PDA

View Full Version : Wheel via Fedex; NYC to Canada. Problems?

dannyg1
04-15-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm worried about shipping a wheel via fedex to Canada. Every time I've bought anything via Ebay from Canada, I've had to deal with Customs charges nd shipping overage chargebacks.

A forum member in Canada wants to buy a rear wheel from me and I'd like some advice from other forumites who've done this before me?

Thanks guys!

tuscanyswe
04-15-2009, 05:13 PM
I dont know about canada in particular but i would guess its the same as with all int. shipments.

You could just put a low value on the shipment if you dont want to deal with custom fees. You ofc risk not getting your money back should anything go wrong with the shipment with a low value. Its up to the buyer to take that risk or not if you ask me. Same with custom fees, buyer pays them. Very hard for a seller to know the in and outs of every countries particular system.

climbgdh
04-15-2009, 05:18 PM
I can't comment about sending things from US to Canada but can comment about sending things from Canada to US. I always ask for stuff to be shipped via USPS if at all possible. Anytime I've had stuff shipped via Fedex or UPS I've almost always had to deal with customs issues / charges and in several cases UPS brokerage charges which can be VERY excessive. In a couple of cases the brokerage charges were in the $90-100 range.

thejen12
04-15-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't know about wheels in particular, but every time I send something to Canada, I usually mark it as a gift. Since I have relatives in Canada, most of the stuff I send there actually is a gift, so that's what got me started. I've never had a problem. I usually include a note, like, "Hey <buyer>, here is that nifty wheel I promised I'd give you when I got a new set. Hope you like it as much as I did.", just to sound authentic in case they open it.

Jenn

Grant McLean
04-15-2009, 05:24 PM
I can't comment about sending things from US to Canada but can comment about sending things from Canada to US. I always ask for stuff to be shipped via USPS if at all possible. Anytime I've had stuff shipped via Fedex or UPS I've almost always had to deal with customs issues / charges and in several cases UPS brokerage charges which can be VERY excessive. In a couple of cases the brokerage charges were in the $90-100 range.

Yup, USPS is the only way to go for shipping to Canada from the USA.

Receiving goods will cost the buyer in Canada only $5 for customs,
and 5% GST tax. (which only gets added about half the time, in my experience)

Do not send it EXPRESS USPS, as purolator delivers the rush packages
once the package is on the Cdn side of the boarder, and fees will be charged
for customs. The best value choice is "PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL"

http://www.usps.com/prices/welcome.htm?from=home_shipstartfinish&page=compareservices

I've done hundreds of Ebay purchases with USA sellers, always use USPS,
never have a problem.

-g

Grant McLean
04-15-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't know about wheels in particular, but every time I send something to Canada, I usually mark it as a gift. Since I have relatives in Canada, most of the stuff I send there actually is a gift, so that's what got me started. I've never had a problem. I usually include a note, like, "Hey <buyer>, here is that nifty wheel I promised I'd give you when I got a new set. Hope you like it as much as I did.", just to sound authentic in case they open it.

Jenn

we luv you!

Marcusaurelius
04-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Send it USPS --do not send it UPS or Fedex ground, they will charge every fee under the sun and then think of something else to add to the bill. The charges are brutal.

Fedex Express however just charges $8 and gst tax but their shipping charges are high unless you have a corporate account and even then it's still expensive. I will concede Fedex Express is incredibly fast. It's usually 2 day delivery from California.

Sometimes the post office charges are $5 plus gst but other times it's $8 plus gst on bicycle parts.

SpeedyChix
04-16-2009, 10:53 AM
USPS for sure.
Years ago I shipped a frame to Canada FedEx or UPS> buyer didn't pay the fees. they were in excess of $100.

Mail has been trouble free

thejen12
04-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Jenn
I forgot to mention that I always use USPS.

Jenn

TMB
04-16-2009, 11:41 AM
The issue with UPS or Fedex is that they charge "brokerage" fees to ship the goods across the border.

These fees are bogus. Bicycle parts are duty free between the US and Canada.

UPS and Fedex simply assess the charges to international shipments - they are pure profit to the courier company.

As has been said above, if shipping across borders I always use the post office.

If a vendor will not ship to me using USPS, I don't buy from that vendor. Period.

dannyg1
04-16-2009, 11:53 AM
The issue with UPS or Fedex is that they charge "brokerage" fees to ship the goods across the border.

These fees are bogus. Bicycle parts are duty free between the US and Canada.

If a vendor will not ship to me using USPS, I don't buy from that vendor. Period.

The PO has raised their I'ntl and domestic large box ship rate so much that I didn't even want to try for a quote. I'll try it but I'm pretty skeptical.

Thanks all for your help.

bostondrunk
04-16-2009, 12:00 PM
As far as I know it doesn't matter if it is marked as a gift or not. They charge tax and brokerage, etc., on the declared value.
If you send a gift and mark it with a $100 value, the recipient will pay tax on $100.

TMB
04-16-2009, 12:22 PM
The PO has raised their I'ntl and domestic large box ship rate so much that I didn't even want to try for a quote. I'll try it but I'm pretty skeptical.

Thanks all for your help.

Yes, this is an interesting change of late. I understand that they have even imposed limits on the size of box they will even take.

Here is a thought - would Greyhound get it there?

I frequently use Greyhound for larger parcels - cheap and fast.

Marcusaurelius
04-16-2009, 12:36 PM
I had a frameset sent to me by USPS a month ago and it was $35 and that seems reasonavle to me. You should be aware that the USPS online quote is not an accurate quote.

thejen12
04-16-2009, 01:58 PM
I had a frameset sent to me by USPS a month ago and it was $35 and that seems reasonavle to me. You should be aware that the USPS online quote is not an accurate quote.
+1

I get much cheaper quotes by taking the packed box to the actual post office than I get on their online site.

Jenn