PDA

View Full Version : Chris class rear hub--changing spacing with axle ends?

rsl
04-25-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm considering bidding on a Chris King class rear hub that is 135 mm spacing. The offeror says you can change the spacing to 130 mm by changing the axle ends, but I've never heard of such a thing. Sure enough, I did find axel ends for sale, but I wanted to see if this a legitimate procedure or a work-around. Anyone know about this?

Thanks!

cody.wms
04-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Its true. The ends of the hubs are interchangeable, and the actual axle is the same. One vendor is here. (http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PHB504-505-506&Category_Code=CKAXLES) Any shop that has a "Chris King approved" QBP account should be able to get them also.

rsl
04-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Its true. The ends of the hubs are interchangeable, and the actual axle is the same. One vendor is here. (http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PHB504-505-506&Category_Code=CKAXLES) Any shop that has a "Chris King approved" QBP account should be able to get them also.

Wow, interesting--thanks.

I guess the second question to ask is if I converted the mountain hub to 130mm and had it built into a road rear wheel, how would it differ from a wheel built using the road rear hub? I looked at the specs on the King website and there are some dimensional differences in the two hubs, but knowing nothing about wheelbuilding, I don't know if this makes much of a difference.

Thanks!

Gothard
04-26-2009, 01:34 AM
Once you change the end cap to get the correct spacing, there is no diference left. Same part, same measures.

rsl
04-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Once you change the end cap to get the correct spacing, there is no diference left. Same part, same measures.

okay, thanks for the help!

dogdriver
04-26-2009, 10:39 AM
+1 Gothard.

Additionally, call CK directly-- you'll talk to an actual human and they'll tell you exactly what you need. Best customer service ever.