PDA

View Full Version : Seatpost shim?

purplecu22
04-18-2009, 05:56 AM
Does the shim go above or below the seat post clamp?

bronk
04-18-2009, 07:03 AM
Someone save me. There must be something I don't understand about this question. The shim goes right AT the seatpost clamp -- above, it serves no purpose; below, it could slip off when you remove the post and you'll struggle to get it out.

TAW
04-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Most shims have a sleeve that goes down in the seat tube, and a lip that goes above the seatpost clamp to hold it in place.

Hope that helps.

bagochips3
04-18-2009, 09:33 AM
I have the Problem Solvers shim and it has a lip at one end. I assume all shims have a lip to keep them from sliding too far into the seat tube?

Here's what I did:

1. Take off seat post collar/clamp.
2. Generously lube the shim inside and out (my frame is aluminum, not sure if you would do this for carbon fiber).
3. Slide shim all the way in until the lip hits the top of the seat tube.
4. Line up the slot in shim that runs its length with slot at top of seat tube.
5. Replace seat post collar/clamp.

Hope that helps.

mike p
04-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Shims are fine when makeing larger jumps and using Problem Solvers shim or the like. It starts to get a little harder when making smaller adjustments like 27.0 to 27.2.

Mike

purplecu22
04-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Its the serotta shim that comes with the fierte frame. Should it go, frame-shim-seatpost clamp or frame-seatpost clamp then shim? I took it off and cant remember the correct order.

Alan
04-18-2009, 03:49 PM
This was in a a previous post.

Alan

Latest from Tech support at SEROTTA

Pete,
We have had several instances of this sleeve being used/inserted improperly. The proper use is the clamp goes on the bike first, the sleeve is then inserted in the bike over the clamp, then the post is inserted and
tightened down. Most cases of this slippage is due the sleeve being inserted under the clamp which does not allow the post to be sufficiently tightened. Try this first, then we may investigate a new sleeve. I doubt that anew clamp will solve the problem. I'm also sceptical of off brand posts being to spec as we know most posts are not
within mfg tolerances.

(this is why I suggested another posts.) Pete

if still having problems let me know..PETE