PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Pegoretti?

scottcw2
04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Ideally I would order a stock 58 GGM or Marcelo directly from Dario, but the lead time I was quoted is pretty long.

What builder would you choose as an alternative to Pegoretti without the long lead times? Why?

capybaras
04-20-2009, 02:31 PM
http://www.serotta.com/3-weeks-or-less.html

maddog17
04-20-2009, 02:33 PM
where are you? are there any local builders you could work with? that would be my first suggestion. other than that, there are plenty of small builders who should be able to the build for you... Strong, Wojcik, Land shark, Steelman, Mooney are some off the top of my head. how long of a wait does Serotta have?

Pete Serotta
04-20-2009, 02:35 PM
That is a difficult question. If you really want a Peg, then put in for it and sock the $$s away. If it does not have to be custom, look at Competitive Cyclist among others and see if they can find you one.

After all these years, I have learned that quite often a substitute is not a substitute for you always want the first one you wanted.

Think about why you picked the PEG in the first place and then talk to builders about those qualities in their frames.

I still remember Steve Hampsten had a t-11 ANDY Peg two years ago that I lusted for and still do.

Talk to Steve Hampstem, Kelly Bedford, Tom Kellogg, David Kirk and see if they can meet your lust. (the order I have listed them in is not based on anything and there are many other builders out there) Reason I did not mention Vanilla, Sachs, Weigle was that the lead times are probably longer than Peg.

caleb
04-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Did you check with Gita? If you want a stock bike, they might have some sitting in their warehouse.

stackie
04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
You could have people on this forum let you know if they've seen one in a shop. For instance, Mission Hill Bicycles in San Diego had 4 Pegs hanging in their shop in the fall. I did steer Mr. Brunk that direction, so there may be none left. At least one was a Marcelo. I don't recall the sizes other than not big enough for me at 6'4.

Jon

scottcw2
04-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Did you check with Gita? If you want a stock bike, they might have some sitting in their warehouse.

Gita told me I would have to check with the local shops.

fixednwinter
04-20-2009, 03:22 PM
I still remember Steve Hampsten had a t-11 ANDY Peg two years ago that I lusted for and still do.

Funny you should mention that exact bike. It was a snap shot of the 7-11 Andy/Pegoretti special that prompted me to get in touch with Hampsten Cycles and get my first custom bike in years.

And yes, I still think it would be a great idea to order a Duende and ask Mr. Pegoretti to use the same paint scheme from that bike...

r_mutt
04-20-2009, 03:35 PM
peg usually means tig-welded steel. for me, i would go with desalvo for tig-welded steel. good price, service, and he welds sasha's speedvagen frames. that right there is a pretty good recommendation imho.

giordana93
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM
http://gaulzetticicli.blogspot.com/

these are designed by craig, aka the jerk here on older posts. he mostly plays across the hall now, but these look like some hot race bikes with a few interesting color choices

btw, these are welded aluminum

sbornia
04-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Montano Velo in Oakland usually has a number of Pegs in stock.

A Serotta CDA would be great if you trust your local shop/fitter. Or a Rock Lobster from Paul Sadoff in Santa Cruz.

scottcw2
04-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Funny you should mention that exact bike. It was a snap shot of the 7-11 Andy/Pegoretti special that prompted me to get in touch with Hampsten Cycles and get my first custom bike in years.

And yes, I still think it would be a great idea to order a Duende and ask Mr. Pegoretti to use the same paint scheme from that bike...

I have a Duende already. Really looking for more of a "race" bike. I consider the Duende more a century/comfort bike.

scottcw2
04-20-2009, 04:01 PM
http://gaulzetticicli.blogspot.com/

these are designed by craig, aka the jerk here on older posts. he mostly plays across the hall now, but these look like some hot race bikes with a few interesting color choices

btw, these are welded aluminum

I would jump on this if they were steel instead of alu.

csm
04-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I'd consider that brand... what is it again...
Serotta. yeah, that's it.

sailorboy
04-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I would jump on this if they were steel instead of alu.

