PDA

View Full Version : KCNC Brakes?

Bruce K
04-22-2009, 10:41 AM
I am looking for a set of brakes for my new project bike for this summer.

The bike is being built with SRAM Red but I want to use something a little different and lighter for the brakes.

The KCNC's seem to be the same price as the Red brakes and less weight. Plus, they have gotten a good review that I saw and they come in black.

I have Zero G's on my Meivici and Ottrott and like them but don't want to spend the extra $100 bucks for a couple of reasons.

Also looking at TRP's but they weigh the same as Reds.

Any other ideas?

BK

93legendti
04-22-2009, 10:50 AM
I have them on my Tikit and they work fine. The feel is different than the ZG's, but they stopped my ~20 lb Tikit just fine after descending a steep mountain road. I may try the yellow Kool Stop pads.

chuckred
04-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Check out the recent review - other than weight, they scored lower than any of the others testing for stopping distance, power and modulation.

Sounds like they'd be great for climbing if you don't have to turn around and go back down!

Which would you notice more - 112 grams while climbing, or an extra 10 feet of stopping distance in a panic stop?

But, I'm no weight weenie, so you'll have to decide on form vs. function I guess.

dookie
04-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Check out the recent review...

apparently my search skills aren't up to snuff...got a link?

thx.

EDS
04-22-2009, 11:21 AM
apparently my search skills aren't up to snuff...got a link?

thx.

It's in this months mag.

1centaur
04-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Less but adequate stopping power is the gist I have pulled from weightweenies and fairwheel discussions.

Bruce K
04-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Can't find the review on line, I'll have to try Borders or the LBS for the mag.

At any rate, KCNC's are now off the list.

Red brakes list for about $300 which is why the KCNC's were appealing.

Force and Rival weigh almost the same and the Rival comes in Black for around $115.

I've liked the Zero G's but Negative G's are $400, the Ti's are $345. The only gripe is they are a little finniky to adjust when you set them up.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

BK

keevon
04-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Now now, don't go eliminating the KCNC's because of a Velosnooze article.

Have you seen the very comprehensive reviews of these brakes on Fairwheel Bike's forums?

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=5057
http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=4289

Z3c
04-22-2009, 11:57 AM
I have had the Zero G's, Neg G's and KCNC's on my Z3c. I found the Neg G's to be significantly better feeling at the lever and seemed to have a lot more stopping power than the Zero G's. The KCNC's seemed pretty similar to the NegG's to me, maybe just a tad less stopping power. All had the same pads, SwissStop yellows. I now have the 7900 calipers; at this point I am done trying aftermarket brakes as none of them had the feel/stopping power of what I have now. I had, briefly, Red brakes and was not very impressed overall.

If you really want something from this batch, I would suggest the Neg G's. I had very minimal set-up issues with these FWIW.

Hope this helps..

Scott

Ahneida Ride
04-22-2009, 12:13 PM
What does Pez have on his Mevici .... e-somethings ...

The reviews are quite good .... I'll keep searching for the name.

dookie
04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
It's in this months mag.

oh. no freebies then...drat.

the pez/meivici brakes might be the 'ee brake'? (http://www.eecycleworks.com/eebrake.html) way more $$ than the ZG. not that there really are any weightweenie options at a price point comparable to red.

to the OP, you're going to have a very hard time beating the weight/$ of the red calipers. but if weight isn't the primary thing and you're looking for something that works well, won't brake (groan) the bank, comes in black, and is a little off the beaten path...might i suggest the mavic ssc?

same weight as DA/record (but more than red, at a hair over 300g), absolutely buttery smooth action, great power & modulation. no QRs on the calipers though, so they work best w/campy levers (though i use them with red and can bang a 23mm tire in with no issues, or loosen the cable adjusters a bit).

just a thought.

Smiley
04-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Bruce, U won't need brakes on that project bike cause it will fly, a landing gear would be a better suited need :)

paczki
04-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Is it just me or do brakes seem the place that one shouldn't worry too much about weight!

Ken Robb
04-22-2009, 01:01 PM
It seems that the best of these only come close to the performance of Dura Ace so I don't understand spending big bucks for reduced performance to save a few grams. The ones with no quick release would be a pain unless you have a release in your lever.

