PDA

View Full Version : Jet Lag

93legendti
04-24-2009, 03:17 PM
After returning from overseas, which is worse, day 2 or day 3? Yesterday I would have said day 2. Now I know it is day 3.

Smiley
04-24-2009, 03:21 PM
I find going over to the middle east more tiring then returning home. Then again most flights leave Egypt at 5-7 AM and you need to be at the airport to clear security 3 hours in advance, this makes for no sleep the day of departure.

93legendti
04-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Ah, our flight left for Israel at 11:00 p.m. and our return flight left at 11:30 p.m. We actually slept on the plane and the first night in Israel every one slept till 6:00 a.m. or later. So going there was easy.

Yesterday I rode and I actually found my mind wandering. I had to remind myself to pay attention - not good. Today I didn't even feel like riding...and it is 82 degrees outside.

weatherman
04-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Ah, our flight left for Israel at 11:00 p.m. and our return flight left at 11:30 p.m. We actually slept on the plane and the first night in Israel every one slept till 6:00 a.m. or later. So going there was easy.

Yesterday I rode and I actually found my mind wandering. I had to remind myself to pay attention - not good. Today I didn't even feel like riding...and it is 82 degrees outside.

My strategy has always been to hydrate beyond belief. When I board my plane (or shortly before) I reset my watch to the destination time and start thinking in that mindset--eating meals at the right time, sleeping when appropriate (or trying anyway) etc. Has typically worked with no major jet lag issues for me. Just completed an 11 day trip from Kansas City to Tokyo for 5 days, followed by a continuation West to Germany (Hannover) for 6 days, then back home.

I nearly drank business/first class out of water on all my flights. It worked though. No major issues, and back on the bike first day back for 30 miles (singlespeed no less!)

Your mileage may vary.

bronk
04-24-2009, 04:01 PM
After returning from overseas, which is worse, day 2 or day 3? Yesterday I would have said day 2. Now I know it is day 3.
In my experience, it depends on how long you were there. if you were there long enough to adjust your body clock, both day 2 and day 3 will hurt. If you were there only a short time, day 2 will hurt more than 3.

93legendti
04-24-2009, 04:25 PM
In my experience, it depends on how long you were there. if you were there long enough to adjust your body clock, both day 2 and day 3 will hurt. If you were there only a short time, day 2 will hurt more than 3.

We were gone 12 days...long enough to hurt.

My strategy has always been to hydrate beyond belief. When I board my plane (or shortly before) I reset my watch to the destination time and start thinking in that mindset--eating meals at the right time, sleeping when appropriate (or trying anyway) etc. Has typically worked with no major jet lag issues for me. Just completed an 11 day trip from Kansas City to Tokyo for 5 days, followed by a continuation West to Germany (Hannover) for 6 days, then back home.

I nearly drank business/first class out of water on all my flights. It worked though. No major issues, and back on the bike first day back for 30 miles (singlespeed no less!)

Your mileage may vary.
I made a mental note to hydrate. We were in business class, so the water bottles seemed to come often, but I probably didn't drink enough.

Karin Kirk
04-24-2009, 04:56 PM
For me, each day is easier than the previous one. I don't normally drink coffee except first thing in the morning, but when I'm adjusting to a new time zone I make liberal use of caffeine to keep me awake and active during the times of day when I should be. This way I avoid napping, which is such a deal-breaker.

Plus, the coffee is superb in the places I love to visit!

Another thing that helps is being out in daylight. If it's 82 degrees then you can enjoy some lovely time outside, even if not riding.

I also find that if the trip was really exceptional, then coming home can be somewhat deflating, which makes it harder to get back into your home time zone. Same is true if you are on a trip that you don't really want to be on.

Those are my experiences anyway. Good luck getting re-adjusted!

93legendti
04-24-2009, 06:22 PM
For me, each day is easier than the previous one. I don't normally drink coffee except first thing in the morning, but when I'm adjusting to a new time zone I make liberal use of caffeine to keep me awake and active during the times of day when I should be. This way I avoid napping, which is such a deal-breaker.

Plus, the coffee is superb in the places I love to visit!

Another thing that helps is being out in daylight. If it's 82 degrees then you can enjoy some lovely time outside, even if not riding.

I also find that if the trip was really exceptional, then coming home can be somewhat deflating, which makes it harder to get back into your home time zone. Same is true if you are on a trip that you don't really want to be on.

Those are my experiences anyway. Good luck getting re-adjusted!
Good tips. Thanks.
I willed myself to do an e-RICHIE 70 minute ride and I feel a little better.