PDA

View Full Version : question for Dee Bee aahR Kaay

coylifut
12-23-2004, 10:06 AM
What is audax style? I have a friend who's done PBP and believe I'm quite familair with rando, but I've done some googling on audax and never really found a satisfactory description. :confused:

schneiderrd
12-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Two basic styles of randonneuring arose in France and are practiced throughout the world.

The more common style nowadays is the Brevets de Randonneurs Mondiaux (BRM). For these events, everyone rides at his or her own pace (allure libre in French). The checkpoint times determine a minimum and a maximum pace in BRM events.
The Audax style is less common. In these events, a group of riders ride the whole event together at a given pace and take scheduled stops together where food and lodging have been pre-arranged.

dirtdigger88
12-23-2004, 10:28 AM
I think it is day touring? You know like to the vinyards and back. You are not carrying gear for multiple days- etc. I am probably not even close though

Jason

coylifut
12-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Two basic styles of randonneuring arose in France and are practiced throughout the world.

The more common style nowadays is the Brevets de Randonneurs Mondiaux (BRM). For these events, everyone rides at his or her own pace (allure libre in French). The checkpoint times determine a minimum and a maximum pace in BRM events.
The Audax style is less common. In these events, a group of riders ride the whole event together at a given pace and take scheduled stops together where food and lodging have been pre-arranged.

sounds fun. thank you

dbrk
12-23-2004, 11:33 PM
Well, the riding aspect of audax style has been well-described here but if you are looking to see what a traditional bike might be like, have a gander here: http://www.generalworks.com/toeisha/t5003_photo.html

This is a 50th Anniversary model Toei, one of the truly great Japanese builders. Toei is to audax what Nagasawa is to racing traditions. This bike is just plain wonderful. You can see something like this from Singer, Herse, Mariposa, and soon from Cycles Tournesol. That's pretty darn stylin' but also functional, efficient, and stalwart.

dbrk

vaxn8r
12-24-2004, 12:31 AM
That bike would be perfect if not for one rather obvious failing.....look how short that rear fender is. I suppose it'll keep the rider's butt dry, but I wouldn't want to be riding behind him or her. They've got the right idea up front to keep the front spray down. That one is of perfect length.

I'm not sure why, but all rear fenders i've seen come too short. It's easily remedied at home with an add-on extender but it would look better if the fender came properly sized in the first place.

Otherwise, that is a very sweet bike.

vaxn8r
12-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Speaking of extenders, it got me thinking about some of the one's I've seen. Here in Oregon, you really aren't welcome on group rides without both fenders and extenders. Otherwise you are basically a "**** head". It's fascinating to see the personal statements and creative designs on some of these extenders. They range from simple pieces of plastic to parts of old water bottles to neoprene flaps with various designs...racing flags to pin-up women like you might see on the mud flaps on pick-up trucks or semis. One guy made an extender out of heavy duty push-broom material which is so low it almost sweeps against the ground. The lower the better! It is a pretty funny sight when you pay attention to the thought that went behind some of these.

coylifut
12-24-2004, 07:11 AM
Speaking of extenders, it got me thinking about some of the one's I've seen. Here in Oregon, you really aren't welcome on group rides without both fenders and extenders. Otherwise you are basically a "**** head". It's fascinating to see the personal statements and creative designs on some of these extenders. They range from simple pieces of plastic to parts of old water bottles to neoprene flaps with various designs...racing flags to pin-up women like you might see on the mud flaps on pick-up trucks or semis. One guy made an extender out of heavy duty push-broom material which is so low it almost sweeps against the ground. The lower the better! It is a pretty funny sight when you pay attention to the thought that went behind some of these.

Fender etiquette could make a complete thread, but it wouldn’t get much play here. I once asked Tom Kellogg if he had a fender bike and he said “no. In the winter here (PA), moisture comes frozen.” Here in Western Oregon, moisture rarely comes frozen and as I gander outside, the streets are completely wet even though it hasn’t rained for a few days due to thick fog. Consequently, racing clubs (and I suppose non racing clubs as well) require fenders anytime the ground is wet or there is even a remote chance of rain which covers about 80% of the late October through May days. Our club does a charity sponsored century every May and I’ve yet to ride it without fenders. The basic rule is that the rear flap should be no more than 6 inches off the ground. Four inches is ideal. For the front, it’s up to you, they’re you feet.

That brings up another subject. What bike do you use for your rain bike? Most people use the one they have and make the fenders fit the bike. “Ride what you got” is the motto. Racers own racing bikes and when they get a new bike, the old race bike often gets fenders. Fitting fenders to a bike that was never supposed to have em results in some unique solutions. The most popular solution is to use “reach-a-rounds” fabricated out of rack mounts. There’s a shop here in Portland (and another one I can think of in Seattle) that has a reputation for fitting fenders to any bike. They’ve got every attachment doohickey known to man to mount em. A lot of guys use cross bikes, but I don’t like the way my cross bike rides on the road.

