PDA

View Full Version : Shoe pedal recomendation

Willy
04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Thinking about getting new shoes and maybe changing pedals. Presently have mountain type Sidi's with Shimano SPD predals - What about Look/Speedplay or Shimano platform types? Like the idea of lightest weight shoes. Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated?

thanks

Elefantino
04-23-2009, 07:59 PM
We voted on pedals a couple of years ago.

Click here (http://serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34645&highlight=pedals) to review our thoughts. Some good stuff.

PS: I always hated Miramonte.

false_Aest
04-23-2009, 08:19 PM
As per Swoop's recommendation I bought a pair of Time RSX Carbon pedals. Previous pedals weight almost twice as much (but I had no complaints).

The only thing that's a lil strange about the Time pedals is that they don't hang toe side up as well as my Looks did. But that could be because I don't have more than 500 miles on them yet.

I also upgraded to CRAB-ON souled shoes from Sidi Dominators and GEENIUS 4s. I dunno if I'm faster but I can definitely tell the difference in stiffness. Makes my feet happy.

bagochips3
04-24-2009, 10:05 AM
I currently use Ultegra pedals. They replaced a Look Delta pedal. The Ultegra are fine and lots of people dig them, but I preferred the Look. Just easier to clip in and out of. No idea how much either of them weighs.

I use SPD for commuting bikes just because it's easier to walk on the cleats. I prefer platform style pedals otherwise.

I'm a fan of DMT shoes. Most folks recommend Sidi shoes, and that's cool, but you'll have to pry the DMTs from my cold dead feet. ;)

dogdriver
04-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Try on lots of shoes and buy what fits.

I used to work in a ski shop, and the ultimate headache was a boyfriend/girlfriend duo coming in with the guy demanding that the girl be fitted in XXX brand boot because that's what he uses and they're AWESOME. Only problem was that his foot looked like a cinder block and hers looked like a flipper. Different brands use different lasts, and thus favor different foot shapes. Same with cycling shoes.

Sidi for me, Look for my wife, ??? for you. I won't get into pedals-- everyone has their own opinion on that...

My $.02, Chris

labratmatt
04-24-2009, 08:11 PM
I've tried several pedal systems in the past few years and found the Shimano SPD-SL system to be the best overall. They're not the lightest or the sexiest, but they're super solid and seem to be the best of all worlds.

I'm currently using the new Bontrager RXL shoes. They're super light but don't fit my feet quite as well as my old Shimano shoes. If the Bontrager shoes feel good, give them a try. The Specialized Pro and SL shoes are also really light and seem to be popular. I think I'll give them a go next time.

Pete Serotta
04-24-2009, 08:13 PM
There are many good shoes out there. One of my current favorites is SPECIALIZED. They fit, are relatively light and stiff, look ok. Vast majority of shoes accept vast majority of pedal types.

Pedals - what do you like in regard to feel and engagement/dis-engagement? go with the one you like...are major brands work well.

I have been using SPEEDPLAY for years but the Keo look interesting as do the time.

mcteague
04-25-2009, 06:55 AM
I've tried many pedals and thought Shimano's SL series was the best until I tried Time RXS. The float feels better than any I have had and they clip in so easily I seldom even think about it. On the rare entry miss they don't seem to slip off the pedal surface as with my Shimanos. I also like the metal to metal connection, much less wear than plastic types.

As for shoes, I tried on more brands than I can remember but only Shimano seem to fit right. I hate that I have to ride them on my Campy bike but what are you going to do. Sidi almost worked but their arch lump caused to much discomfort.

Tim McTeague

quattro
04-25-2009, 08:55 AM
I just switched from Time RXL Carbon to Shimano Dura Ace 7810 and from Specialized S-Works to Specialized Pro shoes, I like the larger platform on the 7810 pedals over the Time's and the Specialized Pro shoes have a wider/higer toe box in my opinion, all good for my troublesome feet. Everyone's feet are different, so I'm told, what works for one may not work for another, good luck in you selection.

Dave
04-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Speedplay is probably the lightest, with the lowest possible stack height, particularly if you have shoes with the Speedplay 4-hole pattern that eliminates the 3-hole adapter.

As for shoes, everyone's feet are different, so there is no telling which off the shelf brand might fit best. The latest Specialized top of the line shoes were too narrow for me.

I've had good luck with Sidi, but found that some of the newer carbon soled Genius models were heavier than 10 year old plastic soled models.

I tried the very light Rocket 7 shoes last year and they were OK, using a heat formable insole.

This year, I bought custom D2 shoes, that are slightly heavier than R7s, but fit better. The custom orthotic can't be beat when it comes to comfort and support. You should never get hot foot with the full arch support taking a lot of the pressure off the forefoot.

tkbike
04-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I also recommend the Time RXS Carbon, have them on two bikes, they both hang toe up!

I haven't found the ultimate pair of shoes yet.

Willy
04-28-2009, 09:59 PM
For anyones info - I ended up getting the Specialized Pro Road shoe ( full carbon sole) and Look Keo Carbon pedals. Went out on a tought 100k event over Mt Diablo this past weekend and they worked great. Still getting use to clicking in because the catch point is in a different location than my old SPD but have not fallen!

bkboom123
04-28-2009, 10:07 PM
I have the Time's on my bike as well.....and have no complaints so far

PCR
04-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Looks have worked for me for a long time but I am itching to use the eggbeaters.

dekindy
06-12-2009, 07:17 AM
I've tried several pedal systems in the past few years and found the Shimano SPD-SL system to be the best overall. They're not the lightest or the sexiest, but they're super solid and seem to be the best of all worlds.

I'm currently using the new Bontrager RXL shoes. They're super light but don't fit my feet quite as well as my old Shimano shoes. If the Bontrager shoes feel good, give them a try. The Specialized Pro and SL shoes are also really light and seem to be popular. I think I'll give them a go next time.

Which model Shimano are you comparing them to?

How does the ventilation compare between the Shimano, Specialized, and Bontrager?

quattro
06-12-2009, 07:33 AM
I have been wearing my new 2009 Specialized Pro shoes for almost 2 months now and I love them. They are what I have been hoping for, wide, high toe box, great heel grip, carbon fiber sole is stiff and the shoes with my custom orthotic are comfortable. Two velcro closures and a well placed strap/rachet that works well and does not cause any discomfort when tightened down firmly over my instep. No problem with ventilation, I never had any discomfort from my feet getting to hot, but I have not experienced any periods of very warm weather so far this season. Overall I highly recommend these shoes.

Walter
06-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Shoes are like seats in that comfort and function trumps everything else (at least for me). I have had great experience with Sidi (Megas due to a wider foot) shoes and Look KeO pedals.

cdn_bacon
06-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Time pedals (because of the float) and I used to swear up and down that my Sidi's ruled... bought a pair of Northwave Aerlite3 from a bike show for $100cdn and I absolutely love them. Super lite and stiff with great ventilation.

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/glorycycles_2058_14014909

avalonracing
06-12-2009, 08:06 AM
We voted on pedals a couple of years ago.

Couple of years ago? Time for a new vote. I've recently moved to Speedplay after years on SPD-R and three failed experiments with SPD-SL.

So far the Speedplay feels pretty nice with my Sidis.