I don't see why this matters...of course if you have to have steel, then there are plenty of folks out there making good tig or lugged stuff. Desalvo comes to mind. Even the new guy Ben is making some nice stuff at argonaut, especially with max tubesets. I would imagine you could get some similar ride qualities as found in a Peg.

FWIW, I think most people would agree that Dario works some of the same properties into the steel and aluminum frames he builds. It's been said before; its about the design, not the material.

If you are OK with alu and a nice price point for a basically custom frame with paint color of your choice, 2 grand out the door with headset and reported wait time of only 6-8 weeks, I can't see how you can go wrong with one of the jerk's gaulzettis. Besides, who doesn't want a cock on their bike?

Full disclosure: I'm getting one, and I sold my marcelo to fund it. Craig told me two of his biggest influences in frame design are pegoretti and merckx. Can't go too wrong there IMHO.

Climb01742
04-20-2009, 04:40 PM
and word has it (wink wink nudge nudge) there may be a steel jerk-issimo in the works. that said, a peg is worth waiting for. the knowledge dario has in his head and hands is pretty unique, but i'm biased.

scottcw2
04-20-2009, 04:59 PM
and word has it (wink wink nudge nudge) there may be a steel jerk-issimo in the works. that said, a peg is worth waiting for. the knowledge dario has in his head and hands is pretty unique, but i'm biased.

A steel steed by the Jerk would be hawt. I agree that a Peg is worth waiting for, didn't mean to imply otherwise. Just curious if there was something else with a unique blend of OS tubing and comfort that was more readily available.

bikemoore
04-20-2009, 06:35 PM
just a shot in the dark here.... being the Serotta forum and all. Seriously, having two stock steel Serotta's myself (Atlanta and Colorado TG), I can't understand why Serotta would not be at or near the top of any list for a steel bike these days....especially for someone on this forum.

scottcw2
04-20-2009, 06:37 PM
just a shot in the dark here.... being the Serotta forum and all. Seriously, having two stock steel Serotta's myself (Atlanta and Colorado TG), I can't understand why Serotta would not be at or near the top of any list for a steel bike these days....especially for someone on this forum.

'cuz they no longer make the one steel Serotta I would be interested in... the CSI with 3D drops.

norman neville
04-20-2009, 06:40 PM
and all i see is ridley.

not that there's anything wrong with that...

I don't see why this matters...of course if you have to have steel, then there are plenty of folks out there making good tig or lugged stuff. Desalvo comes to mind. Even the new guy Ben is making some nice stuff at argonaut, especially with max tubesets. I would imagine you could get some similar ride qualities as found in a Peg.

FWIW, I think most people would agree that Dario works some of the same properties into the steel and aluminum frames he builds. It's been said before; its about the design, not the material.

If you are OK with alu and a nice price point for a basically custom frame with paint color of your choice, 2 grand out the door with headset and reported wait time of only 6-8 weeks, I can't see how you can go wrong with one of the jerk's gaulzettis. Besides, who doesn't want a cock on their bike?

Full disclosure: I'm getting one, and I sold my marcelo to fund it. Craig told me two of his biggest influences in frame design are pegoretti and merckx. Can't go too wrong there IMHO.

Z3c
04-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Mike DeSalvo is making great bikes at reasonable prices with fairly short lead times..

Scott

sailorboy
04-20-2009, 06:51 PM
and all i see is ridley.

not that there's anything wrong with that...

You must be referring to the scandium models? all their carbon bikes seem to have only 5 or 6 sizing options. Which IMO is the main issue with most monocoque carbon bikes--limited size options.

You might find that even beyond his published geos, Craig will work with you for specific requests if you ask, although I'm pretty sure he won't stray too far from what he posted. IOW, no goofy upright set-ups with your bars higher than your saddle etc. He says it right up front, this is a race bike, pure and simple. If that's not what you are looking for, it would be advisable to look elsewhere.

maunahaole
04-20-2009, 06:52 PM
The jerk could also probably get you a peg. The builder "lighthouse cycles" was also dropped across the hall. Might be worth checking out.

taz-t
04-20-2009, 09:06 PM
if I were looking for something with a Peg vibe, i'd strongly consider a Zullo.

