PDA

View Full Version : Can you say Stanley Cup Playoffs?

rwsaunders
04-15-2009, 06:46 PM
This will get you in the mood....the interview regarding the various types of penalties in Slapshot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY7_ovIIFHk

csm
04-15-2009, 06:53 PM
let's go Rangers, let's go.
I should be in DC watching game 1 between the caps and nyr but had too many other things going on today. probably gonna regret it.

johnnymossville
04-15-2009, 07:07 PM
ahhhh slapshot. I think I'm due for another viewing!

Marcusaurelius
04-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Reminds me a bit of Dave the Hammer Schultz. ..slapshot was a real classic.

konstantkarma
04-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Well. Here we go again........Go Wings!

dancinkozmo
04-16-2009, 08:20 AM
2009...year of the CANUCKnucleheads !

stormyClouds
04-16-2009, 09:08 AM
RW - you are killing me with the Oglethorpe pic! Nice work.
Btw, Christian Hanson (son of Slapshot's Dave Hanson) was a stud at Notre Dame and just signed with the Maple Leafs.
Always glad to see some hockey fans here.

zap
04-16-2009, 09:21 AM
let's go Rangers, let's go.
I should be in DC watching game 1 between the caps and nyr but had too many other things going on today. probably gonna regret it.

Rangers just might do it. Get past the caps into round two.

Caps defense is not so hot and the goalie is useless.

TAW
04-16-2009, 10:14 AM
2009...year of the CANUCKnucleheads !

As a St. Louis Blues fan, I have to say that Vancouver looked pretty sharp last night and really outplayed St. Louis more than the score indicated. Hard to beat Luongo.

rwsaunders
04-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Stormy.....Dave Hanson actually manages a rink in Pittsburgh and coaches. He was all over the local news recently when his kid scored his first NHL goal two weeks ago. Cool video from the local news last year....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf9v-nZegDk

Len J
04-16-2009, 11:25 AM
I always have mixed feelings about the NHL playoffs.

- On the one hand, too many teams make the playoffs so the early rounds are usually a waste of time.

- In addition, it's such a goalies league that a medicore team with a goalie standing on his head can roll through the playoffs. Team sports that rely on one guy so much are not attractive to me.

- OTOH........playoff overtime hockey is the best entertainment in sports.

Len

stormyClouds
04-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Brilliant link!
Thank you for that.

Stormy.....Dave Hanson actually manages a rink in Pittsburgh and coaches. He was all over the local news recently when his kid scored his first NHL goal two weeks ago. Cool video from the local news last year....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf9v-nZegDk

wc1934
04-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Let's go Bruins .....

93legendti
04-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Well. Here we go again........Go Wings!
Malts!

konstantkarma
04-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Malts!

Correct sir!

I took that pic off of the TV last year.

konstantkarma
04-16-2009, 02:21 PM
- In addition, it's such a goalies league that a medicore team with a goalie standing on his head can roll through the playoffs. Team sports that rely on one guy so much are not attractive to me. Len

Then you obviously haven't been watching the Red Wings win their last 2. Mediocre goalies, team D, and lots o' offense from lots o' players.

It's rarely a goalie that gets a team to the cup. It happens, but it is rare.

Len J
04-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Then you obviously haven't been watching the Red Wings win their last 2. Mediocre goalies, team D, and lots o' offense from lots o' players.

That's only because they didn't face a hot goaltender.

Len

csm
04-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Rangers just might do it. Get past the caps into round two.

Caps defense is not so hot and the goalie is useless.

Henrik looked good last nite. I really should have gone down. we'll see how things go Saturday tho.

93legendti
04-16-2009, 02:57 PM
The Wings probably shoot more than any other team. My guess is oppossing goalies average .930 or better against the Wings and still lose. Either Detroit's goalies have been hotter, or Detroit's talent and system let them win despite the hot goalies they face.

myette10
04-16-2009, 03:05 PM

This is a bold statement Karma that I feel I must qualify. A bad team with the hottest goalie in the league won't win the cup, but a mediocre or marginally competetive team with a hot goalie can easily steal a championship... even knock off a top seed.

As a fellow red wings fan you should remember at least a few of those over the past 20 years.

Len - the early rounds are the best... there's a game on every night, sometimes two in a row!

93legendti
04-16-2009, 03:13 PM
This is a bold statement Karma that I feel I must qualify. A bad team with the hottest goalie in the league won't win the cup, but a mediocre or marginally competetive team with a hot goalie can easily steal a championship... even knock off a top seed.

As a fellow red wings fan you should remember at least a few of those over the past 20 years.

Len - the early rounds are the best... there's a game on every night, sometimes two in a row!
Who are these hot goalies who stole championships in the last 20 years?

konstantkarma
04-16-2009, 03:31 PM
That's only because they didn't face a hot goaltender.

