PDA

View Full Version : Mountain vs. Road pedals

SamIAm
04-24-2009, 10:40 AM
I have Shimano SPD mountain pedals on all my road bikes. I like em fine, but was wondering how much faster (or less slow) I would be if I switched to road pedals. :) I am kidding, but I am interested in what the perceived benefit of a road over a mountain pedal might be.

Thanks

MattTuck
04-24-2009, 10:43 AM
I just made the switch from SPD to Speedplay Zero.

First ride is in about 1 hour 15 minutes, I'll let you know afterward.

mschol17
04-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Rob, there's a huge difference between road and mtn pedals that you have to try to believe. My spd-sl pedals offer much more support than my spds.

I don't know if they'll make you faster, but they do offer a lot more stability when standing on them.

SamIAm
04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Rob, there's a huge difference between road and mtn pedals that you have to try to believe. My spd-sl pedals offer much more support than my spds.

I don't know if they'll make you faster, but they do offer a lot more stability when standing on them.

Good feedback and I do know that they will NOT make me faster, but I am open to trying new things once in a great while.

Ray
04-24-2009, 10:55 AM
I rode on mtb pedals for years before trying road pedals. Then I used Looks for several years because when I started using them, there was a pretty noticeable difference in support/stability when out of the saddle. (NOTE - I was coming from Speedplay too, so the change in float characteristics was part of the difference). But I got really sick of not being able to walk and/or to always carrying cleat covers, etc, etc, etc. So I started using mtb SPDs and didn't mind them much. Then I got a really stiff carbon soled shoe and didn't mind it at all. I went back and forth a couple of times just to check it out and, yeah, there's a slight difference in lateral stability (you'll rock a little on the pedal with a smaller contact area), but its not enough to matter anymore. To me at least. If it was still a slight problem, you can also get one-sided SPD pedals with a small platform that gives you that extra bit of stability. Like:

http://www.rei.com/product/724917

or

http://www.rei.com/product/764688

Bottom line - I don't think the very slight increase in stability is worth the tradeoff in convenience for most of us recreational cyclists. There's a difference, but its much smaller than it used to be.

Try it for yourself - you might find the difference bigger. But there are an awful lot of advantages to mtb pedals that you'd have to give up.

-Ray

rnhood
04-24-2009, 10:58 AM
I think, in general road pedals have a lower stack height and, more support via wider platform as mentioned above. Of course this is not always the case. I ride with several local groups and see all kinds of pedals, road and mountain. Road pedals do dominate though.

fixednwinter
04-24-2009, 11:36 AM
I agree with that today's stiffer soles are making the difference less regarding the support. And some of the MTB pedal platforms are providing more support.

For years, I rode with Crank Bros. Eggbeaters (no platform at all) for my cross bike, and Speedplay Zero's for all of my road bikes. The Zero's have a huge cleat and provides decent support.

A year ago, I wanted to really simplify everything, and decided to try the other Crank Bros. pedals with platform support - the Candy and the Quattro (road). While the Eggbeater's are the perfect cross pedal as I've yet to clog them up, even in heavy mud, you can really feel their lack of support in a long road ride.

I first tried the Candy on my winter road bikes - the platform really helped a lot, almost felt like a road pedal. I then finally removed my Zero's from my primary racing bike and installed the Quattro. Even nicer than the Candy, although only marginally.

I can use my road shoes on all my bikes now, from fixie to cross to the various road bikes. My mountain shoes will fit all my pedals without modification except the Quattro. With those, I have to shave off a bit of the inner tread.

Although I still like the feel and float of the Zero's, I don't want to give up the versatility of the Crank Bros. and the ability to use MTB shoes when I just want to walk around. I don't know if the Quattro design is something that Crank Bros. will be continuing with, so it's probably down to Eggbeater's for serious off-road stuff, Candy for road work. And Candy + a road shoe gives lots of support, feels like a true road set-up.

MarleyMon
04-24-2009, 11:38 AM
I ride the Shimano 520 that Ray linked.
I like them much better than 2-sided mtb pedals for commuting and general riding. The advantage of walkable shoes is key for me, and these have a good platform. I like the single sided design and can ride them w/o cleated shoes for short distances as well.

rugbysecondrow
04-24-2009, 11:39 AM
This is an interesting thread because I having been contemplating an all SPD setup on my bikes. Right now I have Look KEO on my road, and SPD on my MTB/Fix/ bikes. I find the look pedals to be clunky and more cumbersome than the SPD. Plus, i recently had a cleat fail on me during a ride and riding home with a plastic soled shoe on the keo pedal was a wicked pain in the arse. I actually pretended I was doing a one legged pedaling drill to not be pissed. Anyway, for this reason and versatility am I contemplating a switch to all SPD.

Intersting hearing from the CB fellow. I might have to try Eggbeaters to see what I think. I have eyed them for a while, just didn't want to bring a third product into the mix, but with the goal of simplifying down to one pedal style, that might be fruitful.

Anybody have a cheap-beater pair of egg beaters I could try?

Cheers

Bradford
04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
When I go back and forth between X pedals and Frogs (2 bikes with Frogs, one with lolipops), I don't notice any difference in performance.

Mountain shoes have more rubber for the treads, which means more grams, so that is the only difference for me. I use Sidi shoes for both, so the only difference is the extra rubber.

When I lose the extra 30 pounds I'm dragging around in my fat ass, I'll start to worrry about the extra grams in my shoes.

Joe Cyclist
04-24-2009, 12:37 PM
...was wondering how much faster (or less slow) I would be if I switched to road pedals.

Actually, you might be SLOWER on road pedals. I used to ride Look road pedals and no matter how much I trained, I would always get dropped at the cafe, diner or rest stop. :( If your ride avoids these challenging terrains, then road pedals are definitely the way to go with their wider platforms.

On another note, when I was riding Look pedals, the plastic cleats wore down pretty quickly. With SPDs, I've gotten over 10k from 1 set of cleats.

Dekonick
04-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Time ATAC's with D2 shoes... a wonderful marriage.

Dekonick
04-24-2009, 12:58 PM
I'll add - before carbon soled shoes, I had mountain bike spd's on my mountain bike, Look's on the road bike(s) - now with carbon soles, I see no benefit to road pedals unless you are gram counting. I have 2 pair of D2 shoes - one drilled for Look (gathering dust now...as I no longer use Look pedals) and one identical pair drilled for ATAC's. I have tried both pedal systems with identical shoes (except the pair drilled for ATAC's have a walking sole glued to the bottom - that is the ONLY difference.

If I could get D2 to drill the other pair for ATAC's, I would have them retro fit them with walking soles too.

Just my opinion. :)

peanutgallery
04-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Somewhere in the Euro-Pro style guide there is a rule forbidding the use of MTB pedals, shoes or any combination thereof on a road bike. It is unsightly and potentially embarrassing to you and your family if you get caught.

For performance, style and comfort on the road get the proper set-up. It's hard to beat. MTB stuff is designed with dirt and other things in mind and are miserable to ride on the road IMHO.

Dekonick
04-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Somewhere in the Euro-Pro style guide there is a rule forbidding the use of MTB pedals, shoes or any combination thereof on a road bike. It is unsightly and potentially embarrassing to you and your family if you get caught.

For performance, style and comfort on the road get the proper set-up. It's hard to beat. MTB stuff is designed with dirt and other things in mind and are miserable to ride on the road IMHO.

Only if you care what posers think of you. I don't.

I ride 'cuz I like it - and I like ATAC's. No annoying look squeak... and I haven't seen or tried any other pedal that performs as well.

Besides, have you even seen a D2 shoe before? I doubt it.

Who really cares what 'style man' says?

If it works, use it.

dgauthier
04-24-2009, 02:23 PM
I have Shimano SPD mountain pedals on all my road bikes. I like em fine, but was wondering how much faster (or less slow) I would be . . .

You touched on it in your original post SamIAm -- road pedals won't make you faster, but they might make you *less slow*. I switched from SPD style mountain pedals to Time road pedals some years back, and immediately shaved about 10 minutes from a 75 minute training route. The lower stack height and huge platform (compared to SPD) of the Time's resulted in better power transmission through the pedals.

Or rather, the large stack height and relatively small platform support of the SPD's slowed me down . . .

By the way, I give the Time road pedals two thumbs up . . . lots of float, very walkable cleats, and sublime support and "feel" whether in or out of the saddle.

Tobias
04-24-2009, 02:47 PM
I went back and forth a couple of times just to check it out and, yeah, there's a slight difference in lateral stability (you'll rock a little on the pedal with a smaller contact area), but its not enough to matter anymore. To me at least. +1

I'll add that IMHO the lower level of lateral stability is a good thing. It helps develop and strengthen the muscles in the lower legs similar to running.

palincss
04-24-2009, 04:17 PM

"Stability" -- you mean, like when your slippery plastic cleats shoot out from under you on the linoleum floor of a country store and you fall on your butt? Or when you have to get off to walk that super steep grade (because the Bike Virginia organizers insisted that everyone walk, I wouldn't dream of suggesting anyone here would ever actually have to get off to walk up a hill) and your feet whirl in place like Tom and Jerry in the cartoons, but you make no forward progress?

peanutgallery
04-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Only if you care what posers think of you. I don't.

I ride 'cuz I like it - and I like ATAC's. No annoying look squeak... and I haven't seen or tried any other pedal that performs as well.

Besides, have you even seen a D2 shoe before? I doubt it.

Who really cares what 'style man' says?

If it works, use it.

Unless D2 shoes come in white, you can't wear them on a road bike. It's unsightly and might shame your children

rugbysecondrow
04-24-2009, 05:49 PM
"Stability" -- you mean, like when your slippery plastic cleats shoot out from under you on the linoleum floor of a country store and you fall on your butt? Or when you have to get off to walk that super steep grade (because the Bike Virginia organizers insisted that everyone walk, I wouldn't dream of suggesting anyone here would ever actually have to get off to walk up a hill) and your feet whirl in place like Tom and Jerry in the cartoons, but you make no forward progress?

To funny. It is easier to walk up the slopes in skiis than road shoes. I actually ruined a Look cleet of mine once when sliding down a hill on the road. It wasn't even a big hill, but enough that it just ate up my soft plastic cleet.

Good times.

mschol17
04-24-2009, 07:28 PM

Buy some Shimano road pedals. The cleats are as walkable as you need them to be. It's cycling, not hiking.

dogdriver
04-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Road pedals for local rides. Bigger platforms (usu), better connection. However, if you plan to hop off the bike and walk (coffee, wine, exploring, etc), mtb shoes because you can walk without looking like a duck and won't slip on hard floors. Whenever I travel with my bike (I take it with me on work travel several times each year), I spin on mtb pedals so that I have mobility when walking. Plus, you can run faster if someone boosts your ride when you're in line at the deli...

IMHO, Chris

android
04-24-2009, 07:35 PM
I have Shimano SPD mountain pedals on all my road bikes. I like em fine, but was wondering how much faster (or less slow) I would be if I switched to road pedals. :) I am kidding, but I am interested in what the perceived benefit of a road over a mountain pedal might be.

Thanks

I mostly ride road, but I think the perceived differences are much more likely due to shoe choice rather than the cleat system. A lot of MTB shoes are soft soled to be more walkable. If you went with something like a Sidi Dominator and SPD pedals on a road bike, you would probably feel very little difference between that and say a Genius 5 with SPD-SL pedals.

fixednwinter
04-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Anyway, for this reason and versatility am I contemplating a switch to all SPD.

Intersting hearing from the CB fellow. I might have to try Eggbeaters to see what I think. I have eyed them for a while, just didn't want to bring a third product into the mix, but with the goal of simplifying down to one pedal style, that might be fruitful.

The pure Eggbeater model has no platform at all. While that makes it the perfect cyclocross pedal - it never fails even when your shoes are covered in snow or mud because it's such an open, simple design - it's not really a pedal you'd want for multi-hour road rides. The Candy and Quatto can provide that additional support.

