PDA

View Full Version : OT: Turtles & Hampsters

William
04-15-2009, 05:01 AM
So, the William children are lobbying for a pet. Our daughter is asking about Hamsters and our son is working the Turtle angle. In an effort to help them understand the responsibilities that go into taking care of pets, we’ve asked them to write a report (aren’t we mean…) about the animals and what it takes to care for them. This included a trip to the library so they could find reference material on the chosen pet to draw from. So far they have been very much into it and have been diligently studying and working on their papers. They are very much into this and we’ve been very impressed with their work and perseverance so far.

Behind the scenes Mrs. William and I have been talking about it and weighing the pros and cons of getting a pet. I had a Hamster as a kid so I know firsthand what goes into caring for one. But neither of us ever raised a turtle. We’ve both read the books that our children checked out on the subject which appears to be very informative.

The point to my post: Does anyone here have firsthand experience they can share about caring for turtles? Just thought I would ask.

Thanks,
William

fungusamungus33
04-15-2009, 05:30 AM
Yep. Send me an email. I'll get back to you with a serious list of Pros and Cons.

05Fierte TI
04-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Turtles can live a very very long time. The turtle's lifespan can be considerably longer than your son's interest in pets.

William
04-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Turtles can live a very very long time. The turtle's lifespan can be considerably longer than your son's interest in pets.

Yes, that is one of the heavy cons on the turtle list.

Yep. Send me an email. I'll get back to you with a serious list of Pros and Cons.

Will do.

Thanks,
William

Skrawny
04-15-2009, 06:02 AM
I can't speak on hamsters.
I had a turtle for many years (tortoise actually) (http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reptiles/tortoises/RedFootedTortoise.php). Ended up selling her for more than I bought her when we had a long and difficult move ahead of us- turns out she was some desired (but not protected) specimen. I wasn't in it for the investment, and was sad to see her go.

Anyway, it's a good pet. Prob more work than a hamster, needs more cleaning, and is probably a little more expensive. Obviously not as cuddly, but it was fun to take her out into the grass and watch her trundle along -like miniature Jurassic Park. She ate salad, especially all things red; she would move all the lettuce out of the way and then messily squelch into a tomato.

Something to note is that reptiles are a significant source of salmonella. Won't be a problem if you teach your children good hand washing techniques.

William
04-15-2009, 06:11 AM
I can't speak on hamsters.
I had a turtle for many years (tortoise actually) (http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reptiles/tortoises/RedFootedTortoise.php). Ended up selling her for more than I bought her when we had a long and difficult move ahead of us- turns out she was some desired (but not protected) specimen. I wasn't in it for the investment, and was sad to see her go.

Anyway, it's a good pet. Prob more work than a hamster, needs more cleaning, and is probably a little more expensive. Obviously not as cuddly, but it was fun to take her out into the grass and watch her trundle along -like miniature Jurassic Park. She ate salad, especially all things red; she would move all the lettuce out of the way and then messily squelch into a tomato.

Something to note is that reptiles are a significant source of salmonella. Won't be a problem if you teach your children good hand washing techniques.

Sounds like you had a good experience with her. :cool:

The Salmonella is something we read about in the texts we brought home. I wasn't aware of that before this. At first glance sounds like a detriment but if they are sure to wash their hands before and after handling it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,
William

rwsaunders
04-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Aquatic frogs....dwarf clawed frogs to be specific. Cheap, easy to take care of and they don't bark or pee on the carpet.

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/frogsandtoads/p/dwarfclawedfrog.htm

Ray
04-15-2009, 07:29 AM
I see a puppy in your future. We started similarly with our kids. We had a couple of hamsters. Didn't live all that long, both buried in our old back yard. One daughter settled on lizards (Pete and Pete were their names - seriously) and they live a while. They proved themselves so thoroughly that we had no basis not to get a dog when they were a little older. Guess who's done the lion's share of caring for the dog? Hell, both girls are adults now but the pooch is still going strong. And hopefully will for several years to come.

I'm not saying dogs are good or bad (well, I am, I love 'em personally), just saying that the kid's ability and willingness to care for a hamster or a turtle will build a compelling case for a "real" pet, but the care may not follow, at least from the kids. Still wouldn't do it any differently.

Have fun with those little hamster poops!

-Ray

Lifelover
04-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Get a cat!

Hamster and turtles aren't pets. They are captives.

johnnymossville
04-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Guinea Pigs. My daughters absolutely love the little buggers. We have a turtle and he isn't active enough for most kids. My daughters, particularly the younger one got bored with him. The older one is still taking care of it pretty well. Russian Box Turtle.

I'd go Guinea Pigs. They're a great step up to a dog, which like Ray said, you'll probably end up there eventually.

Good Luck!

Ray
04-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Guinea Pigs. My daughters absolutely love the little buggers. We have a turtle and he isn't active enough for most kids. My daughters, particularly the younger one got bored with him. The older one is still taking care of it pretty well. Russian Box Turtle.
Wait'll they start smoking pot. The turtles are much better fodder for stoned philosophical discussions than more active animals! They teach patience too.

-Ray

flickwet
04-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Let your daughter get a hamster, they are cuter but don't live very long 2-3 years usually, cheap and simple to take care of, just realize every couple of years there will be a day or two of mourning. My daughter Lillie went through 3 hamsters over a 7 year period and they were alot of fun, with two Golden retrievers to boot the hamster always got along with the dogs and vice-versa, nothing funnier than watching two goldens chasing a hamster in a ball, ya gotta get the ball.

Let your son get a Russian Tortise, simpler to care for than water turtles, and some of the other native turtles are Illegal to posess. Generally Tortoises tend to be more expensive but the Russian is not, My 13 yr old son Weston started with a box turtle when he was 8 we now have added a Russian tortoise and a Red Footed tortoise. Don't tell anyone but we have also raised and released 3 Snapping Turtles after 2 years, they are REALLY COOL to feed. Weston's turtles/Tortisis have really been a positive. He has taken them to school for sciece fiar stuff has read extensivly about them and takes his stewardship very seriously, No question that they have encouraged his interest in Biology, of course he also races Crits and Cross (pinarello) and has turned on two of his friends to "real" bikes.

Blue Jays
04-15-2009, 09:06 AM
http://www.hampsten.com/