PDA

View Full Version : OT: Horse Crap

rugbysecondrow
04-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Question: I know as a responsible dog owner and steward of park trails, I am supposed to tend to my dogs mess (poo). Is this not the same for horses riders? I went mountain biking yesterday and spent a good bit of the afternoon either dodging the big piles of crap or just closing my mouth and riding through them. I am not certain if there is an actual policy about horse poo, but shouldn't there be a common courtesy that is extended? Don't they make bags the sit under their arses? Is there some reason that horse poo is thought of as an acceptable type of poo to be left on trails, espcially given how large and frequently the poo occurs? In Maryland, many of the trails I ride area also horse trails, especially the XC ones ( I am not a thrasher or downhill guy, just like to ride and have fun), so it would be hard to find trails where bikers are allowed but not horses.

Any thoughts?

fungusamungus33
04-26-2009, 07:41 AM
It can't be that bad for you....

I have horses and dogs to clean up after. Dog poo is nasty (only cat poo is worse) but horse poo is less nasty. Pitch forks are good. They keep all the nastiness further away from your nose.

The "bags" horses behind them to catch their droppings require a cart or wagon of some sort to be attached as well. I don't know how they could work for regular trail riding.

I'd rather not ride through it (poo) but I'd rather be able to share a trail than fight over who has "rights."

I'm probably bias, my wife has cleaned stalls in every pair of shoes she owns. I can't get away from the stuff so I've come to accept it as "normal."

CCB[

dekindy
04-26-2009, 08:37 AM
You are riding your bike on horse trails and complaining about horse poo. What is wrong with this picture? :rolleyes:

goonster
04-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Horses get to do it because they were here first.

rugbysecondrow
04-26-2009, 09:59 AM
You are riding your bike on horse trails and complaining about horse poo. What is wrong with this picture? :rolleyes:

They are actually state park trails that are used for hiking, horses, bicycle and other misc use. They are not "Horse Trails". Here in Maryland, unlike in Illinois where I am from or Indiana where I have MTB'd, the MTB trails are often dual use with horseback riding, so it is unavoidable. I understand and I agree with the shared nature of trails, I am just trying to figure out to what degree the feces of other peoples pets should become part of my recreation? If there is a level of common courtesy that is expected or if it is acceptable for horse poo to be deposited anywhere.

I guess I am complaining more than anything, I just don't like to wash somebody or something elses poo of off me.

csm
04-26-2009, 10:12 AM
isn't horse poo mostly straw and grass?

Chad Engle
04-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Double standards abound.

My dog must be leashed or within a fence but the neighbors cat can sit in my yard/porch and drive my dogs nuts. So I run them off with the hose. In addition to them driving my dogs nuts they crap in my yard/kids sandbox/etc.

A good neighbor cleans up after their pets and kids. A good steward of the trail should clean their horse poo up as well.

It's not a matter of whether or not it is natural it's common courtesy.

false_Aest
04-26-2009, 10:57 AM
You should probably just poo in front of a horse once or twice and see what happens....

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Lifelover
04-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I fully understand cleaning up after your animals if they poo in someone's yard. However, having to clean up poo in the woods is fn Crazy.

Who cleans up after the raccoons, squirrels and all of gods other creatures.

Ahneida Ride
04-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Who cleans up after Politicians ? :D

Chad Engle
04-26-2009, 02:15 PM
If the horse *****$ on the single track they should clean it up. To me that's not "in the woods" it's "in the way".

dogdriver
04-26-2009, 04:04 PM
The sense of entitlement of the equine community has always annoyed me.

In my town, we have a trails foundation that builds and maintains most of the local singletrack. It's funded by a combination of tax grants (a portion of a restaurant and hotel "tourist" tax), private donations, and individual memberships, ranging from $30-$250/year (the more you give, the bigger your swag pile).

The trails are fantastic, the maintenance epic. In addition to hikers and bikes, LOTS of horses ride the trails. We all give right of way to them (I'm not getting in a tussle with a 1500# neurotic hunk of flesh with a brain the size of a walnut, or the horse, for that matter) and I am not aware of ONE horse person who contributes to Mountain Trails, nor have I seen ONE OF THEM ever show up at any of the volunteer trail maintenance days.

Say nothing of the early season postholes (horses sinking in too-soft surface) or the poop. I guess that the equine world feels that horse dung splattered up the nose or in our eyes is a privilege.

I had to ride a spinning bike at the gym today, guess I had to complain about something... Chris

palincss
04-26-2009, 05:28 PM
T
I guess that the equine world feels that horse dung splattered up the nose or in our eyes is a privilege.

http://serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54613&highlight=fenders

bzbvh5
04-27-2009, 04:52 PM
isn't horse poo mostly straw and grass?

Isn't dog poo mostly squirrel or rabbit which eat mostly nuts and grass.

palincss
04-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Dog poo is mostly Alpo or Purina, which makes it mostly horse or corn, atmo.

scrooge
04-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Isn't horse doo also a problem because it introduces foreign/invader species? That's what I recall a friend in the parks department telling me...he also told me horses will be there long beyond MTBers because they have a huge lobby with lots of money to throw around.

moodster
04-27-2009, 06:25 PM
I always thought they could at least take the horse of the trail into the grass nearby and let them do their thing there instead of on the actual trail??!

tylercheung
04-27-2009, 06:26 PM
the obvious answer is to exterminate real horses in favor of robotic ones.

rugbysecondrow
04-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Isn't horse doo also a problem because it introduces foreign/invader species? That's what I recall a friend in the parks department telling me...he also told me horses will be there long beyond MTBers because they have a huge lobby with lots of money to throw around.

Agreed. When hiking, or biking for that matter, it is a general rule that you take out everything you bring in (or bury your poo if that is what you are doing). Act like you weren't there...called being a good steward.

Just an unequal relationship and different standards, but such is life. I just hate getting other animals poo on me and I am not certain fenders on my MTB are the answer, although I might have to think about it if it gets worse.

Cheers

Dekonick
04-27-2009, 07:39 PM
The trails in Paptasco are ***** covered...

They are also the only game in town.

Sucks.

Steve in SLO
04-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Try drafting behind a horse trailer when one of them decides to evacuate their bladder. The waterfall and ensuing atomized stink is impressive.

palincss
04-27-2009, 09:10 PM
And if you're cycling in Amish country and find yourself behind a buggy, make sure you do not center yourself between the wheels. It's the most natural place to be, but if you're there you are directly in line with the horse. They drop loose and juicy turns with no notice, and they're mighty slippery.

chuckroast
04-27-2009, 09:21 PM
If a horse poops in the woods but no one's around does it really smell?

Ahneida Ride
04-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Try drafting behind a horse trailer when one of them decides to evacuate their bladder. The waterfall and ensuing atomized stink is impressive.

Wow !!!!!

Now I am wondering ... who cleans up after a cyclist relieves him/her
self in the woods ? :beer: :p ;) :banana: