PDA

View Full Version : More on Specialized Roubaix recall - PO'd

tv_vt
04-24-2009, 09:01 AM
My wife has a Roubaix Comp, bought in 2004. It has the single rivet cable stop that's being recalled.

Anyway, she called the local Specialized dealer and this is what she relayed to me:

"The lbs seems to be getting some conflicting information about whether the issue is the cable stops for the shifter cables on the down tube, or another cable stop behind the seat tube that holds the brake cable, or maybe both.

Anyway, it turns out that what they have to do is strip down the bike and send the frame out to Specialized in CA to have them do the work. Shipping will take about a week in each direction, and he doesn't know how quickly Specialized will turn it around :-( "

That sucks. Not a simple fix, if you ask me. And the local dealer hadn't even heard of the recall when she called them.

dvs cycles
04-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Seems to me the only saftey issue would be the brake cable stop failing.
At least you don't have to send it back to Taiwan where it was made. ;)

Lifelover
04-24-2009, 09:24 AM
I think I would check the stops once a month and just ride it.

bzbvh5
04-24-2009, 11:03 AM
I went to the Specialized site and found this about the recall:

Description: The recalled bicycles are as follows: 2004 Roubaix Comp 18, 2004 Roubaix Comp 27, 2004
Roubaix Pro 18, and 2004 Roubaix Pro frameset models. Only bicycles with a single rivet fastening the
cable stop to the frame are subject to recall. The cable stop is attached through bonding materials and a
single rivet mounted at the front of the bicycle. The cables pass through eyelets in the cable stop on the
down tube. Bicycles with a double rivet fastening the cable stop to the frame are not subject to recall. The
model names of the recalled bicycles can be found on the top tube of the bicycles.

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using their bicycle and return their bicycle to a Specialized
authorized dealer for an approved repair, at no cost to consumer.