PDA

View Full Version : Concours Ti report

NHAero
04-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Yesterday was my first longish ride (54 miles) on my new-to-me Concours. My motivation in buying this frame (eBay) was to see if a 4.5 cm shorter top tube would address my comfort issues on my old (1972) Bob Jackson. I think it's really going to help! My route had plenty of poor pavement (NH and VT in the spring) and is fairly hilly, and overall even though it's early in the season for me I was more comfortable that I have been on a road bike for a long time (although still slow :-)

It's a combo of retro and new - Phil BB and Sugino AT cranks set up as a 50-34 (I prefer narrow Q), and bar end shifters, and Nitto Soba bars with tektro levers, and XT fd and XTR rd (so I can add a triple if necessary). Wheels are Nimble Spiders and brakes are ZG Ti, mostly because the Ultegras I had interfere with the shift cables on the head tube.

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked. Very nice riding bike, especially for such a short wheelbase compared to my old bike, and the lightest bike I've ever owned.

I got some good advice from this board and I want to say, thanks! to all of you.

MattTuck
04-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Where in NH do you ride? Any where near Hanover?

Glad the ride feels good!

Pete Serotta
04-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Glad the ride feels good. YEs 4+CM top tube reduction will give a different position and thus ride.

The weather here was good also this weekend..

Thanks for posting. PETE

NHAero
04-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Where in NH do you ride? Any where near Hanover?

Glad the ride feels good!

I live 14 miles south of Hanover. This ride was Meriden around Mt Ascutney and back.

ericspin
04-13-2009, 04:37 AM
My Concours is the one bike that always avoids the classifieds.

I just cannot imagine ever selling it.................most comfortable road bike I have ever ridden.

konstantkarma
04-13-2009, 06:58 AM
My Concours is the one bike that always avoids the classifieds.

I just cannot imagine ever selling it.................most comfortable road bike I have ever ridden.

Ditto! I was out for a 30 mile ride yesterday, the first of the year on my Concours. All previous rides were on my steel Bianchi crud bike with 28 mm tires. It is a pretty cushy ride so I was prepared for the adjustment to the 23mm tires on the Concours, and the stiffer ride on our chipseal roads. The ride was more comfortable than the Bianchi, despite the more agressive position and the narrow tires.....now if I could just lose some lbs. :)

I've said it here before, but I think riding the Concours is like riding on bubble wrap....the big bubbles.