PDA

View Full Version : Need help, please - A special Bicycle for a handicap

legacysti888
04-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Hi All,

I'm trying to help a close friend who has polio on one of his legs. He is extremely serious in competing in triathlons and this is his only obstacle.

If anyone can help direct me to a place/builder/site that offers a compatible road bike or a custom shop who specializes in such a niche, I'd appreciate it very, very much.

The problem is that since the polio leg doesn't not have any muscle, it will hit onto the TT on the down stroke and it's not helping in efficiency and probably hurts, I suppose. So, I am assuming such a bike will not have a standard or slight sloping TT.

I should note his size is a 43cm or thereabouts.

Thanks so much in advance.

Simon

MattTuck
04-20-2009, 09:47 PM
It seems like it might be cheaper/easier to get some sort of brace for his leg, rather than a whole custom frame with no top tube.

legacysti888
04-20-2009, 09:54 PM
It seems like it might be cheaper/easier to get some sort of brace for his leg, rather than a whole custom frame with no top tube.

We have thought about that. My question is how to design a brace that will not hit the TT with the natural downstroke movement. The body/leg of his is inclined to bow into the TT on the downstroke. He has ridden before on a Cannondale 300, but the bruises on his knee/leg tell a clear story of how his polio leg moves on a bike.

We have even tried hooking up a padded stretchablemesh like material onto the TT, but it's still uncomfortable for him.

Thanks for your suggestion! :)

mschol17
04-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Check out Bohemian Bikes, he has a special needs section on his website. So, he's at least thought about non-traditional fit issues.

legacysti888
04-21-2009, 01:13 AM
Check out Bohemian Bikes, he has a special needs section on his website. So, he's at least thought about non-traditional fit issues.

Thanks mschol17!

Any suggestions is MOST appreciated.

dogdriver
04-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Get ahold of the National Ability Center (www.discovernac.org) in Park City, UT. Their sole agenda is helping people with handicaps lead active lives, and their clients include a range of people with profound issues to World-class athletes with handicaps. I'll bet someone there has dealt with a situation similar to your bud's and may save you from re-inventing the wheel.

Drop a line if you need me to make a visit for you-- its close , and my son does their ski program in the winter.

Cheers, Chris

legacysti888
04-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Heart felt thanks to all who have posted, emailed and PM'd me on suggestions and directions to look for help for my friend.

He has started training and will be going on his second ironman (I think) next year. He completed his first about 10 years ago.

Please keep the suggestions and help coming in!

I will keep all posted who is interested in his progress.

Thanks again! :beer:

Hardlyrob
04-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Reach out to Steve Garro of Cococinno (sp?) Cycles - he was badly injured in a crash and is in a wheelchair, and he builds beautiful frames - road, cross, MTB, 29'ers etc. He may be able to give you some insight that others can't.

He's across the hall all the time.

Good luck!

Rob

Kevan
04-21-2009, 12:24 PM
but what about a mixte style frame, getting the TT out of the way?

Rhody
04-21-2009, 12:31 PM
You might call Creative Mobility which is affiliated with The Bike Rack

http://thebikerack.com/

Scott

Joe Cyclist
04-21-2009, 02:02 PM
The problem is that since the polio leg doesn't not have any muscle,

Not exactly sure what this means, but if it means that he's only pedaling with one leg, maybe PowerCranks would be a solution that he could install on his current bike. They're not cheap, but they'd be cheaper than a custom.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6446

tuscanyswe
04-21-2009, 03:43 PM
I know of a guy who makes bikes wheelchairs and handbikes in Ti and carbon. Ill ask him and c what he can think of, he should have good insight as he himself has no use in his legs and compete in handcycling.

Let you know how it goes.

legacysti888
04-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Not exactly sure what this means, but if it means that he's only pedaling with one leg, maybe PowerCranks would be a solution that he could install on his current bike. They're not cheap, but they'd be cheaper than a custom.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6446

Thanks for the suggestion, will check into it. :beer:

What it means is that he really has no use (or not able to use) of his left leg. He walks with a very defined limp and supports his walk by bending over and having his left hand over his left knee to move it manually. I dunno if that makes sense.

He can't move his left leg from the hip down.

Thanks again!

legacysti888
04-21-2009, 03:49 PM
I know of a guy who makes bikes wheelchairs and handbikes in Ti and carbon. Ill ask him and c what he can think of, he should have good insight as he himself has no use in his legs and compete in handcycling.

