PDA

View Full Version : iBike Gen III

dekindy
04-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Anybody used this yet? I am keenly interested in this unit and it now seems to be a mature, well developed alternative to more expensive power meters. I have done a search and there was interest in these a couple of years ago but not a lot of commentary recently. Updates?

SoCalSteve
04-27-2009, 01:06 PM
I was at a party on Saturday night (bunch of cycling people) and ran into a gentleman who works for a pretty high end - well respected bike store here in Los Angeles. He couldn't stop ranting and raving at how great the Ibike is. Went on and on about how close it was in accuracy to the much pricier brands, all the stats it pours out,etc, etc, etc...

FWIW.

Just sayin'

Steve

paczki
04-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Anyone else have any experience? I'm thinking about trying one as well.

1centaur
04-29-2009, 12:06 PM
You are always going to get to the same place in iBike discussions: surprisingly accurate for an estimator, rather than a measurer, but if being within 5 watts of accurate at all times is vital to your training plan (or bragging rights) then the iBike will frustrate you.

I tried iBike 1 (thought it was fine) and I have a Power Tap for the rollers and Computrainer measures power accurately so I have a sense of what's watt :)

I took iBike off because I am not serious about power training - I just wanted to see what I was putting out under various conditions, not be a slave to the readings. I found that the iBike measurements are very much what I would have guessed after years of riding the Computrainer, so I don't really need the meter to see that - I can feel it in my legs.

To the extent position changes or a bumpy road surface throws off the accuracy some and temporarily, you might be annoyed, but if just seeing what power is all about, testing position changes, doing elementary training with power (at the least) or are willing to live with minor disparities because the iBike puts you WAY in the ballpark of all that training with power can give you, and you don't feel like the $s for an SRM or you like the idea of moving it from bike to bike, the iBike makes lots of sense.

cdimattio
04-29-2009, 01:06 PM
You are always going to get to the same place in iBike discussions: surprisingly accurate for an estimator, rather than a measurer, but if being within 5 watts of accurate at all times is vital to your training plan (or bragging rights) then the iBike will frustrate you.

1centaur pretty much nails it.

While it might be an esimator, the description discounts the sophistication of the little unit. A Powertap or an SRM is a glorified strain gauge. The iBike measures an insame amount of real time variables to calculate or estimate power. It might be termed more of an calculated indirect measurement than a direct measurement.

Last spring I watched a test where a single bike was outfitted with a Powertap, an SRM and an iBike. If you performed a detailed review of the data over the course of a 50 mile ride they were essentially the same. Although it was a single day test, the results were not staged and were quite convincing.

I think there are still some instantaneous measurement quirks to the iBike, but nothing meaningful that would severely impact a training program. As I recall the calibration effort is also a bit of a pain. I am not overly fond of the aestetics of the unit, but am impressed by the ambition of the approach.

The iBike becomes pretty interesting as a head unit for a powermeter with Ant+ data transmission. A traditional powermeter coupled with the iBike creates the poor man's wind tunnel. The capabilities might only be limited by the software. It certainly provides the capability to test various aero positions and such in a real time environment.

dekindy
03-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Any current experience? I am considering the Ibike Sport and then upgrade later. I have an old heart rate monitor that I can use to see real time pulse.

false_Aest
03-25-2011, 03:22 PM
i run one every day.

yes, its not as accurate as a power tap or a srm or a quark

BUT the results are repeatable and I think that's more important.

e.g. if I'm consistantly showing 20 watts over/under and i make a 20 watt improvement . . . i still made a 20 watt improvement.

I dig the ibike because you can swap wheels or wahtever w/out sweating it unlike the power tap. I dig it because its also the lightest PM out there at the moment.

I dislike how it can be fussy some days. I also dislike that it goes through batteries quite fast.

for mortals, the ibike is fine.

it tells you to ride harder when youre trying to ride hard and to go easier on your off days. that's the single best benefit of any PM.

firerescuefin
03-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Just installed an SRM wireless yesterday.

I came across this a couple weeks ago. I thought it was well thought out/written and should help you with some of your questions.

http://biketechreview.com/reviews/power-meters/61-power-meter-review

jeo99
03-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Just installed an SRM wireless yesterday.

I came across this a couple weeks ago. I thought it was well thought out/written and should help you with some of your questions.

http://biketechreview.com/reviews/power-meters/61-power-meter-review

Thanks, very interesting article. After reading, I think I trust my heart rate monitor. It is a simple and accurate science.

:beer: