PDA

View Full Version : the spirit of this forum

Climb01742
12-23-2004, 09:13 AM
we can get cranky with each other sometimes. but over the past two days i was lucky enough to experience what i think is the true spirit of this forum:

i've been trying to figure out how to replicate my position on a stock frame i'm thinking about getting. i'm not the sharpest tool in the cycling shed...when out of the blue Too Tall pm'ed me and said hey, maybe i can help. i gave him my fit/position numbers and he's been graciously using a software program he has to help me. i'm sure Too Tall is very busy at this time of year, as everyone is. but his generousity of spirit and time is, i think, typical of many folks here.

on an individual basis, i'd like to thank Too Tall for sharing so freely of his knowledge and time. on a broader basis, i'd like to thank many, many others here who have, over the months, shared their knowledge, experience, time and insights so freely and generously.

while we can be a cantankerous, contentious group at times, far more often you're all amazingly good folks. i'm really happy to be a player in our little sandbox here.

PS: offline, you'd be surprised how un-jerk-like the jerk really is!

dbrk
12-23-2004, 09:34 AM
I grew up in a New Jersey immigrant home done good, meaning that my poorer than dirt family right off the boat made a middle class life. That family has two very, very different sides. The WASPy or Scots side has a certain dignity and properness but is amazingly contracted, incapable of expressing an emotion until the moment of death (and then never at the subsequent funeral). The other side is Italian somewhere between the Corleones (not enough opera in our family) and the Sopranos (too much Badabing for our tastes) but without the violence unto death. The Scots side is mostly dead or estranged; the Italian side is mostly the same but occasionally rises up to scream across the dinner table (never at strangers).

My point: like a healthy family this Forum has arguments, it shouts, occasionally gets insulted, affronted, and takes things hard. I personally would hate it here if we were only like the Waspy polite side of the family and not like the insanely opinionated you-talkin'-to-me? who'd-think-that? side of the family. It's good to be something of both, as I see it: restrained enough to sustain a little dignity and irenic disposition and hot blooded enough to be reminded that a pulse is a good thing to have.

I think of Climb like a brother, only better 'cause I have more contact with Climb than I have with my brother. Still, if I could have brothers and sisters of choice (what a thought...), I'd pick folks a lot like this bunch'a bananas (and the iBOBs, CRs, and Salukis). Thanks for being here. I'm honestly very grateful for all of you. For all the hubbub this week there was a moment when Boston Drunk, the jerk, and I all agreed at once. Further proof that anything is possible. I'm going to play with the dog now so that I can procrastinate even more over my work. Back later.

dbrk

SoCalSteve
12-23-2004, 09:52 AM
I too experienced the wonder of this forum when everyone was telling me about their favorite saddles and, out of the blue, Chief sends me a SSM Rolls, totally gratis, with a little sticky note attached to the top of the saddle, wishing me a Happy Holiday.

I dont know Chief, never as much as sent him an email or a PM before.

And, when I had the "bike rack" situation and needed the help of an attorney, Tom Byrnes stepped to the plate and graciuosly gave of his time to help a fellow cyclist.

This is the spirit of the board!

As always, thanks to everyone here for making this such a great place to visit. I am proud to be a part of this board and happy that it exists for all cyclists, Serotta owners and not.

Happy Holidays,

Steve

coylifut
12-23-2004, 09:58 AM
I'd like to see a little more decorum in just one area. It seems like some of our cycling brothers who don't ride bikes we find astheticaly pleasing are attacked and called posers in a back handed way. It's not blatant, but a collective low drum beat. Some of our friends here are age 60+ and riding 5k+ miles a year. I think they deserve a standing ovation, not ridicule for buying a race bike to be riden in the rando position. In 25 years, I hope to be just like em. If it takes a riser stem and spacers to get it done, so be it.

So why am I bringing up this one issue? Because it really sticks in my craw. Ok, rant over, I've calmed down. I'm going out for a 4 hour ride through the "Dutch" farm country as it's called here.

93legendti
12-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Happy Holidays from one of the cranky forumites!:)

Sandy
12-23-2004, 11:11 AM
It's too late! It's just too late!!

I cut my Ottrott ST into hundreds of little parts, with my heavy duty Serotta lugged chain saw, embarrassed by how both I and my bike looked. Then I ordered a "real race bike", with a 20cm stem for emphasis. I had dbrk stretch me so that I could somehow fit on my bike (no spacers, no head tube extension, no exposed seat post, no saddle (to show how really tough I am), and I have been riding it, somewhat in pain (actually a lot in pain), with a 16 cm saddle to bar drop.

The emergency rescue team is trying to pry me off of the bike and I have been scheduled for both orthopedic and rectal surgery.

It's a little too late for me. So, now, you all want to be friends.

Anyone want to buy about 400-500 parts from a former Ottrottt? You can put it back together in any form that will please you, or someone.

Life is tough!!

Riding a race bike is tougher!!

Bent like a pretzel into a figure S,

S S S S Sandy

Spinner
12-23-2004, 11:22 AM
On the original forum, my pseudonym was Spinner. When the new forum came online, I was beaten out for the Spinner handle and subsequently called myself Headset, the bicyclist formerly known as Spinner.

After reading mis-references about Spinner's attendance at this year's TdFL (I was there, not the new Spinner), the newly named Spinner decided to relinquish the handle to me, Headset, provided that I wanted it. The second Spinner thus became Old Dog, and in the process a new web pal of mine.

Therefore, I'm once again Spinner, a mostly lurking yet always amused and appreciative member of this forum.

Great joy and blessings to all forum members for the best riding year ever in 2005. I look forward to meeting more of your personally.

Ciao!

Spinner, the bicyclist formerly known as Headset.

William
12-23-2004, 11:31 AM
There are a number of amazingly knowledgeable, friendly, humorous, and giving people on this forum. I have experienced peoples generosity first hand. When asking about used parts to buy to set up my fixie and my rain bike, I had three separate people offer to equip me at no charge. Because of their generosity, I have returned the favor to others when I can help...pay it forward. This forum truly is filled with a lot of amazing people. A true oasis in the vast sprawl of the internet. :cool:

You're a great bunch and I hope you all have the best during the Holidays. :) :beer:

William :)

To the collective whole of you:

I LOVE YOU MAN!!! :D

William
12-23-2004, 11:57 AM
And AR, you are the man! They broke the mold when they made you! :cool:

Merry Christmas my friend! :beer:

William

shinomaster
12-23-2004, 12:23 PM
This must be a great place otherwise I wouldn't waste so much of my precious time here..and I don't make fun of Ottrott owners any more either! Ha ha..

Merry Christmas Charlie Brown!

Len J
12-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Climb:

I agree. The "average" of this group is better than any other forum group I've associated with. Yes, we have a few that bring down the average, but we also have many more that raise it.

To all, hope you have a meaningful holiday....for you.

Len

Bill Bove
12-23-2004, 06:46 PM
To the collective whole of you:

I LOVE YOU MAN!!! :D[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I love you too man but ya ain't gettin my Bud Light :argue: :beer: