PDA

View Full Version : Colnago Carbon Fiber Frame Warranty

alancw3
04-14-2009, 11:48 AM
so when socalsteve and haydos posted those two beautiful colnago bikes of theirs i started doing some reseach on a colnago eps or extreme power. both wonderful bikes that come in my large size. anyway am i reading the colnago website correctly when they say the frame warranty is for only two years? if that is correct then i would have a hard time buying a colnago. time, look, serotta, parlee, calfee and even cannondale have like a lifetime warranty to the original owner. please tell me i am reading this wrong. with how prone cf frames are to failure i would be leary of buying a frame with only a two year warranty.

SoCalSteve
04-14-2009, 12:06 PM
so when socalsteve and haydos posted those two beautiful colnago bikes of theirs i started doing some reseach on a colnago eps or extreme power. both wonderful bikes that come in my large size. anyway am i reading the colnago website correctly when they say the frame warranty is for only two years? if that is correct then i would have a hard time buying a colnago. time, look, serotta, parlee, calfee and even cannondale have like a lifetime warranty to the original owner. please tell me i am reading this wrong. with how prone cf frames are to failure i would be leary of buying a frame with only a two year warranty.

My first thought is always...Its a static part of the whole "bike". There is nothing to go wrong. Its not like a shifter or a chain or a cassette. Those parts move, have friction, etc. A bike frame really has nothing that can go wrong with it over time. Either it was jacked up in the manufacturing or its all good to go.

If the carbon fails, it is because YOU did something to cause that failure (like crash). I cannot ever imagine that you (or anyone) will outlast carbon fiber. Its a 0 or 1 thing. Either it works or it has a catastrpohic failure. There is no almost.

Just one mans opinion (I am no expert on carbon fiber, nor do I play a carbon fiber expert on TV).

Steve

Dave
04-14-2009, 12:12 PM
LOOK does not have a lifetime warranty - it's 5 years. You should also read the fine print on every one of those "lifetime" warranties. Some failures are expected after many years of wear and tear. A cracked frame with many years of use won't always be replaced for free. C'dale revised their verbage to cover the inevitable cracking of aluminum frames - it's considered to be normal.

oldguy00
04-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Further to what has already been said, warranties usually only cover manufacturing defects.
The way I think about it is, if something is going to break/crack due to a manufacturing defect, chances are it will happen within the first year or two anyway.
Plus, do a search on the web for broken/failed Colnagos (that weren't due to bad crashes). You won't find many!!

Pete Serotta
04-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Serotta Warranty is lifetime to original purchaser (not amount of use).

If you race and crash that is not a "warranty" but you can get the "peace of mind" protection. We are running a promo on the new race HSG see other thread, and it includes "peace of mind"

Yes those who know me - knew I was going to be biased. :) :)

sg8357
04-14-2009, 01:17 PM
It is a race bike right ? your sponsor will give you a new one every season. :)

bfd
04-14-2009, 01:40 PM

Calfee's warranty is 25 years, not lifetime, although for many 25 years is lifetime:)

Further, even if it breaks after the 2 year warranty, you can get Colnago or any other carbon fiber frame repaired by Calfee. Check it out:

"Our unique molding process uses the best quality 3k carbon fiber weave to create forms that are shapely, lightweight, and extremely strong. From minor scratches to stuck seatposts to frames destroyed by the dreaded endo or that startling encounter with the garage door; we've repaired over 2,100 frames since 2003

Brands we've fixed:
Abici Orbea Cervelo Hed Zipp Trek Scott Specialized Look Ridley Kuota Pinarello Giant Colnago Bianchi Wilier Fuji Corima Blue Reynolds De Rosa Eddy Merckx Lemond Litespeed Time Javelin Cinelli Vellum Koga Miyata Marin Ibis Isaac Guru Raleigh Klein Campagnolo Cannondale Felt Jamis FSA Kestrel and more."

http://www.calfeedesign.com/howtosendrepair.htm

Marcusaurelius
04-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Well I have to disagree with the person that said nothing can go wrong with a frame over time--lots can go wrong. I can remember some early specialized carbon frames that had lots of things go wrong with them. I think a steel frame (or titanium) can usually repaired inexpensively if it's not covered by a warranty but I don't think it's quite so easy with carbon. I think Calfee does repairs but I don't know of any local people that repair carbon frames.

I suppose a Serotta isn't really that expensive after all when you consider their warranty.

SoCalSteve
04-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Well I have to disagree with the person that said nothing can go wrong with a frame over time--lots can go wrong. I can remember some early specialized carbon frames that had lots of things go wrong with them. I think a steel frame (or titanium) can usually repaired inexpensively if it's not covered by a warranty but I don't think it's quite so easy with carbon. I think Calfee does repairs but I don't know of any local people that repair carbon frames.

I suppose a Serotta isn't really that expensive after all when you consider their warranty.

