PDA

View Full Version : campy 11 red?

vqdriver
04-26-2009, 11:35 AM
considering the 'old' campy shifters were not crisp enough for pros and campy made record red shifters, have they/are they going make 'harder' shifting levers in the new design?

Dave
04-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I suspect you'll have to wait and see. The 11 speed models have a more noticeable click than 10 speed, but the difference is not the result of a stiffer spring, it's in the shape of the index disc detents.

I'm not sure that the shifts were not crisp enough for pros. The shifters were in production for about 15 years before the stiffer red spring was offered. Seemed like an odd gimmick to produce, right before the start of an entirely new design.

vqdriver
04-26-2009, 12:27 PM
oh, i have it backwards then. i thought the newer shifters were more muted, a la shimano.

Dave
04-26-2009, 03:53 PM
No you've got it right. I meant 2009 10 speed, which is the Centaur/Veloce ultrashift. These shifters have such a light click, from the right finger lever, that it's hardly noticeable.

The new 11 speed ultrashift has a more distinct click, from the right finger lever, but both are much lighter than any earlier model shifter. The left finger lever and both thumb buttons are not that much different from previous years - just the right finger lever.

Simon Q
04-26-2009, 10:16 PM
No you've got it right. I meant 2009 10 speed, which is the Centaur/Veloce ultrashift. These shifters have such a light click, from the right finger lever, that it's hardly noticeable.

The new 11 speed ultrashift has a more distinct click, from the right finger lever, but both are much lighter than any earlier model shifter. The left finger lever and both thumb buttons are not that much different from previous years - just the right finger lever.

I have Centaur levers (carbon with decals removed on 10 sp Record and alloy with 10 sp Centaur) on both my bikes. Yep, it's very light, takes some getting used to but I am there now. Would prefer more definite click but it is worth it to have the outstanding ergonomics of the new levers without paying for a new gruppo. It will tide me over until Campy brings out electric ;)