PDA

View Full Version : Which Fizik Arione?

ty-ro
04-19-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm sorry, that's fi'zi:k. :rolleyes:

I rode a rental in Hawaii that had a Fizik Arione saddle. I'm pretty sure it was the "Arione Wingflex", which is the lowest model in the line.

Will the other saddles up the range feel the same? I don't know if it is just me but I have a tough time making sense of all the different monikers they give to all of the features of their saddles.

Anyone ever crack the code of their naming conventions? :confused:

PoppaWheelie
04-20-2009, 12:14 AM
The less expensive one has a slotted plastic under-carraige...the CX models have a carbon-weave reinforced under-carraige. The CX versions therefore will last longer before they sag, but are also firmer. I also find the CX models to be a little flatter across the top. I have one with the carbon rails and I guess I might say that the metal rails absorb a bit more vibration...but I also might just be imagining that. For sure the CX models are more sensitive to tilt...without the sag you need to pay a bit more attendion to how you set it up, IMHO.

I know some folks who prefer the CX and some who like the cushiness of the cheaper one.

ty-ro
04-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Ok, sounds like I'll just have to try one myself. Isn't that the answer to all saddle related questions? ;) Bums is all unique. :butt: (<--used just for the bum)

Ken Robb
04-20-2009, 10:36 AM
I think the Wing-Flex models are designed so the slits allow the saddle to literally "break in" to your behind when the plastic around the slits fractures so the saddle deforms to fit you. Because of this it may not be a good idea to buy a used one. I suppose a 250lb. rider would be safe buying one from a 100lb. rider?

deechee
04-20-2009, 10:53 AM
hm.. I'm color biased.
I picked up the "cheaper" ti rails in red with a silver stripe down the middle a few years back and for some reason it isn't as comfortable as the two other black ones I've had.

I've also cracked the regular one (but Fizik replaced it) but if the CX stays flat longer I think I might try one (and replace that horrid red one I can't stand anymore). Can anyone else comment on the CX?

ahumblecycler
04-20-2009, 12:00 PM
I ride the team CX on all bikes now. I replaced my regular Arione. As mentioned above, the older black versions were (IMO) more comfortable. I cannot say why, but my arse sure liked them better.

The CX is flat to the edges, which then proceed to go straight down. But the wingflex works to keep it painless. I my nose at 3-degree down tilt, and I keep the saddle a bit more forward. I slide on the nose for serious in the drops cadence. and I move towards the back for climbing.

And ICS bag is the best ... no more velcro ruining my bib shorts.