Colnago's have been doing carbon frames for a very long time. I dont think you will have anything to worry about. I've owned 4 so far and nary an issue, problem, etc...and have ridden them many thousands of miles.

Just sayin'

Steve

Ti Designs
04-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Colnago has had a very long and weird relationship with shops, distributors and grey marketers over the years, making any blanket statement about their warranty wrong. It's all about when you got it, who you go it from and who's really taking care of the warranty claim(s).

maddog17
04-14-2009, 02:18 PM
to say nothing will go wrong with a frame is a bit wrong. anything can happen to anything at anytime. we all count on the manufacturing process to be absolute and 100% perfect all the time, but it isn't. Colnago may be counting on the law of averages to be on their side for warranty issues, but it all has to be taken with a grain of salt. so i guess if you feel comfortable with "only" a 2 yr warranty then so be it. if you'd like a longer one then a Colnago isn't for you.

shiftyfixedgear
04-14-2009, 02:38 PM
and I saw a few frame defects and failures that make me call BS on the assertion that frames don't fail because of "X" brand's long experience or so-called reputation. I saw C40's that had the BB threaded sleeve rip out when removing a Campy BB assembly - twice. Frame defects and failures happen to every brand sooner or later and I've had thirty years around the bike industry and racing to attest to that.

Some companies deal with the problems better than others. Colnago's old importer Trialtir was very good at avoiding ANY responsibility towards support and warranty, IMHO. Maybe that has changed with the shift in distributors over the past few years, but I doubt it.

I Want Sachs?
04-14-2009, 03:17 PM
I am always amused by lifetime warranty.

The object is warrantied for life. So when the object breaks, the life is over, so it is not covered anymore.

Ti Designs
04-14-2009, 03:38 PM
I am always amused by lifetime warranty.

All these large companies have hit squads to wipe out the last users of any product they made - it's nothing to be amused by.

Peter P.
04-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Alancw3 "gets it" and is a wise consumer. Most people don't read the warranty BEFORE they buy, then are surprised when they try to exercise their expired warranty. We all should be wary of limited warranties. Frames DO see stresses over every bump and pedal stroke; they are far from static objects. Failures can and do occur for numerous reasons. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a LIFETIME warranty on a bicycle frame; steel frames set the standard with lifetime warranties long ago and if history tells us anything, you can pretty much rely on them lasting that long with failures being the somewhat rare exception. But with the advent of the consumer demanding LIGHT, LIGHTER, LIGHTER! frames and the commensurate usage of aluminum and carbon fiber, it's obvious from the limited warranties being offered on these framed materials that the manufacturers know more than we do. We expect them to perform just as long as the steel standard, but in more cases, they don't. It is in this respect that steel frames DO outperform the newer materials. Credit goes to the companies that provide lifetime warranties to their carbon and aluminum frames, but I wonder whether this is a business decision to retain market share or is based on sound engineering conclusions.

Pete Serotta
04-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Peter, I can only speak for what I have seen at SEROTTA and the folks like Ben, Mike Lopez (composite guru) and such folks as STEVE and the team that makes them. LOTS of testing is done and redone to insure a high quality product.

I could not agree with you more on the "lightness" theme- for lightness in some cases has a price in durability. That is why SEROTTA is never the the winner on lightness in comparisons. They are built for the "long term" positive owner experience.

If something does break Ben and team stand behind "their" product. It is his name that goes on it and the team who executes that are there for the buyer.....always :D :D (No this is not a paid ad but just an observation of many years.....)

bn70
04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
is pretty crazy. I personally have seen dozens of failures of carbon frames over the years (primarily Look, Trek, Cervelo). All three manufacturer's were quite good at warranty issues. From what I understand Colnago in Italy and their distributor in the UK are very easy to deal with as well. However, on a regular basis UK distributor's will abrogate EU law and refuse a warranty with a flippant 'go ahead, sue me in Belgium, try and collect in the UK'.
Personally if the distributor has a good reputation and is 'fair' I would have no qualms about buying a Colnago. I almost purchased an EPS, bought a Time RXR which has a lifetime warranty but more importantly is repairable for a fee.

Charles M
04-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Personally I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Colnago...

In fact I have a brand new EPS custom sitting in the stand right now.

I would put Colnago among the best in the business with regard to carbon build quality were their lugged sets are the subject. They're fantastic. They are also one of a few companies that still build toward a ride experience versus a stiffness to weight ratio at the top of their range (a bit like a certain forum housing manufacturer...).

I look at the likelyhood of needing a warranty serviced more than I do a term, but I have a different point of view that puts a bit of a twist on things...

20+ sizes, very good build quality and a knod toward riding versus weighing make Colnago one of a couple of companies that I really like...

Before I was any place near a wouldbe bike tester I was a customer of Colnago and actually did have a problem and the frame was out of warranty... Colnago fixed it anyway as it was very plainly their problem. Honestly that's effected my opinion of them since, but not as much as the smple pleassure of riding the bikes.