Len

4 times? "Hot" goaltenders tend to cool off when they get pounded with rubber from all directions.

TAW
04-16-2009, 03:40 PM

In my opinion, the Ducks Stanley Cup win was largely because of Jean Sebastian Giguere. Perhaps Pronger on defense was a help. ;)

konstantkarma
04-16-2009, 03:58 PM

Yeah. I'm with you on this one. I have seen hot goalies get average teams past better teams several times. This has happened to the Wings several times in recent memory. But I have a hard time thinking of a team that won it all as an average team with an outstanding netminder.

Maybe the 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks??? Giguere was amazing that year. And they had Pronger.

dookie
04-16-2009, 04:28 PM
http://hockeyjobs.nhl.com/teamwork/shared_TWO_resources/teamlogos/NHL/car38.gif

dancinkozmo
04-16-2009, 05:21 PM

06/07 Giguere Ducks
05/06 Ward 'Canes
94/95 Brodeur Devils
92/93 Roy Montreal
85/86 roy Mtl
70/71 Dryden Montreal

93legendti
04-16-2009, 11:20 PM
06/07 Giguere Ducks
05/06 Ward 'Canes
94/95 Brodeur Devils
92/93 Roy Montreal
85/86 roy Mtl
70/71 Dryden Montreal
And how did those teams do in the regular season?

1centaur
04-17-2009, 05:10 AM
The 71 and 93 Montreal teams were very good, 71 in particular and 93 that team as a whole got hot at the end of the season.

dancinkozmo
04-17-2009, 06:30 AM
The 71 and 93 Montreal teams were very good, 71 in particular and 93 that team as a whole got hot at the end of the season.

in 71 boston finished almost 30 POINTS ahead of montreal during the regular season, and they went down in 7 in the playoffs , one of the bigest upsets in stanley cup history...that boston team was one of the best ever assembled.

konstantkarma
04-17-2009, 09:10 AM
06/07 Giguere Ducks
05/06 Ward 'Canes
94/95 Brodeur Devils
92/93 Roy Montreal
85/86 roy Mtl
70/71 Dryden Montreal

Precisely! It is rare. 5 times we might agree upon in over 4 decades. Once every ten years? Who's turn is next?

BTW, Cam Ward had lots of help with a pretty talented and tough Hurricane team. They beat the heck out of their opponents.

myette10
04-17-2009, 09:50 AM
The list below is pretty complete as far as championships and hot goalies go. I was reminding Karma about the numerous times that the Red Wings were knocked out earlier than expected by a bad team with a hot goalie. Lots of those teams ended up doing nothing, except the Ducks a few years back.

dancinkozmo
04-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Precisely! It is rare. 5 times we might agree upon in over 4 decades. Once every ten years? Who's turn is next?

thats only 5 times that a particular team went all the way ...who knows how many times a hot goalie was responsible for a better team being eliminated. detroit was mentioned, I remember years back a young Curtis Joseph stood on his head and the blues beat the leafs in a quarter final where St. louis was completely outplayed...its not that rare, happens most years methinks.

good point about ward and the 'canes.

konstantkarma
04-17-2009, 11:54 AM
thats only 5 times that a particular team went all the way ...who knows how many times a hot goalie was responsible for a better team being eliminated. detroit was mentioned, I remember years back a young Curtis Joseph stood on his head and the blues beat the leafs in a quarter final where St. louis was completely outplayed...its not that rare, happens most years methinks.good point about ward and the 'canes.

Yep. That was the original theme of the winding thread in this post. That hot goalies rarely take a team all the way by themselves. They can certainly do a lot of damage....Cujo is one example, Khabibulin and Giguere are others in recent memory.

93legendti
04-17-2009, 12:01 PM

BTW, Cam Ward had lots of help with a pretty talented and tough Hurricane team. They beat the heck out of their opponents.
I agree. I'd like to know how many points those 5 teams amassed in the regular season. Are we talking about teams with 95 or more points going deep in the playoffs solely because of a "hot goalie"?

Len J
04-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Yep. That was the original theme of the winding thread in this post. That hot goalies rarely take a team all the way by themselves. They can certainly do a lot of damage....Cujo is one example, Khabibulin and Giguere are others in recent memory.

I was too general.

My point was, seemingly every year in the playoffs there is at least one and usually more than one team that gets carried way deeper in the playoffs by a hot goalie than othersise should.

Hassik did it in buffalo for years. Hextall took the flyers to the finals his rookie year against Edmonton with a very weak team. Hell, even the 2 years the Flyers won...it was mainly because of Parent. As a result, the finals and the semifinals are rarely the best teams.....that seems to happen more in hockey than other sports. IMO, that makes the whole thing less interesting. Obviously YMMV.

