PDA

View Full Version : Things I wanted for...and didnt' get

dbrk
12-23-2004, 09:10 AM
I'm the sort who thinks of Christmas and this season of giving as largely a children's time, one better for the fantasy and the color than for adults, but I have said this before. Still, as a confirmed Lover of the Good Stuff, I know what I like that I don't have. So for fun (because I still have a small pile of papers yet to grade that MUST be finished today without fail...to describe the enervation, ennui, and mysterium tedium tremendum this evokes is difficult, but always an excuse to procrastinate...) a list of three things that I wish I got that I didn't. Wanna play this game? At least one of these has to be cycling related and they should be things, not a date with some movie star or whirled peas or your lovely spouse's smile or other things Really Valuable, no, just plain stuff, things that you lose in a fire and say, oh well even if they are rare they are just things, okay? Aw heck, do what you like.

1. Ottrott ST. Given the recent thread we all know that this must be my first choice...
2. Lobscouse and Spotted Dog: Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels (Patrick O'Brian). This book describes the things that His Majesty's Navy actually liked to eat. It's hard to imagine some of these things as eatable by anything but spotted dogs (with mange) but when you realize that a captain's dinner routinely went through a _case_ of wine, Port, and Madeira, you realize that almost anything would taste good, even a Boiled Baby (not _that_ sort of baby...)
3. Duluth Pack's winter anorak, which looks like a big white tent, this being perpetually out of stock and likely not all that useful but very, very cool: heavy canvas, sort of a tent for humans.

Three favorite websites, presuming that this and the Serotta homepage are All That. No competing bike companies but it might include a shop and at least one thing bicycle:
1. Jitensha Studio (www.jitenshastudio.com), for all things that make the Japanese do things Europeans do, only better and more obsessively. There are a zillion Japanese webpages of Toei and other bikes worth finding and someone ought to invent a browser that really does translate these properly.
2. Frost River (frostriver.com). Duluth Pack's estranged cousin Dupree or some other relation but I love this stuff, especially the Neesmuk pack.
3. Aurora Shoe Company (aurorashoes.com). Made around the corner from me (about 1.5 hours is around the block around here...). I have a lifetime supply now, the only shoes I will wear if given a choice, cured my sore foot, they last about six years if you beat the living crap out of them every single day...I'm almost 50 years old so...I bought five pairs hoping for a long life and by the time I'm 80 I doubt I will care if I am even wearing shoes.

Three favorite cycling things I still use:
1. Reynolds leather cycling shoes. Not _that_ Reynolds but this cobbler in England. Some things are both functional and beautiful beyond all comparison. These are this thing.
2. Maxicar hubs. The perfect thing made in France and since it's French it has the added bonus of annoying people who don't like them.
3. WoolyWarm undershirts of the thinnest, most comfy, merino NZ wool. Makes you wanna drink Woolite like a drunken saior (and eat a Boiled Baby...not _that_ kinda' baby, see above...)

Okay, enough but this was just for fun.

dbrk

Ray
12-23-2004, 09:23 AM
I want the top tube from the track bike that shows up in ALL of these pictures. It's been places I can only dream about...

http://www.fyxomatosis.com/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_thumbs;p=Ciao!

-Ray

Climb01742
12-23-2004, 09:25 AM
gifts i wish were gonna be under my tree...

1. a pair of cycling shoes that really, really fit my odd feet.
2. a swank leather jacket, black, of leather so soft, baby's butts would be jealous
3. metallic black 2005 911 C4S (which they don't make yet but will sometime soon)
4. a day spent in dario pegoretti's shop and an evening spent over food and wine
5. the will and the skill to climb mt washington fast
6. an ottrott that would compensate for my shortcomings of will and skill on mt washington :p

Len J
12-23-2004, 09:47 AM
Thigs I wanted but didn't get this year:

1.) A Richard Sachs....ordered it but the wait is killing me.

2.) A custom Fixie. I currently have a Gunnar street dog....maybe upgrade someday.

3.) A lasik procedure that would work on my terrible eyesight. Nearsighted in one eye, farsighted in the other.....major stigmatism in both. Eye Doc's just look at me and shake their head when i tell them I want to go correction free. Standard quote is..." There are maybe 2 guys in the world who Might have a 50/50 chance on their best day of being able to correct your vision. No margin of error....I'd wait until the technology gets better." Sigh.

Things I got this year that I'm grateful for:

1.) Ottrott ST off of the website blind auction. Price that I could get my mind around. Fit that is perfect for me. And a ride that gets better & better.

2.) Porsche Boxster S. I have wanted a Porsche since I was 22 or so. My kids joke that the third word they learned (after Mom & Dad) was Porsche. I swore that when my kids college was taken care of I'd treat myself. This was the year. Carmen Red with tan leather......264 HP and handles like nothing I've ever ridden. After 10 months & 9,500 miles, it still puts a smile on my face. What a kick to drive. Nothing beats the feeling, after being out of town for a week of getting in that car at the airport and driving it home.

