PDA

View Full Version : OT.... You want to feel good about something this morning??

Charles M
04-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Have a look... Seriously.

Susane Boyle sings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk)

rounder
04-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Goood stuff peztech. i am not a fan of that kind of music at all and don't watch idol. But that was inspired.

eddief
04-15-2009, 09:07 PM
deleted by dumb addition.

BumbleBeeDave
04-15-2009, 09:12 PM
. . . but I am desperately looking for something to feel good about this evening . . .

BBD

fourflys
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
watching that video makes you wonder what kind of people we've initially dismissed because of first appearences.... I've seen Les Mis on stage in London and that lady can sing it just as well as the stage version!

jblande
04-15-2009, 11:56 PM
but don't you think the response is staged?

Kines
04-16-2009, 05:02 AM
but don't you think the response is staged?

I was kinda thinking the same thing, and I don't want to be the cynical one, especially since I'm no music critic, but for anyone who is - was she really that good? It seems like it's more about the feel good story (which I enjoyed, too) than her really being "exceptional".

I dunno.

KN

Steve in SLO
04-16-2009, 05:03 AM
Just...wow.

Marz
04-16-2009, 07:36 AM
I was kinda thinking the same thing, and I don't want to be the cynical one, especially since I'm no music critic, but for anyone who is - was she really that good? It seems like it's more about the feel good story (which I enjoyed, too) than her really being "exceptional".

I dunno.

KN
"Was she really that good? Jeez," did it sound good to you? You can't tell? FMD.

Ray
04-16-2009, 07:48 AM
"Was she really that good? Jeez," did it sound good to you? You can't tell? FMD.
That's not music I'd probably ever choose to listen to but, yeah, I'd say she's that good. I don't much like Opera either, but I can still respect it, no?

-Ray

Climb01742
04-16-2009, 08:24 AM
not quite paul potts but pretty darn good. book by its cover, eh?

johnnymossville
04-16-2009, 08:39 AM
I think she's really great, and the timing of this performance seems like one of those lightning strike moments where it all comes together at the right time. Everyone knows that performing can be more than a voice, a look, or a catchy tune. It's about chemistry. At that moment she had it.

I hope she records an album and becomes an extremely wealthy woman based off this performance.

Charles M
04-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Yes I would call a performance on a raised platform with spotlights a huge audience and a panel of judges "staged"...

I took this on the whole and found it a pretty great scenario given the normal buffed and polished acts that we get all night long...

She wasn't perfect but far better than neccesary to make the overall package pretty great...

rockdude
04-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Brought a tear to my eye... She is every bit as much a star as William Hung and she even has some real talent.

Marz
04-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Brought a tear to my eye... She is every bit as much a star as William Hung and she even has some real talent.

Amen. Yep teared up here as well.

JeffS
04-16-2009, 09:39 AM

I'm not Kines, but no... I can't really tell. Yes, she's a better singer than the average person, but cheering from the first line? I don't think so.

All I can really hear is the crowd cheering.

fierte_poser
04-16-2009, 10:56 AM
From the first note her voice sounds heavily processed, so its tough to say how good she really is.

She did pull a sly one on the audience/judges and that was fun to watch.

It was like watching a gong show performance that didn't suck.

Charles M
04-16-2009, 11:44 AM

That's a good way to look at it... She's not the most fantastic voice ever but it was a great "happening".

She was on the early show via satelite and sang it again a cappella... no processing and it sounded even better.

Just a good voice from an unexpected place...

I guess the answer to the thread title for some is simply "No, I don't want to feel good about something this morning ;) "

Dekonick
04-16-2009, 12:38 PM
The Gong Show - a favorite back in the day.

One to remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUkzIx382mM

Kines
04-16-2009, 07:05 PM
The Gong Show - a favorite back in the day.

One to remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUkzIx382mM

I don't get it - what's so funny about eating popcicles?

KN

Kines
04-17-2009, 08:42 AM

Yup now I've decided for sure, after hearing her clearly sing on CNN video:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2009/04/17/am.susan.boyle.sings.cnn

I'll go ahead and be the pariah here. She sings just fine, but nothing near "exceptional".

This on, the other hand, gives me goosebumps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aef9DGvZ8Qo

And he died before he could even be recorded electronically.

Music is indeed art. Some people get something out of looking at Jackson Pollack's paintings.

Anyhoo, moving on......

KN

bironi
04-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Very staged. A voice like that coming out of a face and body like that? That's the stage trick, but I was bored nearly from the start.

Imagine if the first time you heard Aretha Franklin, you expected the face and body of a Hollywood starlet.

A star with a twitter life span is born.