Len

stormyClouds
04-17-2009, 12:39 PM
I was too general.

My point was, seemingly every year in the playoffs there is at least one and usually more than one team that gets carried way deeper in the playoffs by a hot goalie than othersise should.

Hassik did it in buffalo for years. Hextall took the flyers to the finals his rookie year against Edmonton with a very weak team. Hell, even the 2 years the Flyers won...it was mainly because of Parent. As a result, the finals and the semifinals are rarely the best teams.....that seems to happen more in hockey than other sports. IMO, that makes the whole thing less interesting. Obviously YMMV.

Len

To me, that is part of the intrigue of playoff hockey.
The goalie is part of the team, no? Goaltending might be the strength for one team, just as a hot scoring line may be the strength of another.
I think it is as much fun to see a goalie stand on their head as it is to see a production line turning d inside out.
I don't think that I have seen too many average teams in the semis and finals. Perhaps teams that had average regular seasons may make it, but I think that your playoff 'season' is a whole different game and getting to the top in the playoffs has to be earned. That's what I like about playoff hockey.

vjp
04-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Who's turn is next?

Luongo :)

vjp

rbtmcardle
04-17-2009, 01:17 PM
I was too general.

Len

Agreed on the Hextall point, for me, the biggest heartbreak of Flyers hockey was Pelle Lindbergh, in the 84-85 season, he singlehandedly carried the team to the finals, and they were smoked in 5 games, but not because he failed them... still wonder how good he could have been.

konstantkarma
04-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Luongo :)

vjp

Yes! return the cup to CANADA.....but not at the expense of the American Original 6 Participants....except the Rangers....and the Blackhawks, .........and the Bruins :D !

bozman
04-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Agreed on the Hextall point, for me, the biggest heartbreak of Flyers hockey was Pelle Lindbergh, in the 84-85 season, he singlehandedly carried the team to the finals, and they were smoked in 5 games, but not because he failed them... still wonder how good he could have been.

Interesting. I grew up in South Jersey and was/am a Flyers fan. I have often wondered if the Flyers travails with goalies has something to do with Lindbergh's untimely death. Like karma.

rbtmcardle
04-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Interesting. I grew up in South Jersey and was/am a Flyers fan. I have often wondered if the Flyers travails with goalies has something to do with Lindbergh's untimely death. Like karma.

sure has been a struggle since his death

tonights game was heartbreaking, haven't been playing well lately, not enough intensity, they got manhandled by the pens.

vjp
04-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Yes! return the cup to CANADA.....but not at the expense of the American Original 6 Participants....except the Rangers....and the Blackhawks, .........and the Bruins :D !

SHUTOUT!!! :beer:

vjp

konstantkarma
04-18-2009, 08:34 AM
SHUTOUT!!! :beer:

vjp

He's looking very sharp so far. You have to admit that the Blues are pretty overmatched in most areas though.

Detroit-VC round 2?

TAW
04-18-2009, 09:15 AM
He's looking very sharp so far. You have to admit that the Blues are pretty overmatched in most areas though.

Detroit-VC round 2?

Yep, the Blues are a notch below in nearly every category. They're trying hard, just too much talent on Vancouver's team. Might even be a sweep.

vjp
04-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Yep, the Blues are a notch below in nearly every category. They're trying hard, just too much talent on Vancouver's team. Might even be a sweep.

I thought last nights game was actually pretty close. The Blues came out SO strong in the first and the momentum only really changed after Burrows got the second goal. I think that it will be a different story when the Blues are on home ice. Exciting for sure.

vjp

rwsaunders
04-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Next round for the Pens...

konstantkarma
04-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Next round for the Pens...

Finally!

What happened to Briere on the Flyers? He was amazing with the Sabers, last I saw him.

csm
04-26-2009, 10:20 AM
hoping the might NYR put an end to the Caps misery tonight at the Garden.
Maybe if Avery behaves, or misbehaves.

konstantkarma
04-28-2009, 08:34 PM
hoping the might NYR put an end to the Caps misery tonight at the Garden.
Maybe if Avery behaves, or misbehaves.

Ouch! Not gonna happen. Sergei Federov put the Rangers out of Avery's misery.

Sweet goal by Sergei. I could swear I've seen him make that shot 10 times as a Red Wing.

csm
04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
I was at the game last night. 4 min total in penalties? it was like watching a tea party. neither team should have won!

93legendti
05-01-2009, 06:35 PM
We have a hot one tonight....

stormyClouds
05-01-2009, 07:15 PM
We have a hot one tonight....
This will be a good series...

myette10
05-01-2009, 07:22 PM
The Ducks make me nervous like Colorado used to.