Let you know how it goes.

Thanks tuscanyswe. Very much.

bzbvh5
04-21-2009, 04:35 PM
I don't know enough about polio to say if this will work. You said that one leg doesn't have any muscle. So I am assuming it adds no power to the bike. It made me think if this is true, don't put a crank on that side of the bike and fit a pedal to the bottom bracket. The leg won't move, the bearings in the pedal will spin at the same rate they would under normal conditions, and the leg will have something to rest on.

palincss
04-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Is this a job for a handcycle? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handcycle

legacysti888
04-21-2009, 07:50 PM
I don't know enough about polio to say if this will work. You said that one leg doesn't have any muscle. So I am assuming it adds no power to the bike. It made me think if this is true, don't put a crank on that side of the bike and fit a pedal to the bottom bracket. The leg won't move, the bearings in the pedal will spin at the same rate they would under normal conditions, and the leg will have something to rest on.

That is an idea we have not even thought of! Awesome concept! :banana:

Thanks and we will look into it tonight.

legacysti888
04-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Is this a job for a handcycle? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handcycle

He insists on riding and pedaling. He does have great upper body strength though.

legacysti888
03-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Hokay.

My friend, Sith, (his nick, actually) has finally gone bloomin' bonkers.

He bought a xs Argon 18 E-114 frameset. It was delivered to me today and it's still in the box. He'll be dropping by in a couple of hours to open his new carbon 'toy.'

He will be starting his training next month and will require this bike to be built.

He's already started his riding on his old Cannondale 300 which was recently built with 7800 triple group and 650 Zipp 404 clinchers..

How did he resolve his left leg from hitting the TT? He hasn't... sigh.

Now that he has this frameset, I'd need the power of the forumite collective to help me in building this thing with his handicap in mind.

I was thinking a 7900 group or even Di2, if his budget allows and somehow rigging a thin neoprene wrapped expanded PVC board of some kind onto the TT so when his leg comes in contact on the down stroke, it just slides on the board and not slam on the TT.

Just a thought.. what'dya think? I know, it's gona look quite ghetto on such a pretty bike.. but.. isn't function more important than looks? As for form, he can't control where his left leg is going...

He'll be competing in the Triathlons next year to raise funds and awareness for the Shriners Children Hospital.

weisan
03-15-2010, 10:38 PM
legacy-pal, sorry if I am treading on your toes...sounded like a bunch of folks came up with some viable suggestions, did you follow up on any of the leads?

The bottomline is:
I think your friend should send his latest TT rig to me.

legacysti888
03-16-2010, 12:15 AM
Aloha Weisan,

I forgot to post this before my last post... yes, I have done my research with the recommendations of all the kind folks here. My humble thanks!

Bottom line: none worked well for him.

As stubborn as he is and not wanting to 'look and act' like a handicap, he is determined to ride a standard bike. We're working with a local custom fab company who helping us with a cf/ti walking prosthetic.

We have started working on a custom brace design for his cycling posture.

In the meantime, i was thinking of a simple 'guide glide' design that will prevent him from getting bruised on the downstroke.

This is going to be quite a fun project.. :)

If he doesn't like his new rig, I'll tell him about your request. ;)

weisan
03-16-2010, 05:47 AM
legacy-pal, thank you so much for the update and...keeping me in your favor. ;)
btw, I have seen the pictures of your bikes...oulala, they looked so right, every single one of em'! I wouldn't mind you sending one of em' to me if your friend decided to keep his. ;)

unwell_ultra
03-16-2010, 05:59 AM
You might try Challenged Athletes Foundation http://www.challengedathletes.org
They help athletes with physical disabilities.

legacysti888
03-16-2010, 12:45 PM
legacy-pal, thank you so much for the update and...keeping me in your favor. ;)
btw, I have seen the pictures of your bikes...oulala, they looked so right, every single one of em'! I wouldn't mind you sending one of em' to me if your friend decided to keep his. ;)

Lol, do you ride a 55/56? Thanks for the compliment. ;) I think Sith will be keeping his for awhile...

legacysti888
03-16-2010, 12:46 PM
You might try Challenged Athletes Foundation http://www.challengedathletes.org
They help athletes with physical disabilities.

This is so perfect.

Thank you.

weisan
03-16-2010, 04:29 PM
do you ride a 55/56?
I MOST DEFINITELY DO!!!
http://kecute.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/dog-cute-baby.jpg