting wet. But I am planning on doing a short credit card tour this summer/fall and need to be prepared for the worst.

Showers Pass looks like a good bet for a jacket, but I'm lost on rain pants. What sort of temperature range are these items appropriate for?

Thanks,

Jon

xjoex
04-27-2009, 02:29 PM
The showers pass Elite 2.0 jacket is the jam. I commute in a rainy wet climate and love it.

I like the hybrid zip-off pant that they make. They work in a large range of temps especially that they zip off to shorts.

I couldn't recommend anything else. And I have tried a lot.

-Joe

rwsaunders
04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Joe...it doesn't rain here in Pittsburgh.... :cool:

rpm
04-27-2009, 02:54 PM
A timely question, since I just rode in a 40 degree downpour yesterday. I have adequate bulky gear for my commute, but I'd like to find good, packable raingear that I could put in my jersey pocket or small seatbag. I was wondering about the Gore jackets that are made of Gore-Tex Pac-lite. Anybody have any experience with these?

Pete Serotta
04-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Showers Pass is very good stuff ( i have the elite 2.0 and the clear one.

Ed an Debbie are wonderful to deal with.

PETE

chuckred
04-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Perfect in a 40 degree downpour... at least next to being next to the fire with an Irish Coffee...

nahtnoj
04-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone - for those with the 2.0 - how is the windproofing? Showers Pass has a ranking on their website, but out of context it doesn't mean much.

Pete Serotta
04-27-2009, 03:40 PM
It works in the wind. Do not know if that answers your question.

Give them a call and talk to them - they are very helpful. (or send them an email)

PETE

csm
04-27-2009, 03:53 PM
the Shower Pass stuff looks very nice.

rpm
04-27-2009, 04:04 PM
How packable are the Showers Pass jackets? I have a Castelli windbreaker that stuffs into a cut-down water bottle, but it won't fend off a heavy rain. Ideally, I'd like to find a waterproof jacket that would pack into as small a size.

chuckred
04-27-2009, 04:38 PM
wind proof - Yes. Does have a back vent which helps pull out the warm air while you're moving. Flip side is I suppose it could let wind in the back, but only a problem if you're looking for a wearable shelter vs. something to use while you're riding.

Packable? It does fit in a jersey pocket, but it's a tight fit. If you want something as insurance for an afternoon thundershower, you probably want something lighter, thinner and more easily stuffed into a pocket. I only take the Shower's Pass when I know I'm in for some serious weather.

Sizing - they run a bit small - I'm 5'9 and 150 lbs and have a medium - it's certainly not loose by any means.

edzad24
04-27-2009, 04:55 PM
The Showers Pass "Double Century" is the model I wear. Super lightweight and super packable. Fits in a cut off water bottle or jersey pocket. I bought mine after researching and talking to the company. Has all the right features...pit zips, vents, reflective. I live in Seattle. Showers Pass is the only way to go.

edzad24
04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
The Showers Pass "Double Century" is the model I wear. Super lightweight and super packable. Fits in a cut off water bottle or jersey pocket. I bought mine after researching and talking to the company. Has all the right features...pit zips, vents, reflective. I live in Seattle. Showers Pass is the only way to roll :beer: .

rpm
04-27-2009, 05:04 PM
The Showers Pass "Double Century" is the model I wear. Super lightweight and super packable. Fits in a cut off water bottle or jersey pocket. I bought mine after researching and talking to the company. Has all the right features...pit zips, vents, reflective. I live in Seattle. Showers Pass is the only way to roll :beer: .

Thanks. That one sounds like the deal. How does the sizing run?