PDA

View Full Version : Moots VaMoots YBB

snah
04-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Anyone with knowledge or experience on this frame? Been watching one on Ebay. Thanks.

Ken Robb
04-13-2009, 09:44 AM
I have a Hampsten Strada Biance w/YBB built by Moots and it is a terrific bike. The Hampstens design these with more tire clearance and somewhat relaxed geos than the standard Moots. I prefer that but standard Moots geos would still give you a dandy road bike with a rear end that smooths the bumps and stays planted on swoopy bumpy descents better that any other bike I have ridden.

snah
04-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks Ken. Do you notice any loss of power transfer due to the suspension?

crossjunkee
04-13-2009, 11:20 AM
You should ride one before you make the call. The bob becomes annoying on flat ground. It's just a spring, not really suspension.

I recently sold a YBB on ebay (mountain bike) and I thought it was great until I actually rode a bike with rear suspension. I'm glad the YBB is gone.

But I guess that depends on price too.

gearguywb
04-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Love the YBB on a mountain bike. Just enough to take the edge off hits. I have a Moots cross bike as well (rigid). I would think the YBB movement would be a detractor on a road bike. Could see it on a cross bike if you consistently rode tough trails.

Ken Robb
04-13-2009, 12:53 PM
I think this is a road bike, is it not? If I get sloppy/wild pedaling hard at high rpm I can make it bounce a little but that's just a reminder to smooth my stroke :) . Pal PB Wrench borrowed it for a few days. He's a much better/stronger rider that I and has some wonderful bikes. He loved it so much that when I'm done with it :beer: my widow is supposed to call him and tell him where to send her the check.

Satellite
04-13-2009, 04:37 PM
My wife VaMoots is a YBB, she constantly asks me if the suspension is even working because she doesn't feel it. I always tell her the samething it is working away. The YBB is nice because you can lock it out if you want the hardtail. Also the YBB road version doesn't have as much travel as the mountain version. I would say it is much the same ride as the Terra Logic and the Hors Categorie.

Here is a good review of the VaMoots YBB:
http://www.dreambike.com/vamootstest.htm

Satellite

Ken Robb
04-14-2009, 06:48 PM
my YBB piston moves at least 3/4" on every ride. I can tell by the smeared oil on it. I never saw and H'ors Cat with that much travel.

happycampyer
04-14-2009, 07:29 PM
The VaMoots YBB is a great all-around, mixed terrain (road, dirt and gravel paths, etc.), all-day riding bike, imo. I wouldn't get one and put 21mm tires on it, though.

With the fork that is on the bike on eBay (a WoundUp), you should have clearance for a reasonably plush tire. I am able to run 28mm Roll-y Pol-y's on my Vamoots (standard, not YBB), but just barely. They are a tight fit especially in back, but I have a 56 which has a slightly shorter chainstay than the 59 on the 'bay. I also have a YBB mtb, and if I'm mashing away when riding on smooth pavement I'll notice the movement of the YBB but it disappears when I smooth out my pedal stroke.

I am very tempted to have Steve H build me a Hamptsen/Moots Strada Bianca one of these days. Ken's bike is the bomb.

Satellite
04-14-2009, 08:12 PM
my YBB piston moves at least 3/4" on every ride. I can tell by the smeared oil on it. I never saw and H'ors Cat with that much travel.I agree the H'ors Cat doesn't have as much travel I was just stating it is the same concept different implementation.

snah
04-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Really appreciate the feedback. Here's hoping the bids stay reasonable, sounds like one for me.

happycampyer
04-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Did you win it? $1,880 is a great price for that bike.