PDA

View Full Version : Saw my first race yesterday

SamIAm
04-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Even though I have been passionate about cycling for a number of years, I had never attended a race. Well I had the day to myself on Sunday and it just so happens there was a race going on. I think it was just called the Roswell Crit, in the town of Roswell, Ga. So I hopped on my bike and rode over to watch some of the racing. It was really a good experience, not too crowded beautiful 80 degree spring weather, plenty of good beer available etc. I couldn't get over the wind generated every time the group passed and they passed by quite a bit on the short course. I watched the Men's 4/5's, Masters, Men's 2/3's and Women's Pro. I couldn't really see much difference in speed between the groups, with the exception of the Women's pro, they seemed noticeably slower, but I could be wrong.

Strange thing happened in the masters race. The lap counter was at 2, but the announcer is yelling, 1 to go - 1 to go -1 to go as the riders pass by. He realizes his mistake, but the riders are already by. He goes on to say that I hope those guys are looking at the lap counter and not listening to me. But as they come around the turn, its clear that they had listened to the announcer. They sprint down the finish and the back of the pack sits up. There is obviously some confusion as some riders continue riding others start cooling down. Eventually they round up all the riders and declare that there will be a restart and 3 lap race. Much moaning and groaning and chants of "Don't line up!" arise from the group. Some just ride off in the other direction, some continue whining and they start the race. A couple riders seize the opportunity and ride quickly off the front and hold that advantage for the ensuing 3 laps. Its too bad it ended like this as this was by far the most entertaining race of the day.

Anyway, good way to spend a nice spring day.