PDA

View Full Version : bent dropout question

Rebel_Biker
04-25-2009, 02:40 PM
I bent my dropout on a Pinarello Bassano. Do you think this can be fixed by cold pressing? Thanks in advance for any advice.

thwart
04-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Nice to be working with steel. :p

If you can bend a tweaked derailleur hanger back into place I can't imagine this wouldn't respond to the same technique.

I would use an adjustable wrench (with some appropriate protection for that pretty chrome) and gently go at it.

But, I'm sure some others here have already actually done such work on track bikes...

LIGHTHOUSE
04-26-2009, 02:48 PM
You should be able to bend it back. If the job needs a hammer a rawhide mallet used in the jewelry trade will let you whack it with out leaving a mark. They are more controllable with a better impact than a rubber mallet.

Pete Serotta
04-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Tim, was on the bike camp trip this March to Ca. (he lives there.) I have known him for a few years. Additionally he has been building bikes for a long time, has worked for specialized also , and lastly is a great cook!!!!!

He is now in business once again building frames full time ...He has a wonderful red Lighthouse at the bike camp that I almost took for an extended ride :) :)

=LIGHTHOUSE]You should be able to bend it back. If the job needs a hammer a rawhide mallet used in the jewelry trade will let you whack it with out leaving a mark. They are more controllable with a better impact than a rubber mallet.[/QUOTE]

Rebel_Biker
04-26-2009, 07:07 PM
thanks guys

I will use the advise an bend it back.

David Kirk
04-26-2009, 08:06 PM
thanks guys

I will use the advise an bend it back.

One thing to think about is why this happened in the first place. It can happen when the built in floating washer on the track axle nut freezes to the nut itself. This means that when you spin the nut it also spins the washer which then grinds against the dropout which in turn can spread the slot.

Make sure that the washer does not spin when you tighten the nut. A bit of lube (chain lube works well) placed between the washer and the nut can work wonders.

Good luck.

dave

Rebel_Biker
04-26-2009, 09:53 PM
thanks for the advice Dave

I think that is exactly what occured