I don't know the SPD line anymore (haven't used it since the early '90's), but surely there must be some SPD models that have added platform support like the Candy and Quattro? If you're already happy with SPD, I'd say ditch the Look's and stay all SPD. Find an SPD model with more platform for those long road rides.

Dekonick
04-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Unless D2 shoes come in white, you can't wear them on a road bike. It's unsightly and might shame your children

Nope - they are actually pretty ugly. DAMN GOOD SHOES THO!

Like I said, it only matters if you care what others think.

I don't.

Thats why I ride a Hors Categorie and could care less if everyone thinks the stays look damaged or otherwise odd. Damn good bike... if it works, use it!

palincss
04-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Buy some Shimano road pedals. The cleats are as walkable as you need them to be. It's cycling, not hiking.

I'm perfectly happy with SPDs. I converted the fleet from 646LMS to SPDs almost 15 years ago, and there's no way I'm going back. 747 and 959 pedals are just fine, and are in no way deficient compared to what I had before.

BTW - I've always used Sidi shoes, never those soft-soled MTB shoes mentioned above. When I first got SPDs I tried at least a dozen different ones, but they felt all wrong, couldn't figure out why until I tried the Sidis. I'd come from over 20 years of riding with old-style "nail on the cleats" road shoes. Those MTB shoes all felt like hiking boots, not cycling shoes. The Sidis, on the other hand, appear to use the same upper as their road shoe, only with a slightly diffferent sole. My current shoes are Dominator 5s.

flickwet
04-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Except for my Colorado which has old Looks, and I only ride that bike with my "vintage stuff" Lotto shoes or even the original white Look Touring style shoes, sometimes if I'm gonna be in traffic I like the saftey of a touring shoe when clipping and starting out, I mean I ain't racin'. Rest of the time I just wear my Cyclocross shoes cause no matter what I can walk.

NRRider
04-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Been using this shoe (or its predecessor, can't recall) for a couple years now. It's a road shoe with enough rubber around the front and back to make them easily walkable. http://www.lakecycling.com/cx125-p-97.html
Had to cut away a bit of the rubber in order to fit a Keo cleat, but it's been a great compromise. Road shoe and cleat that is perfectly walkable. Added bonus is the left cleat (I typically unclip at stops with the left) lasted 2 years before I had to change it a few days ago, whereas I used to go through cleats every few months.
Main disadvantage--they are a bit heavy and probably not as stiff as the newer pure road offerings. IMO, a small price to pay for the ability to use a road cleat on a walkable shoe. Then again, I don't race.

WadePatton
04-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Been wearing the same shoes/pedals for road/atb for many years now. Anybody remember when Look had a "mountain" pedal, just like the road pedal-but with mud windows and a no-slip bottom side? Well, that's when I started with clipless. Tried most of 'em. Like these best. They're the Bebop. loads of float and low stack. Also a big walkable cleat--well I don't know about road shoes.

And as someone else said, my atb shoes are road shoes with a bit of rubber added on.

If I try something else, I'll give the road shoe that DK likes a shot. Offroad I find SPD's to bind in the muck and Frogs don't release both ways (nor do I like the cleat), and Eggwhoopers are too dang tall-plus I saw one broken on the last ride.

nit picking the Bebop: must carve the shoe (atb) for spindle clearance, and cleats need regular replacement-once a year for me, though I've gone much longer.

Dustin
04-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Never been able to figure out "road shoes" for anyone but racers or others using the bike solely as a recreational toy. Want to be able to walk off the bike and have a supportive platform? Try some Sidi Dominaors with Shimano A520s (http://www.rei.com/product/724917?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-724917&mr:trackingCode=CF28D5C0-521A-DE11-B4E3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA)

fourflys
04-26-2009, 09:57 AM
For the last year and half, I've rode spd pedals on all my bikes... I like having the versitility. I have noticed I'm able to clip in faster than my buddy who has look style pedals (could just be him...), it really helps at stop lights.

I tried CB smartys at first and didn't like the little bit of verticle play they had...

Chris