PDA

View Full Version : Quick noob campy drivetrain question....

Nautilus
04-27-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm getting ready to purchase my first proper road bike (looking at a Serotta Colorado), but I have a quick question first. If the bike is set up with a campy cassette hub and down tube shifters will it also be compatible with ergo levers? I know that 8 speed ergo levers aren't compatable with 9/10/11 speed hubs and visa versa, but is there anything that could keep an 8 speed hub/derailleur from working with 8 speed ergo levers?
I've heard people talk about indexed derailleurs, is it possible that this bike doesn't have an indexed derailleur should such a thing exist?
Thanks

John M
04-27-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm getting ready to purchase my first proper road bike (looking at a Serotta Colorado), but I have a quick question first.

Thanks

1. If the bike is set up with a campy cassette hub and down tube shifters will it also be compatible with ergo levers?

Yes. Down tube stops can be mounted on the shifter bosses to accommodate Ergo cables.

2. I know that 8 speed ergo levers aren't compatable with 9/10/11 speed hubs and visa versa, but is there anything that could keep an 8 speed hub/derailleur from working with 8 speed ergo levers?

The derailleur needs to be compatible with the cable pull ratio for the indexed ergo lever. Pre-2001 Campy rear derailleurs will work properly with the 8s ergo levers. After 2001, Campagnolo changed the actuation ratio (how far the RD moves with each mm of cable pulled) and newer RDs will not work perfectly with 8s ergo levers. That said, the difference is pretty small and it may work fine for you.

3. I've heard people talk about indexed derailleurs, is it possible that this bike doesn't have an indexed derailleur should such a thing exist?
The indexing is in the lever, not the derailleur. That said, see answer for #2 above about compatibility between shifter and RD.

Hope that answers the question.

Nautilus
04-27-2009, 11:58 AM
That's the answer I was hoping for, thanks!