93legendti
05-01-2009, 07:28 PM
That's what makes it fun.

myette10
05-01-2009, 07:53 PM
That's what makes it fun.
true that.

Bruins look completely relaxed. I hope they go deep.

93legendti
05-01-2009, 08:34 PM
phew

konstantkarma
05-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Lidstrom for Mayor of Detroit!

The Ducks look a bit like the Dallas Stars team that won the cup.....throw the puck at the net, and everyone pile on.

myette10
05-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I guess the Ducks aren't quite the Avs from 10 years ago, but something about them makes me nervous... Their defense is solid.

Lidstom the best ever? I'd buy that. Orr, Robinson, Bourque... any of them that much better than Lidstrom?

The Bruins 2nd line is a first line with 75% of the rest of the NHL teams.

konstantkarma
05-02-2009, 11:09 AM
The Ducks are an over sized group up front. That translates into an big aggressive bunch of forwards that lack the depth in talent that the Avs enjoyed, and the Wings still have. As the series wears on, the Ducks will spend more time in the penalty box, and the Wings will take advantage. Hiller will remain stout in net, but the Wings will win in 6.

The Bruins are good, but inexperienced, and feasted on the dregs of the East this season.

I really want to see a Vancouver-Detroit Western final. Now that would be fast and exciting. :banana:

I guess the Ducks aren't quite the Avs from 10 years ago, but something about them makes me nervous... Their defense is solid.

Lidstom the best ever? I'd buy that. Orr, Robinson, Bourque... any of them that much better than Lidstrom?

The Bruins 2nd line is a first line with 75% of the rest of the NHL teams.

myette10
05-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I really want to see a Vancouver-Detroit Western final. Now that would be fast and exciting. :banana:
Agreed... that would be a good series. Two of the best uniforms in the league as well.

kipjac
05-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Malts!

Drapes! Huds! Mule! Nick! and on, and on...

Tom
05-02-2009, 07:31 PM
The Bruins are good, but inexperienced, and feasted on the dregs of the East this season.

I'm not sure about that. Their minor league affiliate ate up the AHL a few years back, much like the Adirondack Red Wings did in the glory years of Barry Melrose, et al. Thomas is not a guy rolling a hot streak and that big bastard that roams around the blue line didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

I'd like to see a Wings/Bruins final. It'd be difficult, I'd prefer neither team to lose and then...

I remember Wayne Cashman.

Go B's.

rwsaunders
05-08-2009, 09:01 PM
The Pens are back in the game....what's happening to the Bruins?

myette10
05-08-2009, 09:15 PM
The Pens are back in the game....what's happening to the Bruins?
wow... the bruins have looked like **** the last three games. Ward was great in game two but only had to be ordinary the last two games. they're flat footed and reaching rather than skating and as coach used to say that ain't no way to win hockey games.

The third period of the caps/pens was great - lots of up and down hockey.

zap
05-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Last nights caps/pens game was horrible. Hoping tonites game is better. I predict Pens in 6 but if gonch is out (any word?), that might be tough.

Watched the end of last nights bruins/cans game and enjoyed the pace of that one.

So Pens v Cans next round?

rwsaunders
05-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Last nights caps/pens game was horrible. Hoping tonites game is better. I predict Pens in 6 but if gonch is out (any word?), that might be tough.

Gonchar is out due to the knee-to-knee by Ovechkin. Unfortunately, expect to see nasty play tonight.

zap
05-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Caps could use Brashear. I believe his suspension is up after tonight so he should be back Monday night.

93legendti
05-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Go Wings!

The shots on goal in the series favors Detroit, 223-119. In the last game the Wings outhit the Ducks 35-18. Are the Ducks cooked?

konstantkarma
05-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Go Wings!

The shots on goal in the series favors Detroit, 223-119. In the last game the Wings outhit the Ducks 35-18. Are the Ducks cooked?

The Wings will keep rollin' 4 until Pronger drops from exhaustion. He was looking real slow at the end of reg last game. Unless Hiller stands on his head in Anaheim, this one's in the bag. It's gonna be physical game though. The big boys don't like to lose, and that's all they have left.

Wings v. Blackhawks? That'd be a original 4 freeway series! Bring back Bob Probert!

TMB
05-11-2009, 07:34 PM
I can't remember the last time I Actually watched or followed an NHL palyoff series.

I really just follow junior hockey, far more exciting and easier to get "involved" in the play and the outcome.

My boys here won their way into the Memorial Cup, played their hearts out on Satuurday and now have a date for the big prize starting Friday.

Most of the guys won't be back next year. Mikael Backlund goes to Calgary, Tyler Myers to BUffalo, Jamie Benn to Dallas, Colin Long to Phoenix ..... etc.

