PDA

View Full Version : cycling in Italy

gabbard
12-24-2004, 10:53 AM
I am planning a trip there in June-July timeframe. I have been there before on a self-supported bike tour, and first-hand experience tells me that you almost can not go wrong anywhere you go in that beautiful country. However, this time, I am going with extended family who are not cyclists, and we will be staying in one or two locations over a 2 week period.

So, I am looking for recommendations for cities/towns in the Tuscany/Umbria area that offer a convergence of several things - great cycling, interesting location in a smallish to medium sized town for non-cyclists, and reasonable lodging.

If any of you have experience with staying in towns in Italy for a cycling vacation, I'd love to hear it. I am also going to see where the various high-end tours (such as Andy Hampsten's) go and explore those areas, but I wanted to see what this experienced group had to say.

Ciao!

Steve

93legendti
12-24-2004, 10:56 AM
I have done Tuscany and Umbria trips with Breaking Away. Assisi, Volterra, Moltacino (spell?), Todi, San Gimgano (spell?) are all great places to cycle to and around. Check their web site for moe city names around those areas.

rePhil
12-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Bill at Torelli has great detailed stories on his web site.

Tom
12-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Montalcino, Pienza... ah, the Brunello.

We went with a supported tour through cicloposse (Google them) and it was great. A defined itinerary, Karen and me by ourselves on the road. Very nice.

93legendti
12-24-2004, 01:03 PM
Pienza, yup, another good town.

flydhest
12-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Montalcino and San Gimigiano.

Good towns. Volterra, yummy. When I was there we were based in Castagneto di Carducci. I was with Davis Phinney and Connie Carpenter's bike camp. That was a great place to ride from--the coast is not far, lots of inland riding, hills, flats, towns. Close to Bolgheri where tons of good wine comes from--we rode by Ornellaia several times.

One thing to think about that may not have occured to you. We spent a couple days on the island of Elba. It is an easy ferry ride from Piombino and is breathtakingly gorgeous. It is hillier than you would likely expect but beautiful with little towns on the waterfront, places to stop for coffee, and most importantly, Monte Perrone, the hardest climb I have ever done. 14% and 10K. Ouch. I was barely turning over my 39-25 at some points.

I would heartily suggest you check out Elba--lots for non-cyclists and a revelation for cyclists.