Z3c
04-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Is it just me or do brakes seem the place that one shouldn't worry too much about weight!

I would have to agree; the only reason I went down this path was trying to keep the Parlee all black.. Once I rode with DA calipers again, it became very clear.

Scott

cdimattio
04-22-2009, 02:30 PM
My personal experience is somewhat limited, but my subjective evaluation includes both modulation and stopping performance.

Shimano 7800 > 2008 Campagnolo Record 10 > SRAM Red > KCNC

I thought the Shimano 7800 calipers were exceptional, hard top imagine how 7900 could improve upon them. Anything aftermarket would seem to be a compromise for a few grams that will have no meaningful impact on anyone's performance.

I am not sure I would look to save a few grams on brakes, as it it nice having the extra peace of mind.

It is all kind of relative, as any of these brakes are likely superior to the old single pivot stuff many of us used to ride.

The Campy Delta Caliper is another figurative example of how the performance of the new equipment spoils us. The Delta was a stunning engineering marvel and an exquisite object of art, but it seemed to be designed for speed modulation at the expense of pure stopping power.

Bruce K
04-22-2009, 10:11 PM
First, I'm not putting Shimano brakes on a SRAM Red bike. It's just not my thing.

The Red brakes cost and performance open up the market some to at least explore other options.

Plus, I prefer black brake calipers if I can get them for the upcoming project.

BK

John H.
04-22-2009, 10:19 PM
How about TRP960? I have been riding them since February. THey are great brakes.

giordana93
04-22-2009, 10:26 PM
you really need to hunt down that velonews. just got mine this week. they test a whole bunch of brakes and basically conclude what is somewhat obvious, that the uber light brakes are often lacking in power. of course they were going down the mountains of colorado and zinn is no small dude, so your braking requirements may differ.

oops, just find my copy. the kcnc were at bottom. they tested about a dozen.
fsa k force didn't do too badly, and they're black (best overall: Dura Ace 7800, but also the heaviest) the eebrake did pretty well for a lightweight, but it's over $500. your money, but I just can't fathom dropping $400 on brakes. then again, this is the serotta forum. I'm still riding my 15 year old 7401s

dookie
04-22-2009, 11:29 PM
did they include the ssc?

i say again...ssc!

Bob Ross
04-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Did they (either Velonews or Fairwheel) include the M5? Are the M5's even still available?

I thought brute stopping power was their entire raison d'etre -- an uberlight brake caliper that could still stop a speeding clydesdale on a dime. I have one 200+ lb buddy who swears by them. I think they cost more than his entire bike.

Some folks think they're fugly, but they are black. (The M5 brakes, not the folks who think...nevermind.)

CaptStash
04-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Just bought these Fetish calipers off of Flea Bay on a whim Got no clue how light they are or if they work very well, but sometimes you gotta' just go for it. They're supposed to show-up tomorrow. I'll let you know if they're any good.

http://i.ebayimg.com/21/!BQW6m+!!mk~$(KGrHgoOKjgEjlLmZRFRBJ4hk5)((Q~~_1.JP G

Bruce K
04-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Not sure if M5's are available still or not.

With Shimano and Red listing at around $300 most of the others fall in bewteen there and $400 so the added cost for something different is not particularly significant.

The ee's are definitely more and so off the list.

It's beginning to look like Negative G's are my best choice.

BK

h5gcarb0n
04-23-2009, 03:39 PM
you can still get m5 brakes but i would get them from some were other than fair wheel because they have them for a little over $700 but from posh bikes with no pad holders they are $420

Fair wheel (http://fairwheelbikes.com/m5-brams-brakes-p-51.html)

posh bikes (http://www.poshbikes.com/product.php?id=322)

M5 site (http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/site/EN/_m5__Lightweight_bike_parts/M5-side-pull-brake/)

hope this helps

dannyg1
04-23-2009, 04:08 PM
These Ti2 Racing brakes are some of the best brakes I've ridden:

http://ti2racing.com/Al1Brakes.html

Bruce K
04-23-2009, 08:24 PM
According to the site, the Ti2 brakes are no longer available. :crap:

They are working on an AL version.

BK

paczki
04-23-2009, 09:11 PM