PDA

View Full Version : Used Joe Young Wheels - Fair Price?

climbgdh
04-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Anyone here know what a fair price would be for a used set of Joe Young wheels? The build is as follows DT Swiss 240s Hubs and Mavic CXP 33 rims. The rear hub and spokes are new. Both rims and front hub have less than 1500 miles on them and are in excellent condition. Includes DT Swiss skewers. There's a set on flea-bay that interest me but I have no idea what a good price would be for this set up. Thanks.

Pete Serotta
04-15-2009, 03:11 PM
A starting point I would go with is 50% of whatever the new price is. Take the price on Colorado Cyclist of a build with those components and offer 50%.

Knowing the seller, history, condition, etc all can affect price up a little or down. Huts are bullet proof and rims and stout.

paczki
04-15-2009, 04:12 PM
A starting point I would go with is 50% of whatever the new price is. Take the price on Colorado Cyclist of a build with those components and offer 50%.

Knowing the seller, history, condition, etc all can affect price up a little or down. Huts are bullet proof and rims and stout.

That's a very good suggestion for an opening price.

climbgdh
04-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks.... that's an excellent suggestion for starting point!! Why didn't I think of that myself :crap:

trophyoftexas
04-15-2009, 05:32 PM
....just nearly identical to your's from a forum member about a year ago. I asked Joe about them and he remember building them for the guy and couldn't believe that they were already for sale! I gave $350.00 for mine including shipping....I believe that Joe told me they were about $800.00 new, maybe $750.00, again I can't remember for sure. I LOVE them but sold the bike they were on and now mine are just sitting around collecting dust and/or waiting for a new build project! VERY nice wheels!

bostondrunk
04-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Buy a set of new dura ace hubs off ebay for less than $200, a set of rims new off ebay for less than 100. Buy spokes from LBS or mailorder, and build the wheels yourself, or have a friend who knows how do it for you, it's really easy.
I would never trust a used handbuilt wheelset. No way to know how well they are built, and there have been lots of reports of wheels from well known builders going out of true quickly.
Build yourself a new set for under $400.

schneiderrd
04-16-2009, 04:07 PM
If they are Joe Young wheels they are good. Best set of wheels I have ever had. I paid about $600 for exactly the same set up about four years ago.

Kevan
04-16-2009, 04:36 PM
I don't see the fuss about who builds a wheelset. I don't mean no dis to Joe, who I've never met and I'm sure does a splendid job, but really folks...there are probably thousands of shops out there that make very respectable custom wheelsets for their customers. I say this because my shop built and soldered mine and they have functioned flawlessly.

I wouldn't assign any value to a used wheelset based on their builder, rather it's the parts, as Peter indicated, that helps determine value. I suppose if there's concern for their structure a shop could relax any concerns.

This isn't rocket science (Again...not intended to insult anyone).

rwsaunders
04-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Joe now knows where you live, Kevan.....

PS I really don't know wheel-building Joe Young, but I've read nothing but great accolades pertaining to his work.