I really liked the Inquibo at NAHBS and would loved to have taken it home (and I say that having a Peg Team Custom and a Marcelo waiting to hang parts on). The MaxSilenus is very cool too.

- taz

Ken Robb
04-20-2009, 09:36 PM
I was impressed when I met Paul Taylor at the San Diego show. Good conversation and some nice bikes for display. He said he could deliver a custom bike in 8 weeks.

scottcw2
04-20-2009, 11:16 PM
I was impressed when I met Paul Taylor at the San Diego show. Good conversation and some nice bikes for display. He said he could deliver a custom bike in 8 weeks.

Interesting, one came up on the Bay recently - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230337701012

rspecker
04-20-2009, 11:21 PM
+1

With a 3 week lead time why wouldn't you just order a CDA?

rspecker
04-20-2009, 11:23 PM
'cuz they no longer make the one steel Serotta I would be interested in... the CSI with 3D drops.
missed your response. sorry.

caleb
04-20-2009, 11:40 PM

I had a Taylor briefly. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

erector
04-21-2009, 12:00 AM
I used to work for SuperGo(ne), and we had a lot of good bikes. Specialized, Time, LiteSpeed, Cervelo, a couple of DeRosas, felts, kestrels, and a number of others. I road em all, and I fell in love with PEgoretti. It took me 4 years to get mine (slow saving) but now I have a MArcelo that I wouldn't trade for the world. Stout, comfy, special paint w. custom oriental massage advertisement on the downtube. It's legit.

You've got a duende, ride that til the Marcelo comes in. You know it's the only way to go.

soulspinner
04-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Another vote for Strong. My Strong is stiffer than my other steel steeds where it needs to be yet comfy at the end of a long ride. His tube mixing shows his experience in translating your desires exactly as stated to the road. Spectrum powderworks makes em pretty with paint or powder.

duke
04-21-2009, 06:48 AM
How about a Calfee Dragonfly. You can have it painted with some goofy paint scheme with some weird glyphs thrown in. Two pounds lighter than the the Peg.
duke

fixednwinter
04-21-2009, 08:13 AM

Perhaps in MAX tubing? :)

Climb01742
04-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Perhaps in MAX tubing? :)

not a bad guess. :beer:

Pete Serotta
04-21-2009, 10:56 AM
How about a Calfee Dragonfly. You can have it painted with some goofy paint scheme with some weird glyphs thrown in. Two pounds lighter than the the Peg.
duke

Not the same....I still want that Peg that Steve H has..... :)

jeffg
04-21-2009, 12:29 PM
A Peg is a Peg and Dario has a different design philosophy than Serotta (both are great bikes but they are not the same). Honestly, I can't think of anyone who makes bikes quite like Dario. I just set a PR on a 206 mile double century with 18,000+ feet of climbing on a Love#3 and I swear it's smoother than my Marcelo or my Ti Legend.

That Ti Legend, BTW, still has been with me on more miles than any other bike and is going to one of my kids.

So, if you would get a Serotta but need lugs, what about someone with Serotta heritage such as Mssrs. K. Bedford (who designed my Legend) or D. Kirk? Those guys have only peers in the industry

Jack Brunk
04-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Jeff is a 100% correct. A Peg is so different and truly in a class of it's own. There are no copies out there.

Bob Ross
04-21-2009, 02:31 PM
How about a Calfee Dragonfly.