The new EPS is a fantastic bike.

1centaur
04-14-2009, 09:12 PM
pez

"fatastic"?

"forum hosing manufacturer"?

Do you need some couch time to help understand your subconscious feelings?

:D

alancw3
04-15-2009, 06:33 AM
thanks for all of the excellant input. i am very impressed with colnago bikes and think they are well engineered. i guess where i am coming from is the thought of laying out $5000+ dollars for a frame with a two year warranty. like someone else pointed out every bump you hit causes stress to carbon fiber. i have seen carbon fiber bike frames fail after two years. granted, you would think that a failure would occur in the first year. i guess i could argue that if a manufacturer is only willing to warranty his product for two years how did he arrive at that period of time? has his testing shown that carbon fiber significantly deteriorates after that time? i don't know. again, point being $5000+ for a two year warranty.

anyway, this is what in so great about the serotta forum. interaction on differing points of view. i for one find it stimulating and helpful.

djg
04-15-2009, 06:52 AM
I think that you're reading the warranty correctly and it's as big a deal as it is to you personally. Properly built frames do not tend to fail because of defects in materials or workmanship that show up in year 3 or 8. OTOH, stuff can happen here and there and if you, personally, are especially risk averse about this particular investment, a bigger, better warranty might really be worth the peace of mind. Frankly, from an odds perspective, I'd be more concerned about theft or crash damage (which is not covered under the typical manufacturer's lifetime warranty). I have homeowner's insurance to cover theft. One nice thing about Serotta is the possibility of crash protection that remains in force for "extreme" out-of-warranty uses such as racing (for race bikes) -- for 250 bucks I liked the extra peace of mind. It's also nice because it puts the warranty issue in basic terms -- how much extra would you pay to be covered against what sort contingency?

At the same time, I did buy a Colnago once. I really liked it very much for about 6 years, after which I sold the perfectly good bike to somebody who seemed very happy to get it. I've also bought used frames a couple of times -- no warranty.

dookie
04-15-2009, 08:09 AM
Serotta Warranty is lifetime to original purchaser (not amount of use).

as is Parlee's. furthermore, it is transferable provided Parlee can inspect it between owners to make sure they're not covering abuse from the first.

Ozz
04-15-2009, 08:09 AM
For most companies, warranties are part of the marketing of a product...if you need to increase demand, offer a great warranty. If people will buy your stuff regardless of a warranty, why offer one? Compare the Hyundai warranty from a couple years ago (10 years bumper to bumper?) to a Ferrari (20 minutes?? ;) ).

Then there are companies like Serotta that know they make a good product and want to stand behind it...their reputation for service is part of their marketing....they also make a high quality product and know they won't have many claims.

just sayin....

Charles M
04-15-2009, 08:53 AM
pez

"fatastic"?

"forum hosing manufacturer"?

Do you need some couch time to help understand your subconscious feelings?

:D

OYY!

I need smell check is what I need!

timto
04-15-2009, 08:59 AM
We're dealing with products that involve humans in various stages of prep and stuff goes wrong. No matter the brand! I think if we pooled our collective experience no brand would not have an 'issue' one of us has personally seen.

I think what differentiates brands at this level of product is how they respond when called upon.

If you are confident your retailer will support you when needed (2 years and beyond....) colnago carbons are proven,evolved, refined, well constructed bikes. They've been doing carbon a long long time.

If the two year warranty just rubs you the wrong way get a serotta!

LegendRider
04-15-2009, 09:04 AM
I've owned four carbon bikes and have had problems with two:

Carbonframes (Calfee) Tetra Pro - metal band around seattube that held the bottle bosses came undone. Craig Calfee repaired it quickly and under warrantly.

Specialized Roubaix - seat tube cracked at seatpost clamp. Specialized replaced the frame before having rec'd the old one (shop told them it was a legit warranty).

Parlee Z1x - no issues (purchased new, going to Parlee if something happens)

Colnago C50 - no issues (purchased used, so if something happens it's going to Calfee)

sspielman
04-15-2009, 10:12 AM
The Colnago C40/C50 and derivatives have to be the most tested and proven line of carbon frames in the world. To me that speaks far more powerfully than a frame with a "lifetime warranty" but with dubious design and/or construction credentials....

SoCalSteve
04-15-2009, 10:44 AM
The Colnago C40/C50 and derivatives have to be the most tested and proven line of carbon frames in the world. To me that speaks far more powerfully than a frame with a "lifetime warranty" but with dubious design and/or construction credentials....

Wow! I couldnt have said it better myself (and I tried to).

This says it all.

Just sayin'

Steve

tomwd3
04-15-2009, 12:33 PM

No doubt. They've dealt with an awful lot of miles under protour riders.
They're not easy on bikes.

palincss
04-15-2009, 02:53 PM
OYY!

I need smell check is what I need!

Smells like teem spirit to me...