PDA

View Full Version : Philly Race may be cancelled...

Ray
04-21-2009, 07:04 AM
This would really suck - this race is an institution around here and gets a LOT of non-cyclists interested in cycling. I sort of figured the writing was on the wall when the US Pro moved to South Carolina. Maybe this will be a short term thing if it happens, but once an event like this goes away, I'm not sure how easy it is to bring it back.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_top_stories/20090421_Cash-strapped_organizers_may_cancel_bike_race.html

-Ray

nahtnoj
04-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Horrible. Brings massive revenue and attention to the City. It would be nice to see some people (Jay Snider?) pony up.

avalonracing
04-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Bringing races back? Ha.
Before the championships were in Philly they were in B-More... It's not like it ever came back here.

csm
04-21-2009, 10:43 AM
I haven't gone to that since the CoreStates days. I wonder if the named Sponser, TD Bank, participated in the tarp funding? if so, I'd certainly question the sponsorship of any event like this. It is sad, though, that given the additional revenues an event like this brings in through sales tax, etc is not enough for the city government to offset what they consider additional costs. I mean, some of the city workers, police, etc would be working anyway.
if they fail to put on the race this year, it will be difficult in ensuing years to bring it back. maybe it will be like professional sports teams and find another city willing to pay to play.

Pete Serotta
04-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Bringing races back? Ha.
Before the championships were in Philly they were in B-More... It's not like it ever came back here.

Yep, I can not think of one ever coming back (at least in US). Tight times for all these type of events.

csm
04-21-2009, 10:56 AM
anyone remember the tour de trump/tour du pont?

paulandmonster
04-21-2009, 03:04 PM
fill in the blank. the only way i see it is the mayor is hoping to save 250,000. he must figure that pct can overcome this amount and still put on race that generates millions for the city. i would almost like to see chauner just say well then if you cant work with us we are out of here. since nutter has taken office i have seen this city get worse. it might be time to get out myself

goonster
04-21-2009, 03:07 PM
I wonder if the named Sponser, TD Bank, participated in the tarp funding?
They did not.

johnnymossville
04-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Nooooooooo! Don't cancel this race! $1.7 million to put it on. I bet it brings Many X that in economic activity around the city that week.

Ray
04-21-2009, 03:40 PM
fill in the blank. the only way i see it is the mayor is hoping to save 250,000. he must figure that pct can overcome this amount and still put on race that generates millions for the city. i would almost like to see chauner just say well then if you cant work with us we are out of here. since nutter has taken office i have seen this city get worse. it might be time to get out myself
Its tough to think long term when you're broke. Too busy trying to pay the bills today. Even though the race is a financial winner for the city when you count revenues, its hard not to cut the expense in the immediate term for both real and symbolic reasons. Particularly when you're closing libraries, etc. You may not like Nutter but go someplace else and you'll find a mayor with the same problems. Just about every governor and mayor in the country is unpopular right now. Because they don't have any money and they're cutting spending. Tough way to stay popular.

-Ray

Skrawny
04-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Maybe this will be a short term thing if it happens, but once an event like this goes away, I'm not sure how easy it is to bring it back

Alas, that's the same thing I thought about the SF Grand Prix.
-s

paulandmonster
04-21-2009, 08:07 PM
actually i dont dislike the mayor. i have talked to him many times. even if i did not like the race it brings money to the city. why not forbid the eagles from playing till they pay the 8 million they owe. if someone said to me give me 250,000 and i give you a million id dam sure find the money. if the city thinks the race will go on anyways and they still get their money thats crap. if that is the case if i were chauner id say say see ya philly. philly is a small town and needs events like this. why should i pay 19 percent more property tax plus city income tax to live here if they keep lowering the standard of living here. ill stop now i feel one hell of a rant coming on

rounder
04-21-2009, 08:54 PM
anyone remember the tour de trump/tour du pont?

Both are gone forever. I used to go to at least one stage when they came through maryland. i have been to the philly race for most of the last 20 years. lots of people and lots of fun. philadelphia will lose a great event if the race folds.