PDA

View Full Version : Moots with Lightweights ?

jonjones13
04-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Hi,
Thinking of Moots compact Sl with Lightweight Ventoux's, just wondering if anyone has ridden this or similar and would like to comment on how they suit and ride etc

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Ray
04-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Hmmm. An awesome frame with a set of ridiculously awesome wheels....

No question. It would suck.

Kidding obviously and no similar experience. But if the frame fits and you can afford it, I can't see a possible downside.

-Ray

jbrainin
04-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Having ridden quite a bit on LW Ventoux on a carbon Serotta, I don't have direct experience of a combination similar to what you ask but I can say that the Ventoux will be a drastic improvement over most any wheelset you've ever had on the Moots. If you can afford a pair of Ventoux, get em. They are simply a great wheelset.

Climb01742
04-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Having ridden quite a bit on LW Ventoux on a carbon Serotta, I don't have direct experience of a combination similar to what you ask but I can say that the Ventoux will be a drastic improvement over most any wheelset you've ever had on the Moots. If you can afford a pair of Ventoux, get em. They are simply a great wheelset.

what do you like about the LWs? never ridden a pair but folks rave about them. thanks in advance.

Tobias
04-20-2009, 10:01 AM
what do you like about the LWs? :confused: At 950 grams they are the only UCI approved sub-1000 wheels. How much more do you need?

Seriously, they’ll save a rider about a pound – 454 grams at a cost of about $10 per gram -- compared to a nice set of standard wheels.

What's confusing about their marketing is that most nice bikes already meet UCI lower-weight limits, so using these wheels probably requires adding ballast to the bike. Also, for climbing weight matters more than inertia so having low-mass rims doesn’t do much if the bike weighs the same (per UCI requirement).

uno-speedo
04-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Sadly not mine. Looks rad though!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/26/40171131_d69ac6e3c0_o.jpg

Bob Ross
04-20-2009, 11:36 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/26/40171131_d69ac6e3c0_o.jpg

Oh jeesus, I just besmirched myself!

fmbp
04-20-2009, 05:46 PM
There's a guy on the roadbikereview forums that posted a picture in this thread:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=77396

of his Moots with Lightweights. It looks like he is a frequent poster, so you could try contacting him there.

I've just got DT Swiss RR 1.1/Chorus hubs on my Moots

uno-speedo
04-20-2009, 05:51 PM
There's a guy on the roadbikereview forums that posted a picture in this thread:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=77396

of his Moots with Lightweights. It looks like he is a frequent poster, so you could try contacting him there.

I think thats the same chap who posts on WW also.

jbrainin
04-20-2009, 07:45 PM
what do you like about the LWs? never ridden a pair but folks rave about them. thanks in advance.

What do I like about them? It's very hard for me to put that into words--I'd never make it as an equipment reviewer--but I'll try anyway. (Note: points not in order of importance.)

1. Lesser rotating mass compared to standard wheels. I like to climb and a wheelset that is as light as the Ventoux is very easy to accelerate.

2. True stiffness. I'd never really encountered a stiff wheel before I rode the Ventoux. Not only are they the stiffest wheels I've ever used, they are not the slightest bit harsh.

3. Ride quality. No other wheelset I've used has come close to the feel of the Ventoux. I don't know what to attribute it to, but these wheels simply do everything better. (Of course, given the cost, they'd better!)

The strangest thing I've found about them is that I seem to be able to descend faster with them, being able to catch/pass riders I could rarely keep close to on a descent when using other wheels. I can only guess that the lenticular shape of the spokes creates an aerodynamic advantage that results in faster descending.

RPS
04-21-2009, 09:02 AM
What's confusing about their marketing is that most nice bikes already meet UCI lower-weight limits, so using these wheels probably requires adding ballast to the bike. Also, for climbing weight matters more than inertia so having low-mass rims doesn’t do much if the bike weighs the same (per UCI requirement).When was the last time you noticed bikes being weighed at local races? :rolleyes:

Don’t get me wrong, I support a reasonable weight limit to ensure the podium can’t be bought. OTOH I also get why small riders may not think it’s fair to limit a bike to 15 pounds for a 120 pound rider the same as for a 160 pound rider. Somewhere between those two even a kilo of wheel mass is trivialized.

Jack Brunk
04-21-2009, 10:10 AM
I rode a Moots compact SL and a set of LW's and it was a great combo. I had the aero version not the Ventoux but I've ridden the Ventoux's enough to that they too would be terrific. I regret getting rid of the SL which was by far the nicest Ti frame I've owned.

Phat&SlowVelo
04-21-2009, 10:16 AM
I rode a Moots compact SL and a set of LW's and it was a great combo. I had the aero version not the Ventoux but I've ridden the Ventoux's enough to that they too would be terrific. I regret getting rid of the SL which was by far the nicest Ti frame I've owned.
Do you have a picture of your old SL?
Please post it?

Jack Brunk
04-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Do you have a picture of your old SL?
Please post it?
I'll check.

Climb01742
04-21-2009, 10:50 AM
jack, how do edge rims stack up against LWs? edge wheels are much more affordable. do they lose anything, ride-wise, to the LWs?

Jack Brunk
04-21-2009, 12:08 PM
jack, how do edge rims stack up against LWs? edge wheels are much more affordable. do they lose anything, ride-wise, to the LWs?
Good question James and I've had numerous discussions with the shop about custom wheels and where they fit in the market. I've been blown away by how good these rims/wheels have performed. They are every bit as good as a set of wheels costing maybe double or more. Rims are top quality, hubs are some of the best available and you can chose the best spokes made for barely north of 2k. I like the fact that if a spoke breaks it can be replaced easily. I think people will notice a huge increase in the performance of their bike with a new set of high performance wheels at this price point.

FlaRider
04-21-2009, 12:26 PM
If anyone is interested in a lightly used pair of tubular Lightweight Ventoux DT wheels (campy compatible) for a great price, please PM me. The wheels ride great. I am just more a clincher guy right now.

Satellite
04-22-2009, 02:26 AM
Jack,

You sold your SL Moots? When, where? OMG! I am still collecting Moots. Couldn't fathom selling a Moots. I would like to add some lightweights to mine though.

Satellite

Jack Brunk
04-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Jack,

You sold your SL Moots? When, where? OMG! I am still collecting Moots. Couldn't fathom selling a Moots. I would like to add some lightweights to mine though.

Satellite
I do regret selling that frame. It was a fantastic ride. Adding Lw's would make it ride that much better.

Serotta_Dave
04-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Quick comment. Had a set of Lightweight Standards on my 62 cm Legend last year and will have a set of Standards on the 62 cm Classique later this week for testing. We do a lot with the Zipp folks as well and have a very close working relationship with them. They do a great job so always trying different options to see how wheels change the ride of our bikes.

The Lightweights are the best in the ultra high end wheel market in my opinion. Different design criteria from others as they are meant to be ridden daily not just race day. Their clincher version of the Standard wheelset should be here momentarily. Assume the Moots will ride similarly to the Classique so assume you will love it with the Lightweights. Ventoux shallower, I had no problems with the Standards in cross winds. Jack Brunk has more miles on them and probably better feedback there but the wheels are worth it.

Serotta_Dave
04-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Jon: One other thought. Try a Classique Ti with Lightweights:) Then you will really have the ultimate combo.

Dave