For some reason this just reminded me of those word problems you'd find on Scholastic Aptitude Tests in grade school:

Calfee Dragonfly is to Pegoretti as Adult Diaper is to _______________

A) Bowling Ball
B) Zircon-Encrusted Tweezers
C) Uterine Fibroids
D) Duck Sauce

acorn_user
04-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Zullo or Scapin perhaps? At the cheaper end, how about Marinoni?

fogrider
04-22-2009, 02:19 AM
the question is why do you want a peg? from what I know about dario and the way his bikes ride, there is nothing else like it. but I have also hear the same about richard sach's bikes...and he has stopped taking orders. but I have also heard similar comments about vanilla and even rivendall. so if you want a steel bike that is light and rides great, put you name in and ride your other bikes until dario gets around to building your bike. someday after my kids finish college, and dario is still building bikes, I might find the money to give dario a call...for now, I'll ride my rock lobster and legend ti for now.

another builder using s3 tubing is waterford.

sspielman
04-22-2009, 06:33 AM
You could always get a DeRosa Primato, an assortment of model paints, take it to a nearby daycare center and let the children have at it with the paint....

paczki
04-22-2009, 07:31 AM
I don't think my Bob Brown stainless can be topped:

http://www.bobbrowncycles.com/stainless_frames.htm

93legendti
04-22-2009, 09:18 AM
If I couldn't get a Peg, I would get a Kirk JKS Terraplane, a Spectrum or a used CSi.

james - did you ever have a colorado concept frame at whatever the
height of that model's time was? when it was still fully lugged and had
all the multi-shaped stuff, i thought it was near to the pinnacle of what
could be done with a production steel frame atmo.

fiamme red
04-22-2009, 09:35 AM
A Basquiat print, maybe? ;)

jcarlton
04-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Although as someone else mentioned, Sasha White of Vanilla has like a 5 year wait and in fact has stopped taking orders, he recently designed the Speedvagen as a sort of production bike. I believe he's getting help building these, by such builders as DeSalvo (based in Ashland, OR) who you might also want to check out. If Sasha has confidence in him...

http://speedvagen.com/

RkyMtn
04-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey Scotty:

Pegoretti geometry chart shows a 58cm bike having a 57.5 TT. If you can manage a 57cm TT, Bikyle might still have one in a paint scheme, Butterfly, that I have never seen, except for this instance. I love it. I got my "Why Not?" from them. I wanted the "Butterfly", but no size for me.

http://www.bikyle.com/pegoretti.asp

Cheers,

Eric

scottcw2
04-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm good. No further suggestions needed.

ty-ro
04-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Is it against the law to put anything other than Campy on a Pegoretti? :confused:

I'm just saying... ;)

RkyMtn
04-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Is it against the law to put anything other than Campy on a Pegoretti? :confused:

I'm just saying... ;)

No,... but it is a sin.
:no:

Eric

sjbraun
04-24-2009, 08:07 AM
My Marcelo is kitted out with Campy, but I use Shimano pedals.

Haven't been arrested, yet.

csm
04-24-2009, 09:10 AM

I'm just saying... ;)

I think the Pope pays you a visit to repent if you put shimano on it.

jtferraro
04-24-2009, 09:22 AM
I think the Pope pays you a visit to repent if you put shimano on it.

Pedals is understandable, atmo. However, Team NERAC's first year (2005, I believe) they were on Fina Estampa's w/Ultegra 6600. Certainly wouldn't be my 1st choice but, it'll work.

LIGHTHOUSE
04-26-2009, 06:54 PM
If you want tig welded steel the best is Strong frames. www.strongframes.com

r_mutt
04-28-2009, 07:23 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm good. No further suggestions needed.

so after all of those suggestions, what did you decide?

mistermo
04-28-2009, 07:44 AM

I'm just saying... ;)

I was in my LBS this weekend (in Indianapolis) and saw a beautiful carbon Colnago C50 painted with the world champion scheme. To my horror, it was kitted with Shimano DA. I made a polite, but snide comment to the proprietor who told me the bike belonged to Scott Dixon.

Scott Dixon is the reigning Indy 500 champion, IndyCar series champion, and winner of this past Sundays race in Kansas City. Perhaps he's fitted a Ferrari engine into his racing Honda?