Great to see them graduate and move on and my interest in the NHL is fleeting, when I hear or see one of the boys we watched grow up.

All that said, I'd like to see the Blackhawks move on. I'm a fan of Duncan Keith and enjoy watching him play.

93legendti
05-11-2009, 07:47 PM
The Wings will keep rollin' 4 until Pronger drops from exhaustion. He was looking real slow at the end of reg last game. Unless Hiller stands on his head in Anaheim, this one's in the bag. It's gonna be physical game though. The big boys don't like to lose, and that's all they have left.

Wings v. Blackhawks? That'd be a original 4 freeway series! Bring back Bob Probert!
That would be a cool matchup.

Did you see Datsyuk's pass from behind the net? OVER the goal and goalie? Are you kidding me?!

Not bad for a team playing with out it's 2nd best defenseman and best faceoff man. :)
Here's an interesting take on what's left:

Anaheim must beat the Wings in Games 6 and 7 to win the series. Is it possible? Yes, of course. But the Wings have won 20 of their last 26 playoff games, going back to the middle of the first round last year. Of those six losses, five came by one goal. Two of the six went to triple overtime...Just as a historical note, Detroit hasn’t lost a Game 7 in Joe Louis Arena since the San Jose series in 1994.

konstantkarma
05-11-2009, 08:09 PM
I can't remember the last time I Actually watched or followed an NHL palyoff series.

I really just follow junior hockey, far more exciting and easier to get "involved" in the play and the outcome.

My boys here won their way into the Memorial Cup, played their hearts out on Satuurday and now have a date for the big prize starting Friday.

Most of the guys won't be back next year. Mikael Backlund goes to Calgary, Tyler Myers to BUffalo, Jamie Benn to Dallas, Colin Long to Phoenix ..... etc.

Great to see them graduate and move on and my interest in the NHL is fleeting, when I hear or see one of the boys we watched grow up.

All that said, I'd like to see the Blackhawks move on. I'm a fan of Duncan Keith and enjoy watching him play.

Hockey is fun to watch at any level!

konstantkarma
05-11-2009, 08:11 PM
That would be a cool matchup.

Did you see Datsyuk's pass from behind the net? OVER the goal and goalie? Are you kidding me?![/I]

I think I remember Stevie Y doing that once.

konstantkarma
05-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Back to D.C. for 7!! Go Caps! Go Sergei! Go Ovie!

TMB
05-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Well, the Blackhawks are going to the next series.

Fun crew to watch.

anyone here from the Buffalo area??

The Sabres inked a deal yesterday with Chris Myers, one of the blue liners from our Junior team.

Chris won the MVP award for the WHL season, and stands a mere 6' 8", before he puts his skates on. And he knows how to use his size.

He'll be a lot of fun to watch in future years.

Duncan Keith, currently of the Blackhawks played defence for Kelowna, and the last blue liner to win the WHL MVP award was our very own Shea Weber - he is a fun kid to watch play as well.

csm
05-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I think I'll be down in DC tomorrow for the game.

zap
05-12-2009, 04:43 PM
I think I'll be down in DC tomorrow for the game.

How are you getting tickets.

You have any extra to sell?

csm
05-12-2009, 08:25 PM
How are you getting tickets.

You have any extra to sell?
my brother works for the caps and gets 2 per game. and he gave them away already cuz I didn't call.
they'd better win so I can get to the next round. was at 7 in the nyr series.

93legendti
05-12-2009, 08:45 PM
I am looking forward to tonight's game...

zap
05-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Found tickets to purchase but am not going. Way too much work.

I'm pleasantly surprised the Caps won the other night. The Caps made the goalie switch after game 1 so that eliminated one concern I had about the Caps but the defense is still not very good.

The Caps D need to hit Crosby and Malkin hard so they become a little more careful swooping around and towards the net. Gonch might play tonite.

:beer:

csm
05-13-2009, 10:43 AM
how much were the tickets?
keeping Crosby under control will be key. and not amassing penalties would be nice too.

zap
05-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Best deal I found was $650 each, 200 level.

Don't like 400 but they were going for $150-250 ea.

csm
05-13-2009, 03:38 PM
yikes. last season and early to midseason his tix were down low. last game I went to (playoffs) we were up in the lower part of the rafters. still good tix. I spent a small fortune at Clyde's afterwards but the Rocket bar acrossed the street has PBR cans for $3.

rwsaunders
05-13-2009, 08:46 PM

csm
05-13-2009, 09:11 PM

yeah the caps sucked

konstantkarma
05-13-2009, 09:12 PM

Well, THAT was ugly. I heard that penguin tastes like chicken.

Here's to Sid and the gang :beer:

rwsaunders
05-13-2009, 09:24 PM
I must admit that I am a bit shocked. I was at a middle school band concert until 8:00 pm...I know...sainthood is in my future. When we came out and heard the score, it was unexpected, as the series had been so tight. Let's see what plays out tomorrow evening.

