PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Atlanta vs CSI?

mistermo
04-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm not super knowledgable about Serotta steel frames. I think I've seen that the CSI is/was the pinnacle of Serotta's lugged, steel frames. True? If so, where does the Atlanta fit into the mix? What's the difference? And if you can, please tell me more about the Atlanta model. Thanks.

Sandy
04-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Both the CSI and the Atlanta were lugged steel frames, but with different tubing. I test rode both in 1998 (and two Serotta Ti frames- CTI and Legend). The Atlanta (with a steel fork) was the first Serotta I rode. I remember the test ride as if it happened today. I found the Atlanta to be very efficient in transferring pedal input into forward motion. Noticed that in the first few pedal strokes (compared to other bikes I was test riding). I was very impressed that I did not have to "stay on top of the bike"- Didn't seem to need a lot of corrections- Communicated that it would do what you asked it to do and not surprise you while it was doing it. I thought at the time that the Atlanta was far and away the best "value" in the Serotta road line. I bought the CSI as I thought that it was a bit more responsive and maybe was a little more compliant.

Sandy

Jeff N.
04-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I've got an Atlanta I stole off Ebay being "JB'd" as I write this. Pics to follow after it's done. Jeff N.

Ken Robb
04-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Serotta catalog from about 10 years ago said Atlanta was 85% of a CSi for 60% of the price. They used similar tubing but there were more choices of tubes available to the CSi design than the Atlanta and CSi lugs were a bit fancier. The CSi was labled C4 tubing and the Atlanta C3. I think this meant that one of the 4 main tubes on the Atlanta was not Colorado Concept. I think I also read that the difference between the two was less in larger sizes because they couldn't use some of the lighter tubing options unique to the CSi anyway. Both models in larger sizes needed heavier tubes. Of course if a buyer wanted to spec an very light big CSi Serotta might have consented to using lighter tubes than they would have chosen for a stock bike.

I loved my CSi even though it was smaller than I prefer. Since I would ride a 60-61cm Atlanta I doubt that I could discern a difference between these models. Ditto for big Jeff Nix, I think.

victoryfactory
04-24-2009, 12:54 PM
I had my Atlanta built in 2000. I still ride it a lot. The top tube is straight,
not swaged like the CSI, lugs a little less fancy as stated above.
I actually like the seat lug on Atlanta more.
Weight difference is extremely hard to pin down because it's hard to find an
example of each that is exactly the same geometry for comparison (they are
custom bikes, after all)
The price in 2000 was $1800 for frame and F1 fork with fade paint job
very subtle blue over blue (hard to see in photo).

VF

Ozz
04-24-2009, 01:30 PM
I think Dave Kirk wrote a pretty thorough piece about the Atlanta...but I can't find it....as a matter of fact, I can't even find Dave's profile.....has he been expelled as well? ***??

David Kirk
04-24-2009, 01:36 PM
I think Dave Kirk wrote a pretty thorough piece about the Atlanta...but I can't find it....as a matter of fact, I can't even find Dave's profile.....has he been expelled as well? ***??

Rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated.

dave

Ozz
04-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated.

dave
whew!

"Dave"...."David".....details! :p

BTW: Here's the post:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=625062&postcount=9

The post is more about production costs, but still good info on what a nice bike the Atlanta is.

victoryfactory
04-24-2009, 02:15 PM
After reading David Kirk's Atlanta post I realize that I was one of those
customers who got a "CSI for Atlanta money"

I remember asking for custom geometry, head tube extension, custom
paint, eyelets on the rear lugs, pump peg and chain hanger.

Yikes! how embarrassing

VF

David Kirk
04-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Yikes! how embarrassing

VF

No need for you to feel embarrassed. We are the ones with egg on our faces.

Dave

victoryfactory
04-24-2009, 02:30 PM

Pete Serotta
04-24-2009, 02:34 PM
As David has said....

Except for the lugs and especially the seat lug, it can get confusing. The CSI was and is a wonderful bike. I just road mine today - sun and 80 and it was heaven!!!! :)

David or Kelly can build you the modern iteration of the CSI DNA - hopefully I can talk BEN into building a special run "the 10" :D :D Dave Powers, Steve Fairchild, and I are working on him!!!

zap
04-24-2009, 03:02 PM
snipped

Both the CSI and the Atlanta were lugged steel frames, but with different tubing. I test rode both in 1998 (and two Serotta Ti frames- CTI and Legend). The Atlanta (with a steel fork) was the first Serotta I rode. I remember the test ride as if it happened today.
Sandy

I have the sneaky feeling we test rode the same bikes. I had one or both in my house for a few days.

I remember that the Atlanta weighed a ton and both had a ride not to my liking, with my wheels. I haven't ridden a steel single since.