PDA

View Full Version : Really Dumb question

dsimon
12-23-2004, 01:08 AM
Whats the difference between a serotta standard 55cm and a standard 56cm :crap: duh i know 1 cm besides that? im on a 55cm csi and was wondering if i would notice the difference on a 56cm? :fight:
happy holidays

bubba
12-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Whats the difference between a serotta standard 55cm and a standard 56cm :crap: duh i know 1 cm besides that? im on a 55cm csi and was wondering if i would notice the difference on a 56cm? :fight:
happy holidaysReally profound smarta$$ answer: Check the Serotta geometry charts. ;)

Dave
12-23-2004, 08:59 AM
I can't even find a stock geometry chart on the serotta web site.

When a larger size is selected, the head tube gets taller, so fewer spacers are required under the stem, the front-center usually gets a bit longer and the TT gets longer, so a different stem length may be required to produce the same reach. It all likelihood the two could be adjusted to fit exactly the same, but the larger frame would probably have a little less weight on the front.

All that said, I wouldn't pay that kind of money and not get a perfect fit.

Smiley
12-23-2004, 09:15 AM
The 55 cm ST had a 55.5 cm TT and the 56 cm ST had a 56 cm TT . All else was equal . The biggest difference for me was handle bar placement relative to the saddle drop using an Ahead stem with spacers . What stand over can you take ?

dirtdigger88
12-23-2004, 09:22 AM
does this help

jason

dbrk
12-23-2004, 09:42 AM
The 55 cm ST had a 55.5 cm TT and the 56 cm ST had a 56 cm TT . All else was equal . The biggest difference for me was handle bar placement relative to the saddle drop using an Ahead stem with spacers . What stand over can you take ?

Just as a point of reference: with a level top tube and an 8cm bb drop and wearing shoes about 99.9% of us can stand over our Saddle Height (top to center of the bb) minus 15cm. I don't know if anyone cares about this but if you wanna know how tall a bike can be before it touches, this is likely it.

Good going, dirt, on that geos chart.

dbrk

dirtdigger88
12-23-2004, 10:25 AM
douglas-

not that I would ever doubt you- but that saddle ht minus 15 cm doesnt sound right? Are you sure it is not saddle ht plus 15 cm? My saddle top to BB is is 31.5 inches/ 80.01 cm and my stand over is 33.46 inches/85 cm. To me this seems right. When I pedal I do not want me leg to go completely straight- I want a bit of knee bend at the bottom (right?) So it would go to figure that I can stand over a TT that is higher (because my leg will be straight) Im I just following you formula backwards? Or is it saddle ht from the ground to the top of the saddle? 15 cm is 5.9 inches- that would give you the old "fist full of seat post" rule of thumb

Always trying to learn
Jason

dsimon
12-23-2004, 11:24 AM
thanks dave i couldnt find a chart either thats whu i asked the question. thanks Dirt for the chart it helps a great deal it means a 56cm will be noo prob bob... :beer: thanks everyone happy holidays...ahhh fu@$k it merry christmas. i hate being political......... :beer:

dbrk
12-23-2004, 12:40 PM
douglas-

not that I would ever doubt you- but that saddle ht minus 15 cm doesnt sound right? Are you sure it is not saddle ht plus 15 cm? My saddle top to BB is is 31.5 inches/ 80.01 cm and my stand over is 33.46 inches/85 cm. To me this seems right. When I pedal I do not want me leg to go completely straight- I want a bit of knee bend at the bottom (right?) So it would go to figure that I can stand over a TT that is higher (because my leg will be straight) Im I just following you formula backwards? Or is it saddle ht from the ground to the top of the saddle? 15 cm is 5.9 inches- that would give you the old "fist full of seat post" rule of thumb

Always trying to learn
Jason

Sorry, I was unclear. You can stand over a _frame_ that is 15cm shorter than your saddle height, as a rule of thumb. Thus, my saddle height---a lofty 76.3cm even though I am a mere 5'9" and I still have plenty of bend in my knee--means that I can easily stand over a 60cm frame. So, as Rebour would have it in Le Petite Livre, it is PBH -25cm. I hope this is better.

dbrk

dirtdigger88
12-23-2004, 01:15 PM
got it- thanks

Jason

Serotta PETE
12-23-2004, 04:28 PM
happy holidays

The 3/8 of an inch difference (1CM), in the vast majority of cases, will not matter (since top tube length delta is only 3/32 of an inch. The assumption here is that the 55 is your ideal size.

That is just my opinion of what has worked for me in the past. Smiley is the final source for he is a great fitter!!! :)