PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Patents a Bottom Bracket Strain Gauge

bocarider
04-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Integrated Power Meter in an Upcoming Iteration of Dura Ace?

I spotted a post about this on the google wattage forum. Shimano recently patented a bottom bracket torque sensor (a strain gauge which is what drives Power Taps, SRMs, Quarks and used to drive Ergomos).

Relevant quotes from the patent summary:

Recently, bicycles have been provided with cycle computers to inform the rider of various traveling conditions of the bicycle.

Bicycles are sometimes equipped with a torque sensor (e.g., a torque-detecting device) for detecting torque acting on an axle.

One object of the present invention is to provide a cylindrical torsion-detecting sleeve member and a torque sensor wherein the range of torque detection can be varied in relation to the applied torque.

You can see the whole thing here:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7516677.html?query=PN%2F7516677+OR+7516677&stemming=on

Having your power meter integrated into the gruppo would be a nice feature.

ergott
04-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Having your power meter integrated into the gruppo would be a nice feature.

Mine already is. It's an SRM.

:D

bocarider
04-16-2009, 03:57 PM
and I am pretty happy with my powertap. I just thought it was interesting that Shimano may get into the powermeter business

ergott
04-16-2009, 06:00 PM
and I am pretty happy with my powertap. I just thought it was interesting that Shimano may get into the powermeter business

I hear you. I'm just busting.

Competition is good and I'm sure Shimano will get it right when they start selling one.

-