The most beautiful fenders I've seen are the "full wood" fenders made by one of the principals of River City Bicycles here in Portland. Wait till dbrk sees these.

dbrk
12-24-2004, 07:33 AM
I'm not sure why, but all rear fenders i've seen come too short. It's easily remedied at home with an add-on extender but it would look better if the fender came properly sized in the first place.

vaxn8r,
You are, of course, entirely correct but the reason for the short rear mudguard is in your own reply, viz., that it's supposed to have a flap. A nice leather Berthoud example would not only suit this bike but last for years, even in the wet NW. A flap up front wouldn't be bad either. My 650B Singer has a rubber one that almost touches the ground but never does and even though it's more than 20 years old, it's not even close to being worn out. Hmm, mud flaps: there's a bicycle item I can get excited about the way some folks like carbon cranks or handlebars or, I dunno, other stuff. I think making mud flaps outta' carbon is not an idea whose time has yet come.

dbrk

ShockTreatment
12-24-2004, 10:17 AM
I never realized it, but my rear fender is short at the end. Most folks around here don't use fenders, or use the really short ones, so they appreciate that I have full fenders on my rain bike. A flap would be a nice addition. -ST

coylifut
12-24-2004, 10:44 AM
I never realized it, but my rear fender is short at the end. Most folks around here don't use fenders, or use the really short ones, so they appreciate that I have full fenders on my rain bike. A flap would be a nice addition. -ST

Two methods.

1. Go to the lbs and see if they have any broken fenders and just extend your rear

2. Mount a flap. If your fender is real short, you can cut up a large water bottle for extra length.

The front flap is for your feet. Wet feet = cold feet.

vaxn8r
12-24-2004, 04:10 PM
The most beautiful fenders I've seen are the "full wood" fenders made by one of the principals of River City Bicycles here in Portland. Wait till dbrk sees these.
Yes, I've seen these and they are B-E-A-EUTIFUL!

My rain bikes have been a 1983 Nishiki pro. That lasted only about 2 years because I found I could not stop in the rain very well with those old Record rubber-block stoppers. Seriously some of the hills out here...you need brakes. Then my rain bike became a Eddy Mercx 753 with Shimano 600. I rode that about 5 years before my latest iteration....a Lemond OCLV. Best (rain) bike in the world...said in my best Mario Cippolini accent.

Admittedly these are not for commuting. They are for hard, fast, wet, group rides. Sadly I am unable to commute due to work related issues. Otherwise one of those Singer/Herse/Mariposas would be a verrry cool ticket! I drool every time I see one of DBRK's examples posted here.

The local shop I use can fit fenders on anything with 2 wheels. They are inexpensive ($40 a set including installation) and often very creative solutions.

vaxn8r
12-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Sorry for hijacking the thread....

coylifut
12-24-2004, 04:33 PM
Sorry for hijacking the thread....

that's a great price. custom fenders are $100 in my hood.

dbrk
12-24-2004, 09:10 PM
This afternoon I did a make-over on my Rivendell LongLow. This was the first non-prototype of this model which was offered around 1996/7 when frames were still being built exclusively by Waterford and before they moved brieftly to match bicycles (Tim Issac and Co.). It's fair to say that Riv LongLow was the predecessor to the now Toyo-made Atlantis, that is, the design of this bike was for fat tires, all-around riding, fender options up to as much as 35c, cantilever brakes, and a low bb (8cm) and long chainstays (mine are 44cm). My own bike was destroyed in an accident a few years back when Curt Goodrich repaired, more like rebuilt, the entire bike salavaging only the rear triangle and bb shell. Still the bike retained its character with round track-fork-style blades, a beautiful flat fork crown, and a few degrees of slope (maybe 3d) but I had a longer toptube and an even more relaxed seat angle, so mine fits like a 59-60cm with a 58cm tt, 8cm drop, 44cm stays, and angles of about 72d sta and 72.5hta. I've been using 35c Panaracer tires, fat ones, and the ride is smooth, fun, and delightful on pavement or rough roads. Part of today's makeover was to install these really nice ---as nice or nicer that SKS---Planet Bike fenders. These came with a sort of mini-mud-flap built into both the front and rear. Useful and good looking, I even got the 38c Panaracer under with some room to spare. Sure, aluminum or stainless steel fenders are the traditionalist's preference but these are really nice and, well, they came too with a mudflap! The hardware was solid and easy to install and the look came out close to right, though I'd need to make a bracket for the rear chainstay bridge mount to get the fender line just so. I may let this one slide.

Good product these Planet Bike fenders, much to be commended. I will try to post picture of the bike. I'm pretty sure there are none yet posted anywhere (and of course none with the new fenders). It's like a sort of excessive Atlantis: JB paint, custom Riv build, but really a trails and wet bike for all seasons.

dbrk

Climb01742
12-24-2004, 09:23 PM
douglas, when you can, please do post some pix...you've got my curiousity piqued.

coylifut
12-25-2004, 01:05 AM
those are quite popular in these parts, mostly because the broader widths can be found easier than the sks. They're known for being quite durable. Rain bikes in the PNW really take on character. People around here strive to build the most utilitarian rain rig possible. It's a badge of courage to ride a heavy with fat-thick tires and full fenders with long flaps. In stead of folks comparing light weight Gucci gear, they're comparing how durable one set-up is over another.