PDA

View Full Version : Economic Decision (neuvation)?

bkboom123
04-15-2009, 10:01 PM
I picked up the sport last year and have become obsessed, I am not really sure if that is a good thing or bad thing. Needless to say I have bought all the new parts needed to assemble a sweet bike except for the frame itself (Full ultegra, zipp stem and bars, slr seat, deda magic stick post, although i am still intrigued with SRAM......) I am looking to buy a frame this summer possibly around the $1,000 range and have run into a carbon model from neuvation. I have a set of their wheels which I am very pleased with but I have no idea what to expect with their carbon frame.

Has anyone been on their carbon frame that can leave me some feedback on it?

If not what are some other possibilities for framesets in this price range? should i go used from a forumite?

As always thanks for the help!

Brian

Joe Cyclist
04-15-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm not familiar with Neuvation frames, but I've heard good things about Velo Vie. I think PezTech has one.

The used bike market is soft and you can get a great deal, but if you're thinking used carbon, make sure you can inspect the frame first or buy from someone you trust.

It's interesting that you've already gotten the components before the frame. If you intend to use the stem, seat post and front derailleur you have, then you'll have to find a frame with a specific top tube length, seat tube diameter and front derailleur mount.

bkboom123
04-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Those components are on the "beginner aluminum frame" that i bought last year. I needed to get myself through the season without going crazy from those bottom of the line Shimano components that came with the complete bike.

Got some great online deals on the ultegra group and also got some good deals on demo parts at the serotta shop.....

Now I just gotta find a carbon frame or a complete bike with the economic sram rival :beer:

fierte_poser
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Cannondale CAAD 9 or Spooky Skeletor.

Either for ~$1,000.

Steve in SLO
04-15-2009, 10:59 PM
I live near Neuvation and have seen both the CF and ALU frames. They appear well-done and are at a good price point. The owner, John, has a history of careful selection of vendors and I would think the frames are no exception.

avalonracing
04-15-2009, 11:14 PM
If 1K is your current top end you should pick up a used frame from the forum right here. There are great deals to be found. I would suggest buying from one of the regulars.

false_Aest
04-16-2009, 05:02 AM
+2 on the Spooky.

$850 for dopeness that is a handmade AL frame from Westernish Mass.

+1 on forum frame.

I've used the Neuvation wheels and they're good... never the frames---both are ugly atmo.

I'm 90% sure my next frame will be a Spooky (or if I can rock the cash, a Speed Vagen.)

Alan
04-16-2009, 07:37 AM
You may want to ck out the Salsa frames. They have a few different models that look good and I like the geometry but I have not seen them.

See:

http://www.salsacycles.com/frames.html

Either the podio or the pistola would be good depending on whether you want aluminum or steel. Both track the Serotta Fierte geometry well for a very reasonable price and your lbs can get them easily.

Alan

thwart
04-16-2009, 07:57 AM
... and have become obsessed No one like that hangs out here... :rolleyes:

Such a problem to have. $1000 in your pocket, and you need a frame.

What sort of rider are you? If you're going racing then the carbon or aluminum suggestions above sound like very good advice.

On the other hand, if you're primarily a fast recreational rider, some of the used high end steel frames you'll see on this Forum are incredible bargains right now (Serotta CSI, Colorado III, CDA, Merckx Corsa or MXL, Strong, among several others...), and will likely hold their value much better.

This is not to suggest you can't race with a steel bike, but racing usually means you'll trade ride quality and beauty for small gains in the weight area.
IMHO.

fixednwinter
04-16-2009, 08:16 AM
This is not to suggest you can't race with a steel bike, but racing usually means you'll trade ride quality and beauty for small gains in the weight area.
IMHO.

This pretty much sums it up - great advice. I'm primarily a steel guy and don't hold a license so steel works for me. If you're over 150 lbs, Thwart's suggestion of a used Merckx MX Leader is great. Rides really well, and it's a desirable frame so it won't drop in value much.

If you do plan to race, carbon and aluminum are the way to go. I would suggest that if you plan to buy new, perhaps aluminum would get you better quality at the 1k price point. Cannondale CAAD9 and Salsa are good choices as mentioned above. The Cervelo S1 (Soloist Team) is OK, but the geometry really only works in the mid-range sizes. The very smallest sizes are awkward.