PDA

View Full Version : Carbon wheels and my stupidity

TAW
04-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I have a set of Zipp 303s which I use almost exclusively for races. Had a race last Saturday and was packing up and getting ready to leave. I have a truck, so I take the front wheel off to put the bike on a bed mount. In the meantime, someone comes over to talk for a while and I forget about the front wheel, which I have leaning up against the back of the truck.

After talking, I get in and start to back out, and I hear a sound, and see some people in my rear view mirror staring in horror. I stop the truck, and open the door, only to see my front wheel partially under the back tire of my truck. :eek:

I quickly pull off the wheel and get out, expecting to see crumpled carbon everywhere. Much to my surprise, absolutely nothing happened, and the wheel was fine and still true. I thought of the thread about carbon wheels at Paris-Roubaix, and I don't know how carbon wheels would fare on cobbles, but they survived my stupidity.

L84dinr
04-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Glad your wheel survived.

I had a similar experience. I placed my riding shoes on the rear wheel of my truck while i placed the bike on the rack. Spaced out and took off. Later on i realized what had happened when i arrived w/o shoes! Dadgummit! One quick way to break in shoes, messed up the heel cup somewhat.

take it easy...

1centaur
04-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Somewhere in Indiana, an engineer is banging is head with the palm of his hand thinking, "we can roll over these wheels with a multi-ton vehicle but we can't survive cobbles. Why? Why? Why?"

Patience, grasshopper.

Tobias
04-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Don't confuse durability with luck. ;)

Nathanrtaylor
04-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Don't confuse durability with luck. ;)

story of my life.

toaster
04-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Are you still gonna ride on the wheel?

TAW
04-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Are you still gonna ride on the wheel?

Actually rode it this afternoon just to check it out. Seems fine, much to my amazement. I guess it's better to be lucky than good. Like Tobias said, it was more good fortune than durability. I'm certainly not going to run over it again just to see if it was luck or durability.

Louis
04-13-2009, 11:00 PM
I too learned the hard way to place things against the SIDE of the vehicle, not the front or back.

Also, place them on the hood, right in front of the driver, not on the roof.