PDA

View Full Version : days getting longer

David Kirk
12-22-2004, 07:58 AM
Well it's all downhill from here. can't you just feel the days getting longer and the warmth of the sun burning through the cold frosty haze..........me neither. But it did snow 25" overnight so I won't be in the shop today.

Winter is hell.

Dave

Smiley
12-22-2004, 08:29 AM
Two words for you .... Snow Boarding , what happened Captain Kirk , I thought you lived for the slopes .

Sandy
12-22-2004, 08:51 AM
"Days getting shorter" That's not so bad. At my age, I feel as if "I'm getting shorter." 25 inches of snow!!!

I guess there is a bad S word- Snow!

Shorter Snowman Sandy

Bosun
12-22-2004, 09:09 AM
25"--work?!? It's time to hit the mountain! Tele/Board/Skis whatever, you must get out.

Heading to Alta in a few days--225" since October 1st.

For those who have never lived through real powder...I feel sorry.

dave thompson
12-22-2004, 09:42 AM
This is a pic from the Kirk website, taken from inside World Headquarters of the Kirk Frameworks lug brazing shop, looking out. Those are the Bridger Mountains, home of Bridger Ski Bowl, and just a few miles from the Frameworks. Picture them covered in many feet of snow, and think 'Dave is a very lucky boy'!

Kevan
12-22-2004, 10:20 AM
threatened our little group at one point with potential black ice, but we managed to steer clean, and for the weekend I tallied 60 some-odd miles in total. Monday all hell breaks loose: temps fall to the single digits, snow falls, and winds increase, it Looks like a season ender. But wait... here it is Wednesday and the temps are back up, reaching near 50, the snow is now melting, roads are clear, the rain tomorrow promises to wash them all off. Friday's warm winds will blow them dry, and by the weekend it looks to be cool, calm and clear.

I think Santa will be riding into town around here. I know I will :cool:

Come on April!!!!

dave thompson
12-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Anyone know if there are Serotta rentals in Cabo?

Kevan
12-22-2004, 11:25 AM
time shares. :D

bcm119
12-22-2004, 11:26 AM
DK- I doubt you really hate winter. Anyone who lives in Saratoga Springs and then Bozeman MT can't be a real winter hater. 2 feet of snow sounds beautiful to me, better than 39 degrees and foggy for 4 days straight, with mold growing on everything. Still trying to figure out the appeal of the NW...

Climb01742
12-22-2004, 11:31 AM
i'm dreaming, as ever, of moving to santa barbara...where is that damn lottery ticket anyway?

dsimon
12-22-2004, 11:32 AM
yeah i know i hate it here toooo. its 730 am rainy and 69 degrees :crap: still no ridding for me i only have one bike..so its not getting wet :D

David Kirk
12-22-2004, 08:08 PM
It was an EPIC day on the hill. I got first chair at 9:00 and last at 4:00 and now I'm toast.

It was simply heaven at Bridger today. Lots of fresh snow, good friends, a new Rad-Air Tanker 200, making turns with my favorite slope partner (Karin) and hot chili for lunch.

I'm thinking that the phone might not get answered again tomorrow.

All the best........and remember to live where you play.

Dave

Bill Bove
12-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Snow board vs surf board. :confused:

Snow temp <32* vs water temp >75* :confused:

Snowbirds vs snowmen :confused:

Two out of three ain't too bad :D

Blastinbob
12-22-2004, 09:14 PM
i'm dreaming, as ever, of moving to santa barbara...where is that damn lottery ticket anyway?

I dream of living in the hills above Santa Barbara too, it will take a very good size winning ticket to do so, 3 mil will get you a nice little house and 6 will get you a beauty. Yikes!!

M_A_Martin
12-22-2004, 09:48 PM
You forgot Bill:

Snow snakes vs. Sharks :p

Hmmmm. I might get my wish this year: that it actually snows during the Michigan winter like it did when I was a kid (no, really...I have pictures to prove that it snowed here!)!