This is why fans follow the game....class statements like this...

When the game ended, Crosby and Ovechkin met at center ice for the customary post-series handshakes. They've traded hits on the ice and trash talk off it this season, yet both said the right things Wednesday.

``I just said, 'Great series.' There were a lot of eyes on the series,'' Crosby said. ``It was a battle for both teams. Individually, we both wanted to make sure we did a great job.''

And what did Ovechkin tell Crosby, his predecessor as league MVP?

``I just wished him good luck,'' Ovechkin said, ``and told him to win the Stanley Cup.''

93legendti
05-14-2009, 09:40 PM
That was an exciting series...

konstantkarma
05-14-2009, 10:51 PM
That was an exciting series...

''The series was 3-3, but in my opinion, we outplayed them in every game and their goalie stood on his head,'' Babcock said.

That about sums it up. Pronger got away with a few. If I was officiating the Ducks, I would place 1 ref on Pronger for the whole game. He's a hulking hack of a D-man. It is hard to belive the Ducks stayed out of the box as well as they did.

Bring on the Hawks. This should be good!

93legendti
05-14-2009, 11:11 PM
''The series was 3-3, but in my opinion, we outplayed them in every game and their goalie stood on his head,'' Babcock said.

That about sums it up. Pronger got away with a few. If I was officiating the Ducks, I would place 1 ref on Pronger for the whole game. He's a hulking hack of a D-man. It is hard to belive the Ducks stayed out of the box as well as they did.

Bring on the Hawks. This should be good!
I thought Ozzie was great. I wonder what his playoff record is....

Pronger is considered the dirtiest player in the league.

myette10
05-15-2009, 05:33 AM
The playoffs are destroying my 9:30 bedtime rule. Hiller shouldn't have complained about the winning goal... the ducks got a BS power play goal after the phantom goaltender interference call. A good series though.

Then watched the Bruins loose, and I'm still a bit shocked. Carolina played hard but the Bruins were all over them in the OT, and whenever a relatively low seed beats a strong number one seed I'm surprised. Looking back though, the team that played best through the series won.

A Bruins Wings final would have been nice.

dookie
05-15-2009, 07:40 AM
ahem... (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=661772&postcount=25)

jvp
05-15-2009, 08:01 AM
http://cache.boston.com/globe/2009/05/15/today.jpeg

From TWW, a ncsu student run site:

"haha the medley of headlines on that paper

Quote :
"-BRUINS KNOCKED OUT

-CELTICS PUSHED TO A 7TH GAME

-N.H. SET TO OK SAME-SEX MARRIAGE"

A TRIFECTA OF HORRORS"

konstantkarma
05-15-2009, 08:09 AM
I thought Ozzie was great. I wonder what his playoff record is....

Pronger is considered the dirtiest player in the league.

My animosity towards Pronger goes way back to 1997 when he was a young defenseman slashing his way through the Wings' forwards while playing for the St. Louis Blues. I remember Stevie Y hitting Pronger in the chest with a wicked slapper, watching Pronger turn white, then fall to the ice. I thought "my, God....Stevie Y just killed the terminator". Then, as all good cyborgs do, Pronger got up and continued playing the next game. That's when I knew he was not human!

BTW, the Wings won that series and lost in the semis to the Avalanche. [Duh! Wings won the cup that year......boy, I'm gettin' old :D ]

93legendti
05-15-2009, 09:08 AM
The Wings won the cup in '97.

konstantkarma
05-15-2009, 09:37 AM
The Wings won the cup in '97.
Ooops. My bad.

93legendti
05-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Ooops. My bad.
With so many final 4 and Cup appearances for the Wings since '95, it is easy to get confused...:)

konstantkarma
05-15-2009, 12:14 PM
With so many final 4 and Cup appearances for the Wings since '95, it is easy to get confused...:)

Yes. But I still hate Pronger....well, hate is too strong a word.....I strongly dislike him, but would probably like him more if he wore a winged wheel on his sweater :D

93legendti
05-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Yes. But I still hate Pronger....well, hate is too strong a word.....I strongly dislike him, but would probably like him more if he wore a winged wheel on his sweater :D
Me too. He is a goon.

Tom
05-15-2009, 12:45 PM
F'ing Bruins.

93legendti
05-17-2009, 11:25 AM
My brother reminded me that in the 2002 playoffs, Pronger injured both knees trying to cheap shot Yzerman. Luckily, Stevie jumped out of the way just in time to avoid the hit.

konstantkarma
05-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Nothing but poise from the Winged Wheel in game 1. It'll be tough for Chicago to match their top line against the Wings' top 3 :D . Nice to see Drapes back in the mix. Time for Zetterberg and Datsyuk to break out of their slumps I think.

