PDA

View Full Version : Panaracer Pasela

Birddog
04-17-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm shopping for some tires to use on and off pavement and thinking they will be off pavement on dirt roads about 20% of the time. The Pasela sounds like just the ticket and is the right price. Do Pasela's size run true, IOW is a 28 really a 28 or is it like Conti's where a 28 is really a 25. I already have the Gator Skins in a 28 and am looking for something just a smidge larger. I'm open to other suggestions too as long as they aren't too pricey. I can get the Pasela folders from Snackbar for about $22.50 ea on sale.

Birddog

goonster
04-17-2009, 10:40 AM
I believe they run pretty true to size now. A 28 Pasela will be bigger than a 28 Conti.

Paselas are much loved by me, and I'd buy them at twice the price.

gck
04-17-2009, 10:42 AM
In my experience, the Paselas as currently made run true-to-size. This wasn't the case in the past, but at some point (probably 2-3 years ago now?) Panaracer revamped their labeling so that 28s were really 28s and 32s were really 32s, etc.

They used to run small. I have an older set of 32s which are virtually identical to the newer 28s.

I mention this because sometimes the stock sold by Nashbar has been sitting around for a while, and I don't know whether the Paselas they're selling predate the labeling change.

FWIW...

Birddog
04-17-2009, 10:54 AM
I mention this because sometimes the stock sold by Nashbar has been sitting around for a while, and I don't know whether the Paselas they're selling predate the labeling change.

Thanks for the warning, I think these are newer because they are the "Tour Guard" model. Anybody know for sure?

Birddog

goonster
04-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the warning, I think these are newer because they are the "Tour Guard" model. Anybody know for sure?

Birddog

"Tour Guard" indicates a Kevlar belt. That designation existed before the resizing.

I wouldn't worry. The resizing was long enough ago, and I suspect Gnashbar has pretty good turnover on these. If you're still worried, buy through your LBS or order from Jenson.

cp43
04-17-2009, 12:31 PM
I have WTB Slickasaurus (http://www.wtb.com/products/tires/hybrid/slickasaurus/) tires in 700x28 on my commuter. Not too many miles on them yet, but so far so good. They aren't too expensive, don't remember the price though.

Chris

dwightskin
04-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Paselas are great tires, but they wouldn't be that great off-pavement.

They run true-to-size. Tour Guards are great and so are the regular ones (for $14 each on sale?)

Dwight

Kevan
04-17-2009, 02:32 PM
and work perfectly on packed dirt roads. True workhorses.

skijoring
04-17-2009, 02:45 PM
and work perfectly on packed dirt roads. True workhorses.

+1, I got about 3,500 miles out of a pair last year on paved/gravel/dirt roads. I did rotate them though and ran the nice one up front. Amazing tire for the price (non-Tourguard model).

palincss
04-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm shopping for some tires to use on and off pavement and thinking they will be off pavement on dirt roads about 20% of the time. The Pasela sounds like just the ticket and is the right price. Do Pasela's size run true, IOW is a 28 really a 28 or is it like Conti's where a 28 is really a 25.

Birddog

A few years ago, the old "raised rib" design was 1 size smaller than stated. I'm told by users the 35 and 37 (new design) are now true to stated size. The 32 is the same size as the Grand Bois 700x30. I think the 30s are a wee bit large and the Paselas a wee bit small.

palincss
04-17-2009, 03:00 PM

Birddog

There were Tour Guard (i.e., belted) Paselas in the old "raised rib" design too. You can tell new from old by looking at the tread. The new ones do not have a raised center rib.

GregL
04-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Be aware that Panaracer went through some QC issues on the Pasela Tourguards a few (3-4) years back. Their sidewalls were very fragile. I had several nearly new tires ruined by sidewall cuts that occurred on clean, paved roads. The past two seasons ('07-'08), they appear to have resolved the problems. I've been running Pasela Tourguard 700x28s on my tandem with no flats and good tread wear for the past year.

Regards,
Greg

Birddog
04-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks all, I snagged em for $20 a piece (foldable).

Birddog