3.) Brooks Swallow. Finally butt nirvana. The search was long, but successful. And it looks good too.

Happy holidays.

len

slowgoing
12-23-2004, 09:49 AM
I want more free time.

Climb01742
12-23-2004, 10:03 AM
2.) Porsche Boxster S. I have wanted a Porsche since I was 22 or so. My kids joke that the third word they learned (after Mom & Dad) was Porsche. I swore that when my kids college was taken care of I'd treat myself. This was the year. Carmen Red with tan leather......264 HP and handles like nothing I've ever ridden. After 10 months & 9,500 miles, it still puts a smile on my face. What a kick to drive. Nothing beats the feeling, after being out of town for a week of getting in that car at the airport and driving it home.

len, please please don't park a porsche at the airport...one trip you'll come home and either it'll be gone or it'll have a huge door-ding in it...come one, say it with me...car service to the airport...car service to the airport... :D :beer:

sspielman
12-23-2004, 10:07 AM
1) some Dugast tubulars.....Before the old man gives it up, I still feel the need to have a taste of the holy grail. (I am skeptical that they can be any better than Veloflexes)

2) A couple pairs of Briko Stinger glasses...Remember the ones that made you look like a hornet? Specifically designed for cycling and without peer, in my humble opinion.

3) a Var "atomic" wheel truing stand....just a classy old piece of equipment that I know would see me through to my final days of wheelbuilding....

TimD
12-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Climb, I might take you up on that, 'cept I don't think my wife and my kids and their stuff will fit in the targa with you, me, and my golf clubs.

Ya think they could suffer through on Logan Express??? :)

TimD

rePhil
12-23-2004, 10:12 AM
I want more free time.

Be careful for what you wish for:) I once wished for the same and the next thing I knew the best and most fun job I could have ever have for came to an unexpected end.
Along with a significant drop in income (my choice) came more time to ride and more importantly more family time.While I sometimes miss my former life I am comfortable with the tradeoff.
A long time ago a friend gave me a bookmark that says"The most important things in life aren't things"

Ken Robb
12-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Ray: "it's been places I can only dream about"???? C'mon it looks like San Francisco to me. Buy a Ticket.

Ray
12-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Ray: "it's been places I can only dream about"???? C'mon it looks like San Francisco to me. Buy a Ticket.

Nope. Vancouver. Been There, Done That. Well, Been There anyway...

shinomaster
12-23-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm still hoping that either Heather Grahm or Umma Thurman jumps out of my stocking this year.. :banana: :banana:

davids
12-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Is there a smiley for that hand motion we used to do as teenagers, swooshing a flat palm over the top of one's head, while saying "whoosh!"?

I think you missed Ray's point, Ken. ;)

flydhest
12-23-2004, 01:51 PM
davids,

at first, I thought you were describing a different hand gesture, given the pictures.

davids
12-23-2004, 01:53 PM
davids,

at first, I thought you were describing a different hand gesture, given the pictures.
Fly,

Stop! You're making me blush...

Len J
12-23-2004, 04:14 PM
I can't afford it.

Len

PS. I do worry about it but the alternative stinks.

Kevin
12-23-2004, 05:25 PM
I agree with you Len, never be a slave to your possessions. If you have to worry about what is going to happen to your "stuff", you should have purchased cheaper "stuff". Leave the Boxster in the same places you would leave the Ford Pinto. Otherwise you are going to miss the fun of driving it.

Have a Happy Holiday.

Kevin

David Kirk
12-23-2004, 06:10 PM
I'm a very lucky man and I own a fairly rare car. I don't drive it in the winter but in the summer it gets used as a daily driver and raced in autocross events often. It is not extremely valuable but it is one of less than 50 in North America and irreplaceable. I love it and have never had so much fun with a chunk of metal before.

It's a 1966 Lotus Cortina.

Dave

Ken Robb
12-23-2004, 06:12 PM
1600 cc of fun--sure is hunkered down ain't she? Nice wheels. Kumhos?

Ken Robb
12-23-2004, 06:16 PM
I just knew my dry wit would be too subtle for some Dave. :bike:

David Kirk
12-23-2004, 06:24 PM
Yep it's a 1.6L, twin over head cam, with dual Webers. It puts out about 130hp and the car only weighs about 1900lbs so it goes pretty well.

Interestingly....it's at the stock ride height that it came out of the factory with in 1966. I'm always asked how much I lowered it. I tell them Chapman did it.

It's got Sumitomos ( 195/60-13 ) for the street and Goodyear Eagle race slicks ( 20x7x13) for autocross. This is one of the best handling cars I've ever driven. Fully streetable and with the shocks dialed up a few notches it kicks *** on the track.

Have I mentioned that I love this car?

I'm hoping that I can afford a used Elise in a few years. I just hope I can fit my circus freak body in one.

Dave

dirtdigger88
12-23-2004, 06:27 PM
nice ride Dave!!!! I want to see you behind the wheel of that- how do you fit?

