PDA

View Full Version : Paint program question...

benb
04-19-2009, 06:08 PM
I am thinking I might send my bike back next winter for a refinish, I basically killed the decals, I haven't gone and stripped them, but they are at a point where they look kind of embarrassing.

Right now the bike is all polished Ti with red outline decals. Ideally I would like to keep as much of it bare Ti as possible.

The paint program throws up warnings about how if you choose Polished Ti/Matte Ti as your main color you must choose decals, but yet it will let you make some choices more like what I would like to consider.

I have attached an example of what I might consider.. is this possible or not? This example is Polished Ti, with an "Onyx" panel added on and then the logos painted onto that in "Simply White". I notice I could get something similar with the "Sprint" or "Half and Half" paint schemes, but it's unclear what is allowed.

Pete Serotta
04-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Yes you can get that. I have something similar on my ti BUT blue with silver decals.

If you have problems with getting this from your dealer send me a note Pete@serotta.com and we will work it out,

PETE

benb
04-19-2009, 09:45 PM
By Silver decals do you mean silver painted serotta logos?

The key is I want to replace the decals with paint.

Ben

Pete Serotta
04-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Ben, that cost $$s but I will insure you can get it done. Steve Fairchild has worked all kinds of "custom" for the customers.....

Look and see what painted decals cost on the paint program or ask your dealer. IF they do not have send me a note at pete@serotta.com

benb
04-20-2009, 02:00 PM
It can be decals as long as they get a clearcoat over them...

A layer of:

Solid paint panel
Decal on top of that
Clearcoat on top of that

Would work fine.

I just want a finish that can stand up to "bike cleaner safe for all finishes". The polished Ti is great but I never expected the decals to peel off if so much as one drop of sweat or salt fell on the bike.

I did see that later buried in the pile of docs I got with the bike there was some warning to only wash the bike with dish soap & pledge or something but that was a little ridiculous.

And besides.. the decals near the drive train are fine, those are the ones I have probably sprayed cleaner on the most.

The top tube decals are the worst, and they have barely ever seen any cleaner.

Pete Serotta
04-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Ben, we will do it whatever way you would like. Mine do have a clear coat where there is paint. Serotta does not put a clear coat over the ti. The decals on non painted ti are prone to wear.

You can get new ones to replace your old ones on your current bike.

Pete