PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Ultegra 9-Speed Question

bkboom123
04-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Just built up a Principia bike for my friend to get started with the sport. He is already interested in going from the Ultegra 9 speed triple to a double. Does anyone know if the older ultegra 9-speed triple shift levers can be used as a double? So he would only have to really change out the crank and FD? Thanks for the help.

rustychisel
04-22-2009, 10:05 PM
I believe that is the case with Ultegra 9 speed. The left STI has a three position trim function, so it can be used for double or triple chainring setup.

rwsaunders
04-22-2009, 10:09 PM
I believe that is the case with Ultegra 9 speed. The left STI has a three position trim function, so it can be used for double or triple chainring setup.

Ditto.

Ken Robb
04-22-2009, 11:43 PM
whoo-hoo-next week he can go to a fixie! :)

Tobias
04-23-2009, 07:00 PM
So he would only have to really change out the crank and FD? Thanks for the help.When I've compared the Ultegra 9-speed triple versus double cranks, I've seen no difference other than the bosses for the inner granny ring.

I don't know why you couldn't in theory just remove the inner ring. Maybe replace the BBKT and or the middle ring also. Personally I would first try leaving it with the 42/52 and see how he likes it (long term not a great solution due to added chain crossing to the big cog).

RPS
04-23-2009, 09:28 PM
So he would only have to really change out the crank and FD? Thanks for the help.Parts that are different between double and triple include bottom bracket, crank with chainrings, front derailleur, and rear derailleur.

IMO whether you need to change all these or not depends on what he is trying to accomplish. The triple rear derailleur, for instance, should work but will have more capacity than it needs for a double. However, it also looks like a triple derailleur, so if he is doing the conversion for appearance reasons that might be a problem for him.