Jason

shaq-d
12-23-2004, 06:38 PM
This is one of the best handling cars I've ever driven. Fully streetable and with the shocks dialed up a few notches it kicks *** on the track.
I'm hoping that I can afford a used Elise in a few years. I just hope I can fit my circus freak body in one.

cool car...i've had my eye on the elise too, but not sure if it's legal here in canada..lol.

sd

Ti Designs
12-23-2004, 06:55 PM
Here's my list (just to get this thing back on topic)

1) I want it to be 1966 again (the last time my real age and mental age were the same)

2) I want a Lotus dealer right around the corner from me.

3) gonna need a bike, what I have now for a road bike isn't gonna exist for another 20 years...

I gotta agree about the not being a slave to your posessions bit, but I think I've found a good solution. I have an autocross car, it's almost street legal, doesn't much like Boston roads, and likes gas somewhere in the 96+ octane range (high compression turbo). I also have the same car in a bone stock version which isn't as fun but it's reliable and it has a passenger seat.

Ahneida Ride
12-23-2004, 07:03 PM
1.) Attending Serotta Reunion Missed it !!!
2.) Attending TdFL Missed it !!!
3.) Decent weather for William's demo. Rained !!!!
4.) More riding last summer ( no excuse !!!!! )

I owe the guys and gals of this forum a lot !!!!

eddief
12-23-2004, 08:03 PM
1. I love group bike rides that start at the Rancho Nicasio in Marin County. The Rancho is a restaurant, pub, and music venue in my favorite little, barely occupied area of Marin. Many rides start here and go to some of the most beautiful places in N. CA. On a sunny summer day, seems like every rider in world comes out of the wood work. A nice place to come back to after riding cause the Rancho has Lagunitas IPA on tap.

2. The new Rambouillet. I know I'm suffering from the placebo effect. But I am enjoying the living daylights out of this new build. First real bike with a threaded steel fork. I think it really does have a different/better? feel than carbon forked bikes, and I'm glad to be able to enjoy it.

3. 1993 V6 Camry. A great autocross...just kidding, but this has been the most killer reliable motored vehicle in my life.

4. Andrew Muzi and yellow jersey. I have never met him in person, but somehow his connection to cycling, his incredible willingness to answer email, and his customized Sugino compact doubles. Fanatical about customer service. All this makes me want to show up in Madison Wisconsin and take him to lunch. I have the feeling that shop must be the quint essential bike shop of a sort. I wonder if he and Sheldon know each other?

5. BART - Yea bay area rapid transit - it works well, remarkably on time and so often keeps me out the sh*t on the roads in the bay area.

6. Smart Wool lightweight long sleeve t's. Comfy, not smelly, the best winter first layer I have found.

7. Jannd Mt Wedge II seat pack - perfect - for MY stuff.

Think I want a 650b bike, but Santa would just have to show up with one and surprise me.

jerk
12-23-2004, 08:15 PM
what didn't the jerk get that the jerk wanted? hmm.....the jerk got most of what he wanted with one notable exception....oh where oh where is the jerk's big leg emma... last the jerk heard dario was thinking about having it painted or something.....the jerk did get his c50 though.....and yes, the wife's luigino is on the way. sometimes the right people just make it worth one's while. (dbrk, can mrs. jerk have a crank just like you have on your wonderful leganoretti? do you have one the jerk can trade something for? do you know where the jerk can get one?)

jerk

jerk
12-23-2004, 08:19 PM
I'm a very lucky man and I own a fairly rare car. I don't drive it in the winter but in the summer it gets used as a daily driver and raced in autocross events often. It is not extremely valuable but it is one of less than 50 in North America and irreplaceable. I love it and have never had so much fun with a chunk of metal before.

It's a 1966 Lotus Cortina.

Dave

the jerk knew a woman who traded in her first year mustang for a ford cortina. she said it was the biggest mistake of her adult life. in general english+ford=very very bad. it was all the lotus cortina's fault that she did this....see that is a good car....a regular ford cortina is by all estimates a perfectly awful car.
jerk

dbrk
12-23-2004, 09:17 PM
what didn't the jerk get that the jerk wanted? hmm.....the jerk got most of what he wanted with one notable exception....oh where oh where is the jerk's big leg emma... last the jerk heard dario was thinking about having it painted or something.....the jerk did get his c50 though.....and yes, the wife's luigino is on the way. sometimes the right people just make it worth one's while. (dbrk, can mrs. jerk have a crank just like you have on your wonderful leganoretti? do you have one the jerk can trade something for? do you know where the jerk can get one?)

jerk

today dbrk got an email from mr. muzi/yellow jersey that word has it his very own Nagasawa is "next" and "soon" (their words, not mine). this would be quite the new year's present, as it were. senor, check you email about the TA ProVis5 with Etoile, 'cause that's what you're looking for. may emma's formidable legs be yours soon to caress.

dbrk
writes only rarely in the third person in honor of his pal...