PDA

View Full Version : Mid-90's Coppi frames?

acorn_user
04-13-2009, 12:39 PM
So I'm still stuck with a Graham Weigh 853 I can't ride due to a stuck seatpost (and my abysmal attempts to remove it), a Colnago that is too small and a Raleigh Cross bike that is excellent for shorter trips but not quite the long distance ride/race bike I'm looking for. I could get a NOS Coppi frame from Hungary in my size in Columbus Aelle, EL or Genius. Can anyone speak to the quality of these frames? The price is right :)

Kervin
04-13-2009, 01:10 PM
I had a EL Coppi for a while that was very nice. I rode it with a carbon and a steel fork. I used 23mm tires with Mavic alum deep rims and thought it felt great on the roads around here. I'd pass on the Aelle frame, from back in the day I remember those feeling thick and soft.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=33265&stc=1

TMB
04-13-2009, 01:12 PM
I have a Coppi in Genius tubing.

It is a lovely bike and a lovely ride.

I would not hesitate to go for it but go for EL or Genius. Probably best Genius, unless the EL is oversized.

After one ride on the Coppi I knew it was a long term keeper.

Hardlyrob
04-13-2009, 02:15 PM
My winter bike is a Coppi Campionissimo in Columbus Thron - great ride, aggressive HT / ST angles. Handles well. If I still raced, I wouldn't hesitate to race this frame - nicely made, really straight. Chromed rear triangle, and half chromed fork - a nice retro look.

I think mine might be a little older - maybe 1990 or so? These frames show up often on eBay, and are a really good deal. I got the frame with some paint damage for about $200 two years ago. They were made by Masciaghi (sp?), and the Coppi designer was the designer behind Ciocc.

Nice bike - I'd buy another if the price was right.

Cheers!

Rob

acorn_user
04-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback :)

There are so many good options out there. I'm suffering from "qual der Wahl". Of course, if that seat post would come out....

Hardlyrob
04-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Have you tried all of These (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html) ways to un-stuck the seat post?

toaster
04-14-2009, 08:49 AM
As the last resort cutting the seatpost off a half inch or so above the seat tube and sawing two slits in the inside of the seat post is the only way to go.

You have to get a hacksaw blade into a handle that allows you to work carefully to create the two opposing cuts.

It is very laborious but take your time and you'll get it. I did it once.

TMB
04-14-2009, 09:08 AM
I think all of you making suggestions to remove the seatpost are really being quite rude about this whole thing.

The proper thing to do with a member of the fraternity is to let him know how nice the Coppi's are, and encourage him to get one.

THEN tell him how to get the seatpost out.
:beer:

toaster
04-14-2009, 09:17 AM
I think all of you making suggestions to remove the seatpost are really being quite rude about this whole thing.

The proper thing to do with a member of the fraternity is to let him know how nice the Coppi's are, and encourage him to get one.

THEN tell him how to get the seatpost out.
:beer:

Agreed. Coppi's are NICE!

Cantdog
04-14-2009, 09:18 AM
That hacksaw trick didn't work when I tried it, albeit the seatpost was reeeeeally stuck. I had to cut the top of the seatpost up, mounted the frame to a mill table, and slowly reamed out the old seatpost until it was so thin it pulled right out. Way more effort that was worth for the frame, but it did work.

acorn_user
04-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Seatpin efforts so far:
put in old saddle and twist
lots of liquid wrench type product
putting into vice and twisting on frame
drilling seat post, putting an allen key in there, then twisting
sawing off top and treating with wd-40 and ammonia
more sawing and crushing the ends to try and crumple it to allow more flow of ammonia
Russian techniques involving hammers, huge levers and monster wrenches (this resulted in some dead tools)
A Sawzall attack is next up. This frame is my first ever road bike. I bought it from a shack type bike shop run by a grumpy old school bike shop guy in Northhumbria then built it up with a friend's help... so I guess I am attached to that frame :)
However, I am seriously considering a Coppi as a replacement. It's either a Coppi or go nuts and go custom....

TMB
04-14-2009, 10:22 AM
However, I am seriously considering a Coppi as a replacement. It's either a Coppi or go nuts and go custom....

It doesn't have to be an either or .............

As you point out, the Coppi's are cheap.

In fact so cheap I think about another from time to time.

But what you can do is buy a Coppi, ride it and then you have a nice bike to ride while you wait for a custom in the future.

I really do like mine. I have decided that I am going to strip the DA 8 speed off of it when I next get the chance, and put some Campag 10 speed on - I think I will ride it more this way and it is a nice ride.

Hardlyrob
04-14-2009, 11:03 AM
But what you can do is buy a Coppi, ride it and then you have a nice bike to ride while you wait for a custom in the future.

Now you're talking! Get the Coppi so you have something to ride while you wrestle your other frame to the ground and get the seat post out. Then get on Dave Kirk's, Mike Zanconato's, Carl Strong's or Curt Goodrich's list and have something special int he works.

Cheers!

Rob

TMB
04-14-2009, 11:22 AM
FWIW - my Coppi is a bit of a "happy accident".

I was bored over Christmas holidays - 2007/2008 and trolling eBay ( a dangerous pastime!).

Anyway I put "Columbus Genius" in as a search string and it came back with a sale ending in 35 minutes - I was the only bidder and got the frame and fork for $199.00.

I am very happy I did and enjoy it greatly.