93legendti
05-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Ozzie was great.

It was the fastest paced game I have seen in a while, because the standard prescritpion against the Wimgs is clutch and grab as much as you can.

The question will be do the Blackhawks think they can skate with Wings, or do they watch tape form the series with the Ducks and make the "necessary" conclusions?

rwsaunders
05-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Pens vs Canes....evenly matched and down to the wire.

konstantkarma
05-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Ozzie was great.

It was the fastest paced game I have seen in a while, because the standard prescritpion against the Wimgs is clutch and grab as much as you can.

The question will be do the Blackhawks think they can skate with Wings, or do they watch tape form the series with the Ducks and make the "necessary" conclusions?

Quenville must hate the Wings. he has lost to them many times in the playoffs.

mtb_frk
05-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Doh overtime. It is already my bed time and they havent dropped the puck yet.

Go wings!

93legendti
05-19-2009, 09:22 PM
i'm nervous....

93legendti
05-19-2009, 09:27 PM
phew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rwsaunders
05-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Hat tricks are sweet.....

mtb_frk
05-21-2009, 10:08 PM
They are in Pittsburgh tonight that is for sure.

Onno
05-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Malkin's last goal last night (the from-behind-the-net-breaking-through-defensemen-no-look-back-hand-to-the-top-corner-of-the-net-goal) is one of the most amazing goals I have ever seen, and I'm Canadian and nearing 50, so I think that's saying something!!

rwsaunders
05-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Malkin's last goal last night (the from-behind-the-net-breaking-through-defensemen-no-look-back-hand-to-the-top-corner-of-the-net-goal) is one of the most amazing goals I have ever seen, and I'm Canadian and nearing 50, so I think that's saying something!!

They called it a video game goal on hockey central last night.

konstantkarma
05-22-2009, 08:33 PM
on Havlatt by Kronwal......Ozzy lets in 2 softies.

Payback game.

93legendti
05-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Not so fast...3 goal leads are the hardest to defend...

93legendti
05-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Do you believe in miracles? YES!

mtb_frk
05-22-2009, 08:50 PM
For sure a clean hit.

93legendti
05-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Did Kronwall get a game misconduct? If so, Detroit really got screwed.

konstantkarma
05-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Yep. An the refs didn't punish the retaliator. 5 min powerplay..lost defenseman, for a clean hit. :crap:

The officiating in the NHL is incoherent and inconsistent.

Did Kronwall get a game misconduct? If so, Detroit really got screwed.

93legendti
05-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Yep. An the refs didn't punish the retaliator. 5 min powerplay..lost defenseman, for a clean hit. :crap:

What a rip-off...

stormyClouds
05-22-2009, 09:18 PM

It is bad, but that call has been consistent. Can't stand this new soft game, but they have called that throughout the playoffs.
Brown got the same deal when he (cleanly) laid out Hudler in the Ducks series.
I can handle the cutback on the dirty stickwork, but when they keep giving game misconducts for clean (albeit brutal) open ice hits, it takes away from the game.
Gotta keep you head up, man!

Onno
05-23-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm not sure there can be such a thing as a legal hit that is clearly intended to take a guy's head off. Sure Havlat was on the puck, but the check was aimed at the head, not the body, and was aimed to injure, not to take the man off the puck.

konstantkarma
05-23-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure there can be such a thing as a legal hit that is clearly intended to take a guy's head off. Sure Havlat was on the puck, but the check was aimed at the head, not the body, and was aimed to injure, not to take the man off the puck.

Then we saw a different hit my friend. If you watch the NHL regularly, that was a clean hit. Kronwal did not raise an elbow, and did not leave the ice. In the sport of hockey, you can knock an opponent off of the puck. It is like football on skates. Toughen up, or play tennis.

TAW
05-23-2009, 12:46 PM
It does appear from the videos and pics that Kronwall left his feet. Other than that, it looks fairly clean. I'm not sure a game misconduct is in order.
I do like the power and hitting in hockey, but I also do think that hockey needs to keep alive the finesse and speed of the game. Hits intended to injure skill players to me fall outside the pale of true hockey. :)

konstantkarma
05-23-2009, 08:43 PM
He left the ice after the hit. Even the broadcasters, hockey players themselves......and Keith Jones a former Avalanche player, no less, agreed that it was a clean hit. Junior hockey, no call. Maybe roughing. Keep your head up, or prepare to lay down.

rwsaunders
05-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Can you say Geno?

93legendti
05-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Bunch of thugs...

konstantkarma
05-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Bunch of thugs...

Which thugs? That term gets thrown around a lot in hockey. Tiger Williams anyone....Ti Domi?