Of course, it's not like I can do anything with the snow this winter :(

The Weather*man* says that we're supposed to get 6-10...so I'm suspecting we *might* get 2-4....maybe only a dusting... :fight:

bcm119
12-22-2004, 11:16 PM

Well, I just moved out of Santa Barbara, so if it makes you feel any better, heres a few reasons why its not 100% paradise- although its pretty close. There are a few stunningly beautiful road rides, but thats about it. Since the city is located on a narrow strip of coastal plain between the ocean and some very steep mountains, you don't have too many choices. Dbrk once wrote that the problem with the west is that there aren't enough roads, and that applies to SB. And the traffic is getting worse by the month. The freeway is a parking lot every afternoon getting through town.
And yes, you'd need a big winning ticket, because the median is 975k, and fixer-upper bungalows downtown go for 800k.

That being said, I've considered buying a little land there in the hills and living in a yurt for 10 or 15 years 'til I could afford to build.

vaxn8r
12-22-2004, 11:30 PM
DK- I doubt you really hate winter. Anyone who lives in Saratoga Springs and then Bozeman MT can't be a real winter hater. 2 feet of snow sounds beautiful to me, better than 39 degrees and foggy for 4 days straight, with mold growing on everything. Still trying to figure out the appeal of the NW...
Aww, it'll grow on you....moss that is.

vaxn8r
12-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Seriously, yeah, it's a little moist but temperate and hundreds of seldom used country roads in any direction you want to go for as long as you want to go. Maybe too many roads with chip seal :confused: but there's very few places with weather you can ride all year and so many choices. Finally, once you spend an entire summer here you'll get it. Paradise!

But that's just how I see it. None of you other guys and gals would probably like it. Better off staying where you are... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bcm119
12-23-2004, 12:48 AM
It is growing on me...slowly...like the moss.

shinomaster
12-23-2004, 01:56 AM
sorry to hear of your snowy woes Mr. Kirk. And I was about to complain about the rain and 50 degree weather here in stumptown!!... He he..

Larry
12-23-2004, 01:58 AM
Snow and ice here in Dallas. Seven weeks and we get to spring, more or less. Saturday's high will reach around 42.

Dave...........Enjoy the winter activities in Bozeman.
Happy Holidays.

Larry

Tom
12-23-2004, 05:08 AM
Mid forties and rain here. You guys on the left side of the storm are getting the good stuff. At least somebody is.

This is shaping up to be one of our epic 3 days of cold, warm up and rain winters. Ah, well. My book says I was riding outdoors by the first week of March last year. What does that make it, 10 weeks?

William
12-23-2004, 05:52 AM
It is growing on me...slowly...like the moss.

It can sometimes get a little depressing, espeacially if you move there from some place like Santa Barbra (Dang nab Cal-i-forn-i-ans ;) ). Especially on the rare occasions when it lasts into June or July. But when summer comes, man is it nice. And like Vax said, hundreds of miles of little used roads and any type of riding you could want at your door step.

Now, don't get me wrong, Portland is a great cycling town and has many great rides, but I was disapointed when I moved up from the valley. Only because I was spoiled with all the high mileage,low traffic routes to choose from. Now I live in Rhode Island and it has even fewer varied routes, much more traffic and more extreme seasonal variations. I'll trade you "39 degrees and foggy" for 21 degrees and icy with a wind chill of 9 degrees any day of the week. :)

But that's just how I see it. None of you other guys and gals would probably like it. Better off staying where you are...

"Doesn't it rain all the time in Oregon? How can you live with that?" Any Oregonian worth their salt will tell you; "Oh yeah, rains all the time, but you get used to it". Is it true? Let's just say that they want to discourage any more people from moving there, esp Cal-i-forn-i-ans. ;) :)

William

Bill Bove
12-23-2004, 06:57 PM
You forgot Bill:

Snow snakes vs. Sharks :p

Ah Ginger, the chamber of commerce asked me to remind you that there are no sharks in our waters. Got that? No sharks, O.K.

Kieth A, surfed "the monster hole" lately?