PDA

View Full Version : Off-topic threads no longer allowed?

fiamme red
04-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Just askin'.

If there's been a change in Serotta Forum policy, I think that the moderators should mention it.

csm
04-20-2009, 12:31 PM
maybe they just get locked automatically. keeps us in line.

97CSI
04-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Yes.......was a bit surprised to see the immediate lock-down on your u-tube thread. Seemed harmless enough to me.

Pete Serotta
04-20-2009, 12:42 PM
It is me and after last week, I am a little gun shy.... Had plenty of meetings last week and I have a difficult time answering some of the questions I got.

If I am correct, and there have been more than a few times where I have not, the you tube post was just an announcement about their profits. There was nothing else....

Then someone will ask why the Car Lock thread was not closed....my warped logic was it included more...

This is a very slippery slope and I am running in a trial and error mode currently trying to find the best mix.

We started by saying CYCLING and CYCLING RELATED info but there are lots of folks with lots of experience out there that are sharing and educating many of us,, As well as medical questions, investment questions, etx....

Others have said (why do we not have an OT sections?). There are only a few of us volunteers monitoring for "things". To have to monitor another section - which would have even more OT, for that would be the reason for having the section, would put us in overload.

The closings are not meant to point to a specific user. fiamme red did nothing wrong, ( I did by not adhering to the original rules.).

dekindy
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Be careful. Off-topic threads are sacred here. I took grief for days after daring to suggest that I come here to just discuss bike related topics. Now I just go with the flow.

csm
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
gun shy? it's a (mostly) anonymous forum for, um, Pete's sake! most of the inflammatory posts would have been better off left to die. I can not figure out why folks done opt to simply not read the posts or threads that may offend them. we've got to quit taking ourselves so seriously. I enjoy reading most of the ot posts; and even the catfights that occasionally break out.

Pete Serotta
04-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Be careful. Off-topic threads are sacred here. I took grief for days after daring to suggest that I come here to just discuss bike related topics. Now I just go with the flow.

Yes, I could be shooting myself in the foot....I am open to moderation also....

Please feel free to,,,,What we will not do is open an OT section for we do not have enough arms and legs....

All I ask folks to do is think why they are posting and the message, information, or input they are looking for or giving.

BOA posted profits today - but so what? market is down 250 points :confused: :confused:

PETE

paczki
04-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Yes, I could be shooting myself in the foot....I am open to moderation also....

Please feel free to,,,,What we will not do is open an OT section for we do not have enough arms and legs....

All I ask folks to do is think why they are posting and the message, information, or input they are looking for or giving.

BOA posted profits today - but so what? market is down 250 points :confused: :confused:

PETE

Pete,

When I think about the sleep you've probably lost over this free service you perform, especially in the last few weeks, it makes me a bit sad.

I'm just grateful that you still do this and that Ben Serotta continues to back the forum. :) :banana: :banana: :banana:

I agree that it might be best not to be too gun shy with OTs. I think with a notable recent exceptions, things have been calm and respectful on the board. I've learned a lot from the OTs, in particular the financial ones.

Aaron

Pete Serotta
04-20-2009, 12:57 PM
I will "unclose" what I should have done is posted a note instead of closing. Sorry Mr. RED////

Red is on me Fianne when we cross paths. PETE