93legendti
05-24-2009, 06:33 PM
The Blackhawks-a bunch of headhunters.

konstantkarma
05-24-2009, 06:43 PM
The Blackhawks-a bunch of headhunters.

Oh THEM! Well, we had to expect that. Teams always try to make up for a lack of depth and talent with brute force.

How about Cheli back in the line up? Hopefully, Lidstrom will be back soon.

Nice to see Bob Probert.

93legendti
05-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Cheli played less than 5 minutes, you wonder how much that really helps...

"...The Blackhawks took an astounding 16 penalties, including three misconducts. They completely lost their composure and blew any chance at a comeback. I knew the Blackhawks were young, but I didn’t realize they were going through the Terrible Twos..."

rwsaunders
05-26-2009, 09:10 PM
whew....

93legendti
05-27-2009, 10:10 PM
That was a good game.

konstantkarma
05-27-2009, 10:28 PM
It's on! I gotta say, the Wings looked kinda shaky at times tonight. I hope they get some D-men back before Saturday. P-burgh looked pretty strong last game against the Canes.

93legendti
05-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Ozzie stood on his head.

Detroit was missing their biggest defenseman, the best defenseman in the NHL, their best faceoff man (iirc also one of the best faceoff men in the NHL) and the best 2 way player in the NHL...and they gave up only 1 goal.

I'm sure it will be a great Cup series.

myette10
05-28-2009, 06:16 AM
neither goalie deserved to loose that game last night. two great performances.

myette10
05-28-2009, 06:16 AM
neither goalie deserved to loose that game last night. two great performances.

witcombusa
05-28-2009, 07:24 AM
So....who's gonna bring it?

I've got to say that the Pen's look stronger than this time last year.
I'm going with them in 6......

konstantkarma
05-28-2009, 09:43 AM
So....who's gonna bring it?

I've got to say that the Pen's look stronger than this time last year.
I'm going with them in 6......

Lot's of intangibles for the Wings at this point. If they get a healthy Lidstrom and Erikson back, then Wings in 6 again. If not, then.....Wings in 7? :)

The NHL and NBC's accelerated schedule definitely favors the Penguins, who are not beat up, and who played a couple of "softer" Eastern teams. When in recent history has the Stanley Cup final had back to back games 3 days after the conference finals? A: never!

The Wings will definitely be less rested, and more beat up than the Pens coming into the series.

Look for Kronwall to smack Malkin a couple of times in this first game. And Brad Stewart will be looking to "equalize" the Pens' first 2 lines. The Wings will pile up penalty minutes in the first 2 games, and probably win at least one of them.

93legendti
05-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Even with the injuries, Wings are deeper and can still roll 4 scoring lines. I'll take the Wings in 6.

stormyClouds
05-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Propers to Chicago. I liked watching the guys who showed up last night - game 4 Blackhawks, not so much.
That was a toughy with both teams limping a little in the health department.

I think the finals are going to be super tight this year. I hope that both teams have full rosters so there are no excuses on either side.
Looking forward to some great hockey. Best two teams made it, IMO.

konstantkarma
05-28-2009, 03:20 PM
A new word in the hockey vernacular.

konstantkarma
05-31-2009, 10:36 AM
What, no love for the Winged Wheel? That was a masterful performance by a "beat up" team. Ozzie stood on his head, and the young forwards led the charge.

Game 2 tonight....more physical for sure! What's with Sydney going after Malts at the end of regulation?

93legendti
05-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Ozzie has to be the MVP if the Wings win. HE has been the "hot goalie" of the playoffs.

I'm still amazed that Ericson played 3 days after his appendix (is that how it's spelled?) was removed.

It was a very fast paced game. I like that the skilled players weren't subjected to a lot of clutch and grabbing.

93legendti
05-31-2009, 06:38 PM
A new word in the hockey vernacular.

K W'ed?

rwsaunders
06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Scratch my back with a hacksaw, the Pens pulled it together. Hopefully, pics from today's parade can be posted later today.

RABikes2
06-15-2009, 09:08 PM
the Pens pulled it together. Hopefully, pics from today's parade can be posted later today.
Woohoo!!! :D Parade photos from my cousins who work in downtown should start arriving anytime now! Victory parades ARE huge celebrations in Pittsburgh! :banana:
RA

rwsaunders
06-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Woohoo!!! :D Parade photos from my cousins who work in downtown should start arriving anytime now! Victory parades ARE huge celebrations in Pittsburgh! :banana:
RA

Try these RitaAnn:

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/19745464/detail.html

RABikes2
06-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Try these RitaAnn:

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/19745464/detail.html
Thanks Ray! Wow, 375,000+ fans in downtown to celebrate the victory! Amazing! :banana:
RA