PDA

View Full Version : Airborne Zeppelin?

Lifelover
12-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Anyone have any experience or opinions about the Zeppelin.

I may have a chance to get one at a good price and was hoping to get some thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Jeff N.
12-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Sure! I have one. The 63cm size. It's decked out with DA-9, with Chris King hubs, Salsa bar/stem/seatpost, Reynolds Ouzo Comp fork. I only paid, if I remember correctly, $900.00 for the frame brand new. I consider it a great bargain for a straight gauge, 3/2.5 Ti frame. I believe its fabricated in Taiwan, but nowhere on the frame does it say where its made. The welds are clean, (although not what I'd call Moots quality ,but what is? Other than a Moots, that is.....) the curved chain and seat stays are artfully done and contribute to what I would call a pretty stiff, yet compliant, ride. The decals are applied in such a way as to preclude their wearing off easily. Don't ask me how they did it. Its like they're baked on or something. I think the word must've gotten out on what a bargain they are because I've noticed the price of Airborne's various frame styles rising sharply in recent years. I've never read anything but good reviews on Airborne frames, and I have to agree: A good one it is. If you can get one for even less than what they originally go for, I'd jump on it. Build that puppy up and ride the heck out of it! Jeff N.

arsegas
12-21-2004, 08:33 PM
The Zeppelin is made in China. For some there's no difference, for others, all the difference. :)

- Eric

eddief
12-21-2004, 09:58 PM
It was a nicely put together bike. This was early on in my middle aged bike experiment and I enjoyed the ride a lot...until I rode something bigger. I never was very fond of the Zeppelin looks. The ovalized tubes and where the seat stays attached to the seat tube always looked a little off to me. I replaced it with a larger TST and the Zep went the way of the other smaller frame experiments.

Jeff N.
12-22-2004, 08:37 AM
It was a nicely put together bike. This was early on in my middle aged bike experiment and I enjoyed the ride a lot...until I rode something bigger. I never was very fond of the Zeppelin looks. The ovalized tubes and where the seat stays attached to the seat tube always looked a little off to me. I replaced it with a larger TST and the Zep went the way of the other smaller frame experiments.Yes! Exactly! The Airborne Zeppelin was a sort of experiment for me as well. I got it, essentially, as a frame to build up with a DA-9 grouppo that was given to me by a friend who switched to Campy. But I've been quite fond of it. I don't care for the so-called compact frame/sloping top tube design for the most part-ANY brand-so the Airborne Zeppelin is my sole example of this style. The price was right, the ride is nice...what more can I say? Jeff N.